[Help!] Trying to play music to gf/friends over Zoom/Skype

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by RobPhoboS, Jun 13, 2020.

1. RobPhoboS

RobPhoboS SS.org Regular

Hey guys, I'm not sure anyone has had any luck doing this but it's been a royal pain in the butt !

I'm just trying to play what I've been learning on the guitar to my gf or friends over something like Zoom or Skype.

I initially tried using a mic in front of my monitor speaker so they would hear a bit of the original songs plus my guitar over it.
    I went through the options of using 'original sound' (turning off auto adjust volume, persistent background noise, intermittent background noise) and having their audio go into my headphones. But it seems that Zoom was still doing weird and the audio was quiet for them.

Then I tried sharing the screen and computer audio in Zoom.
    If I just played an MP3 through MPC they could hear that (although it seems it heavily chops the lows/highs/boost mids so vocals are very loud) but not the guitar.
    Then I tried playing everything through Cakewalk and they can't hear a sausage.

I'm using an Audient iD14 as my interface.

I've nearly given up now but thought I'd ask you guys to see if you have any luck with this !
    :eek:

JesperX likes this.
  2. Sylim

Sylim SS.org Regular

yeah, this can be tough. audio of video chat seems to be tailored to speech to reduce bandwidth usage in the servers. i also notice when you play music through video chat the audio inexplicably almost turns completely off. i guess one tip i´d have is, don´t make it too loud and just let the audio go through your webcam mic. right now i teach some students via video chat and at least it works. it´s not pretty, but it works.

3. vortex_infinium

vortex_infinium SS.org Regular

Open a second instance of Skype and set the audio Skypes input device as your final output device. Then you should be able to mute/unmute the user as needed to play audio.

I haven't done this in Skype personally, nor opened it to check the settings, but I have done it in other comms like TS, so I don't see why it shouldn't be possible.

4. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

The issue is desktop audio vs asio audio.

Zoom, Skype, Microsoft teams etc cannot see asio audio.

If your interface has a loopback option then that will fix it for you. Another option is to create a mix output and use a cable to route it back to an input.

There's a plugin called reasound by cockos (the reaper team) which can also solve this issue, but it requires you to use another piece of software like obs streamlabs etc to receive your DAW audio and pass it on to your video client.

All in all... It's a stupid pain in the ass. I've successfully got it working with my RME babyface pro, but I'm using internal loopback.

Matt08642 likes this.
  5. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I do know that there's a "virtual cable" driver you can use to pipe the output of any audio program to the input of another. I forget what it's called, but google can help out you. Combine this with reaper or whatever you use to balance things out, use the virtual cable as the input device in your chat program, and you should be good to go.

6. RobPhoboS

RobPhoboS SS.org Regular

Many thanks for your suggestions guys !
    It's almost as if there is a gap in the app market here for something...

I shall try and see what I can do with those options, and I'll let you know how it pans out :)

7. RobPhoboS

RobPhoboS SS.org Regular

Hmm. It just seems utterly crap at doing this, I don't know how you guys get it to work !
    I now have my Amplifire headphones out going into the pc, and the audio out going into my iD14 (as usual).
    What I was hoping for, which I think it's doing, is just to have my guitar being played over an MP3. Pretty simple.

The problem is the program itself, it keeps changing the volume down and screwing it up.

Unfortunately the iD14 doesn't have a loopback feature.

8. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Can you play into a DAW and live monitor your guitar while having an mp3 playing in the DAW at the same time (Reaper can do this easily)? Then you just share computer audio (easy to do on Zoom, not sure on other platforms). I haven't tried to do something like this on Windows in many years though, so not sure if it'll work.

9. RobPhoboS

RobPhoboS SS.org Regular

I didn't even need to load it into Reaper (which I've just moved over to), just sent the headphone out from the pedal to the in on the motherboard.
    But that then means the mic is disabled as it only allows 1 input ffs.

Aside from that, it then decides to reduce the audio level down extremely low after about 1 or 2 seconds for the person at the other end. When you stop playing the volume goes back up, and again straight back down once something is playing (whether that's an MP3 or my guitar).
    :facepalm:

10. RobPhoboS

RobPhoboS SS.org Regular

Right, this may be useful to someone, I found a virtual loopback type of thing for Win:

https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/index.htm

I'm not sure it'll solve the issue of these programs ducking the audio level down but this should be handy !

11. 93arnaldo

93arnaldo SS.org Regular

Hi, this is something that is happening to me as well. Has anybody came up with a solution?
    Essentially, to recap, if you share computer audio on Zoom and then there's an input from a mic, the volume of the shared audio goes down and does oscillations.

This is the only place I could find with a similar issue. Is nobody else encountering this issue? We have a mac and a pc at home and we have found it only happens to Windows machines.

Thanks!

12. RobPhoboS

RobPhoboS SS.org Regular

Hey there, a good friend that's been teaching guitar via these programs has done ok with it.
    But I need to check in with him to see if he changed anything other than the usual. I effectively gave up !