Help narrow down which truck to buy.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Bearitone, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Been driving a sedan for over 10 years and I can’t count the number of times I’ve wished I had a truck. I want to pull the trigger on something within the next 3 months.

I want a truck that I can own and drive for literally the next 20 to 30 years. Who knows i might even have a little family of my own so it has to be future proof in that regard as well.

Leaning towards diesels for their shear longevity alone. I hear tons of stories of Diesels lasting to 1000000 miles.

Looking for:
    -Reliable
    -Long lasting
    -Under 120,000 miles on the odo if Diesel
    -Under 60,000 miles if gas
    -No bigger than a modern 1500
    -Year doesn’t matter. Literally does not matter to me
    -at least 15mpg city

Budget $25000

what would you buy?

2. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

$25k in the truck market won't get you very far these days. I would tbh look into a used Tacoma 2wd. Unless there's a reason that you need a larger platform, I'd go smaller just for the maneuverability/ parking advantage alone... as well as fuel savings as opposed to a bigger power-plant. I've had a good deal of Toyota sedans and trucks and they are really a great vehicle. Fwiw- I have almost 228,000 miles on my '99 4Runner and she's still going strong... knock on wood.

BenjaminW likes this.
  3. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Sounds like a tacoma to me.

Ive never had a toyota truck, but my camrys were rocks.

4. Scordare

Scordare SS.org Regular

I would forget the diesel.. yeah they have the potential for higher mileage but maintenance is a lot more expensive and some places won’t work on them...then there’s the smell. Also a diesel isn’t available in most 1500 trucks. It’s hard to imagine modern trucks lasting as long as older ones have with their 20+ computers, all the plastic and planned obsolescence. I am a mechanic and honestly don’t know what I would pick for myself.. Good luck!

Bearitone likes this.
  5. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

Toyota Tundra Crewmax with a Procomp Nitro 3/1 level kit and Toyo ATII 305/55/20 tires on Fuel rims.

Bearitone and Seabeast2000 like this.
  6. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

I'm down for something old. I don't have a garage, and I commute so it can't be something I need to work on a lot and I have to be able to depend on it. Anything from the 70's or 80's that you would recommend? If by some small chance I come across a semi-barn-find with low miles I wouldn't count it out. I love how the 1st gen Rangers look.

7. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

Since people have brought up Toyotas, I highly recommend watching Top Gear killing an old Toyota Hilux if you have not seen it yet. They are really are tanks disguised as cars I'm telling you.

budda likes this.
  8. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

While not my favorite, it seems like a 80s to early 2000s Silverado would be the best bet for longevity and easy-to-work-on-ed-ness. Not only did it sell well on its own, but they shared many parts with not only GMC Sierra, but also their SUV counterparts. Many parts are plentiful in salvage yards, and aftermarket.

Since your budget is up to $25k, though, you're likely looking at newer trucks than what I'm thinking.

9. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Diesel only makes sense if you're doing a lot commuting and hauling. If you're going to be doing a bunch of city driving you're not going to get the efficiency (mpg) or longevity advantages.

I've had a few diesel vehicles over the years, and really, much of the modern environmental compliance setups (like urea adds) kills much of the allure outside of having something like a hauling rig for business/toys.

For $25k, I think your two best choices are either the newest Tacoma you can find used and afford, or a new/last year F150. That's the position I was in a couple years ago when my old Ranger finally shat the bed for the last time (made it to 230k). I went for the F150, and don't regret it. Will it last 20+ years? Probably not. But, I've owned enough vehicles to know that's never a guarantee.

The Monster With . likes this.
  10. The Monster With .

The Monster With . SS.org Regular

I have to agree with what most have said about diesel trucks. My family has run Cummings diesels almost exclusively for 25 years, and we currently have 3. No doubt it's a great engine, but a lot of times I think to myself, 'why are we still running these expensive diesel trucks?' Maintenance costs is a big part of it, and also the lowering of quality/over complication of all the parts around said engine, including electrical and even drivetrain issues.

A couple years old f150 or Toyota is a great shout. As far as an old truck, I'm partial to the 89-93 Dodge rams. Easy to work on, solid axles, basic 318/360 v8's, basic leaf spring suspension and simple electric fuel system, so no carburetor to worry about.

11. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I have nothing to add except targeting 15mpg(US) makes me weep for the planet.

budda and Mathemagician like this.
  12. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Do you want a Unibody? Because Hyundai is making an announcement on their new Santa Cruz (built on the Santa Fe) in about a week. Kia is likely to also announce one similar soon, and Ford announced the Maverick which may be launching this year if I read it right (built on the new bronco).

My Hyundai Accent has run for over 13 years with minimal maintenance. Tires/belts/etc. one AC repair issue in that time around year 10 or so.

All of the trucks I listed are spec’d to start below $25k, some around $20k.

Could be worthwhile to wait and see. Because I am in nearly the exact same boat as you and have been hella patient for over a year+ since Covid prevented much of anything travel-wise.

13. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Speaking of unibody, the Honda Ridgelines are really nice. Just pricey.

I'm interested to see the new Ford Maverick that's coming out.

Mathemagician likes this.
  14. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

I get about 8 miles to the gallon pulling my bike trailer.

15. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I get 40 to 50mpg no matter where I go, though my car is only rated for towing 1800kg.

16. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

Well, if I set my cruise control on 61 mph, I get back up to 15 mpg at 1500 rpm. So I just get in the far right lane and go really slow and take forever getting anywhere. The other sweet spot in tow/haul where it drops back into 6th is about 85 mph and I ain’t doin that!

StevenC likes this.
  17. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

Since moving to Europe, I just use public transport.

However, it sounds like an old Toyota is what you need. They are tanks.