Help me pick out a beginner motorcycle

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mukersman, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Mukersman

Mukersman SS.org Regular

I know this isn't a motorcycle forum, but I would appreciate the help. I'm trying to find a first bike in the $2000-$2500 range, but I don't really know what to look for.

Drawing from my experience in looking for guitars, I know I don't want something that might soon feel inadequate because it would probably be many years before I worked up the cash again to trade up. I'm looking at the standard/cruiser style because it seems more comfortable than a sport bike and I think the insurance would be cheaper for me.

The one bike I've actually looked at in person was this Suzuki 2006 GZ250

It's relatively light and has room for 2 and that's about the extent of my knowledge. Can anyone offer some more advice? I've seen a fair bit of warning not to get a bike over 250cc for a beginner, but that's usually brought up when people refer to sport bikes. Is it different for standard bikes?

2. Jontain

Jontain SS.org Regular

The power to engine size ratio really depends on the type of bike as they are all geared differently to produce power in different parts of the rev range.

Personally I would look at a something like the sv650/er6 which are 650's but they're a v-twin and a parallel twin so they produce power in a more user friendly way than an all out sports bike (i.e. torque in the mid range), bikes like this also have a more comfortable riding position than any of the sport/supersports bikes. Also having that bit more power over a 250 you will be less likely to get bored with it along with being a bit more comfortable at cruising speeds.

But it is also down to you as a rider, do you have much experience riding bikes, good clutch control etc? What sort of bike would you aspire to owning? What sort of riding will you be doing (i.e. commuting, trips or weekend blasts?)

3. pink freud

pink freud SS.org Regular

See if you can find a TU250 instead. Fuel injected means less hassle.

4. sage

sage twerk twerk thall

Mrs. Sage actually owns a GZ 250. It was her first bike and she's had a lot of fun with it. It's a relatively simple platform, easy to operate, not liable to run you off to the graveyard with a burst of power, and kind of a fun little ride. But it is a small person's bike. At 5'2", 118, she's comfortable on it, but it won't do highway speeds. Also, as an air cooled, one cylinder bike, it sucks when you get stuck in traffic in the summer as it is prone to overheating.

As a rider, I would say look into something in the 400cc range. Around these parts, your insurance is the same for a 250 as it is for a 400. The 400 will get you something that you can use on the highway and something that you will use for longer before flipping it for a bigger bike. The power increase is enough that you can feel it, but not so much that one accidental twist of the wrist will have you riding the handsome.

5. mr_rainmaker

mr_rainmaker Resident Cherokee

what I recommend to all new riders is find a friend who has a small dirtbike who can teach you the basics before you step out onto the road,go by your local motorcycle shop and don`t be afraid to ask,you might find someone there to help you on your journey :)

6. WarriorOfMetal

WarriorOfMetal The Dragonrider Contributor

:yesway:

I really want to get my M endorsement and get a bike, and this is the main one I'm interested in.

7. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

Definately learn on a dirtbike if you can and take a safety course. Look into LS650's/S40's. They've been around for a long time and have been basically unchanged. I don't really consider it a "beginner bike" but the power is managable, it's relatively light weight, and easy to maintain. I agree you will get bored with a 250 and if you plan on highway riding you'll want more motor. They are extremely reliable if maintained properly. It is a carbureted bike though, treat the fuel in the winter or drain it completely. I work at a shop and right now is the time where our service dept. gets slammed with carb jobs from people who let untreated fuel sit in the bowl all winter.

8. Eric Christian

Eric Christian Banned

My experience with motorcycles is I grew up riding dirt bikes and eventually ended up racing amateur intermediate AMA Motocross for over 10 years. Plus I worked as a B-Tech at a Honda dealer for a year. I've also had several different Japanese sport and cruiser bikes all of which I rode down and back to SoCal many times from Oregon.

So yeah, unless you're like 5'3" and weigh less than 150 lbs with your gear then this isn't the bike for you. Get a bike that fits you and has enough power. 650cc at least and full size. I'm not telling you to get a Hayabusa. for gods sake but you'd be surprised how much trouble you can actually avoid by having power to spare on tap with the twist of a wrist.

That said, I've personally swore off riding for quite some time now. And I wouldn't recommend motorcycling to anyone at all... ever... Its simply too dangerous for so many reasons but its also addictive as well which makes it that much worse. However if you must get a bike then a good choice is a "Dual-Sport" like a Suzuki DR650 or Honda XR650L. This way when you get ran off the road by some dummy texting you and your bike simply adapt to the conditions.