Help me plan a trip in the states!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Skyblue, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Skyblue

Skyblue SS.org Regular

wel halo ther, fellow SS.org... people. :lol:

I'm about to be released from the army in about 4 months (finally), and I'm thinking about all kinds of different places to travel to, as I want to take a break before getting into Uni and everything. Now, one of the ideas I had was a trip in the US- something along the lines of North to South kind of trip (ie- starting from the canadian border and heading down towards mexico, going along the west coast).
    What I'm asking is this- first of all, assuming I'll travel by car, how long will something like that take? I mean, I'll obviously stop and see sights, but I want to know if I'm looking at a 2-3 months trip or a 2 years thing :lol:
    Second, prices. Obviously that's not something that can be estimated accurately, but I wanted to see if any of you guys would care to tell me how much would gas cost me (again, assuming I'm doing this by car), and food prices, stuff like that.
    Also- I've been toying with the idea of sleeping in the car (getting a van and sleeping in the back for example). Is this legal in most states, just parking in some parking lot and sleeping in your car? Since it isn't legal here, I want to know if it's a good idea or not...
    Thirdly, assuming I won't be getting by car- can such a thing be done using public transportation? buses, trains, so forth. and how much will motels and the such cost? (approximately, of course)

Last (for now at least)- if you guys have any recommendations about places to see I'd love to hear :)
    I know it's quite a lot of question so I'd be very happy if you could even answer just a few, anything helps :)

Thanks a lot in advance! :metal:

2. Eric Christian

Eric Christian Banned

I just made a round trip to San Diego. Gasoline expenses were $440 and it was around 1050 miles and it took 16 hours. On most freeways in America we have "Rest Areas" every so often and you can totally crash there for an hour or two. Usually out west the distances are quite immense like the San Joaquin Valley in California you just want to haul ass at night and make it through fast cause its full of cattle stockyards and it seriously smells like dookie.

A better choice would be to rent a really compact fuel efficient car. You can tent camp in literally any rural areas on State Forest, BLM or National Forest land. Plus there are established campgrounds as well. Then when you get to urban area only stay at this place called "Motel 6" it's consistently good and averages around $50 a night for a full 24 hours.

Better yet you can crash on the couch of of all seven stringers as well right?!

So yeah fly into Seattle and have lunch at the Space Needle and then head south to Portland. Not much to see here, maybe get a Voodoo Doughnut and catch a rock show. Depending on the season you can go to Mt. Hood for sking or mtn biking. Then you should hit the Oregon Coast at Newport where I'm from and eat some of our famous seafood at "Mo's". After that detour catch I-5 again and just head south into California. You can take the cutoff and go see the Redwoods but the roads are seriously long and twisty. Either way you gotta cut over and go across the Golden Gate Bridge and check out San Francisco for a day. Next head south to LA. You're gonna want to spend a week there. And you absolutely must go to "Magic Mountain". Then spend a night in Hollywood and catch a show there. There's too many things to list so yeah maybe LA people can give you more ideas.

Next head to Vegas and spend a night. Then check out Moab and the Grand Canyon. From there it's the vastness of the Midwest. Hundreds of miles of wheat & corn fields, oppressive humidity and the front of your car plastered with millions of bugs. You could veer south and travel through Texas as well. Then there's the East which I know nothing about. Happy Trails!

3. gavn13

gavn13 Well-Known Member

you can easily do the north south drive in 16 hours but I'd go from Michigan out west to Cali then come back east and end in Florida or something they maybe up the coast to Boston. Then with sight seeing you would be getting closer to your month or two. As far as sleeping in your car I think in most states it is legal as long as your parked legally and if its private property you need the owners permission, also make sure your in a safe area.

4. Skyblue

Skyblue SS.org Regular

Thanks for the answers guys! sorry it took me a bit of time, I'm at the base most of the week so internet access is a bit hard to get...

Anyway, I'm planning a relaxed trip- not getting from A to B the fastest way possible, so how long it takes doesn't seem to be an issue (I was just worried it'll be too long, and that doesn't seem to be the case).

I'm guessing now Il'l just need to decide on a route, and see if I can get the money together and everything...

Suggestions on places to visit are welcome of course :)

And of course I thought about meeting (and potentially crashing at) SS.org members, but I'll be with a friend, so we'll see how that goes~

5. AngstRiddenDreams

AngstRiddenDreams Filthy Casual

Well as far as the West Coast goes, I'd say Highway 101 would tickle your fancy.

6. Shimme

Shimme Wants a Seven String

Dear god, listen to this advice. If you're sightseeing, avoid the midwest at all costs - early explorers described it as a wasteland of grass. You can spend a good 6 hours driving across Nebraska to Colorado without seeing anything besides wheat and cattle.

Take a detour through the south, the swamps of Louisiana are at least an interesting wasteland of vegetation with oppressive humidity and car- plastering bugs. :lol: Also New Orleans is a fantastic city to visit if you have the chance.

7. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Travel around the northwest.
    Northern Cali up through Oregon and Washington and then down through Idaho and Nevada. Might as well end in Vegas just to say you did.

I would suggest zig-zagging instead of just hitting 101/I-5 north.
    Crescent City CA (redwoods/smith river) over to Grants Pass OR (Oregon Caves), then over to Klammath Falls (tons of wilderness areas and birds/eagles), up to Bend then eventually Mt. Hood (the overlook hotel from The Shinning) and the Columbia River Gorge.

From there you could go either way really and not lose out at all.
    Eastern Oregon has some crazy cool areas of all types, and Northern/Eastern Idaho is a mountain man's paradise.
    If heading on up into Washington State you wouldn't want to miss Mt. St. Helens National Area, Mt. Rainer, The Olympic Peninsula, or North Cascades.

8. will_shred

will_shred Wannabe audio engineer

Don't forget about Colorado!

If I could go anywhere in the states right now it would be colorado.

You know, for the nature...

9. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

The only states in the Midwest worth spending time in are Wisconsin, Illinois (Chicago area is great!), and Michigan (other than Detroit). The rest is worth avoiding.

I drove from Michigan to Arizona and went through all the most boring parts of the country.

That being said, the OP should definitely start on the East Coast and drive all the way across the country. The longer the road trip the better! Go big or go home! I've always wanted to do that :lol:

10. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

This, I drove a bit of it in January. Definitely check it out if you have the chance!

11. 7stg

7stg SS.org Regular

If you like mountains, check out the northwest. There is cascade range in western Washington and Oregon there are several passes that cross it. northeastern Oregon has the blue mountains see Joseph, or into northern Idaho out of Lewiston, ID and western Montana the Rocky mountains. There are plenty of nice side roads. there are several ways beyond the interstate to get from Missoula, MT to Washington and Oregon.

yellowstone is great, if you go also look at the roads around the park like the beartooth path and chief joseph scenic highway and the western side south into jackson hole.

gas prices are at gas buddy

you can sleep in your car or van in some states and more likely rural areas, not really in big cities.
    This find state or federal forest it free, state parks usually have a small fee. Motel 6 are cheep so are super 8 and usually good, but always read the reviews on line before checking in to not get bed bugs and such, there are a few that are not up to par. Small non-chain motels are great too.

California has a coastal highway U.S. Route 101 which is scenic. U.S. Route 395 is on the east end of the state. what ever you do get gas before heading out of Lakeview, OR and Standish, CA its 144 miles and there is no gas in between. there are a few other places like this I know the I-70 pass from Colorado to Utah has a long stretch. The pass is beautiful and there are many side roads worth exploring here too.