Help & Opinions about this Mix

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by DropTheSun, Dec 24, 2020.

1. DropTheSun

DropTheSun SS.org Regular

I am planning to do a "every day mix template" in my DAW, that has everything ready,. So I can just record my ideas and share them quickly without the need of mixing again... and again.

If you could take a listen and give your opinion what I should fix, that would be great!

https://soundcloud.com/mediumplayer/brutalboi

2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

The thing that stands out to me right away is that each instrument sounds a bit like it's in a different space, particularly right at the beginning, so there's a bit of a lack of "glue" because of that. Outside of that, I hear nothing obvious.

DropTheSun likes this.
  3. DropTheSun

hmm, thanks man. Any tips how to glue things together better? Tape saturation?

4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I don't think it's a "fix it with a plugin" kind of observation, more of a how-to-approach-everything kind of thing - like if the guitars are very bright and reverb-y, but the drums are dark and dry, they won't sound like they're in the same place. I don't mean "glue" as in "put a compressor over everything to glue them together", I meant more that during the intro, for example, the bass is very present and upfront, but everything else is space-y and verb-y when it comes in. It's subtle/minor.

DropTheSun likes this.
  5. DropTheSun

Ok, now I get it! Thanks!
    I have to listen some of my fav artists with ”critical ears” and see how they get Ambient leads to work in the mix.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  6. DropTheSun

7. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

The guitars lack high end, they're too dark and muffled. They're also too loud. The snare is overly aggressive and in your face, while the kick is barely audible. Overheads are too quiet and lack high as well.

What kind of monitoring situation do you have? What you really should do is to have several reference tracks on hand and switch back and forth between them and your mix. You should immediately hear the deficiencies of your mix.

8. DropTheSun

Thanks man! I’ll give another look at this mix and try to fix those issues you mentioned. I haven’t done side by side comparisons to any reference songs, but will do that. Thanks for that tip. I use AKG K550 headphones, ’cause I usually have time for music when my kids are a sleep.

9. DropTheSun

10. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

I think this advice has led you in the wrong direction. Your guitars didn't lack high end. Guitars don't really need anything over 8-10kHz. The newer mix is thin to me and gives a real buzzy character to the guitars that you wouldn't see in a high end mix, and I preferred the tone of the earlier mix.

I think it's that your mix in general was lacking high end. Your cymbals aren't loud or bright enough. The snare wasn't "too loud" it was perfect, it was just gain staged wrong and causing issues with compression. Your drums balance is all over too low as I suspect you're a guitarist and not much of a drummer and you instinctively want the guitars loud. He's definitely right about the kick and overheads/cymbals.

Your compression is pumping a bit and really it shows your gain staging issues.

Couple of questions might help:
    How are you gain staging at to what reference point are you gain staging?
    What are you monitoring and referencing on speaker/headphone wise?
    What songs are you using as reference material?
    How much processing are you doing on the mix? Can we see some screenshots of what you're doing?

11. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

Oh no, something went wrong, it's even worse now. Sounds really scooped, I'm not even sure what to recommend now.

You really should rely on reference tracks. Play your mix, and then quickly switch to a reference mix.