Help! Repairing paint damage due to UPS

WarMachine

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
All good advice here. Make sure you go lightly on the clear as well. And as someone who went to school for autobody/collision repair i can tell you that white is the devils color for clear coat lol. All other paint colors look chalky or matte before adding clear so it's easier to see how your applying it. With white you're going to have to use the lighting well to see your coverage. Start out light, add more coats when the masking tape is still tacky, not sticky enough to get your finger stuck. Your flash times will vary from different brands but typically about 10-15 mins should be enough time between coats. Just double check by touching that tape. And after a few coats, wet sand with 1000-1200 grit wet sand paper, clean and repeat. Sucks they dicked up your headstock dude but you'll get it looking good again!

EDIT: another old school painters trick, after your paint it and before you add the clear, take a brown paper bag and rub the area down. No shit lol. You'll pull up all the loose paint and have it clean for the clearcoat without having to use a tack cloth. Sounds crazy but it works.

Last edited:

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
For those following along at home, my UPS claim is still “in progress.” Interestingly, UPS has something called Insure Shield, which appears to just be the same thing as the regular insurance, but costs more so you get paid faster. I love when companies fail to deliver on a service, then charge extra for a newer version of it. What’s next, Fed Ex has a Premier service, where they’ll not lose your package?

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Good news! After like 3 months UPS said they approved the claim. I’m not 100% sure what that means, as they now send paper work to the shipper, and reimburse him. Fortunately, it’s Brett Beebe, who is a good guy. I’ve done a number of deals with him (and he buys and sells routinely) so he DM’ed me and told me they contacted him and said he needs to fill out paperwork from his end (that’s how I actually found out it now goes to him). So hopefully they reimburse enough where I can get a legitimate repair done. I’m not sure what the actual paperwork Brett got, but I’ll post it here when he mentions it. So far I’ve had to submit a boat load of photos and a description via their website and email.

Brayden Buckingham

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Little bit late but I figured you or the seller can probably bondo it back ( that stuff holds pretty good I've used it in industrial applications for touch ups ) and then razor the excessive amounts off when pressed together , and hit it with some very fine sandpaper . Paint over top of bondo seems to look pretty good from what I've seen . Not perfect , but pretty close for the minimal price and time involved . Just an idea . Hopefully everything gets sorted out for you though !

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Man, UPS is so disorganized. So, I submitted a claim on their online claim page (which is where they directed me to do it). Then I called nearly 3 months later, asking what the hold up was, and they told me they would expedite it. They asked for 7 specific photos, and I told them they were already uploaded. They said no, email them instead. So I emailed them a couple of days later. Then they said those were insufficient, and asked for more photos, which I sent last Tuesday. Then on Friday Brett DM'd me that they called him in the morning and said they were working on it. But that afternoon he got a letter in the mail that said after repeated attempts to get a look at the damage, and no response from us, they're closing the case. But we can reopen it if we want. I think they have 3 different departments that are not working together on this or something. I can't figure out how else things would be so disorganized. But, I'm going to call tomorrow again to see if they inspected the last 3 photos.