Help Me Pick a Bedroom Rig - HX Stomp + Headphones?

Crundles

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well, I just went ahead, placed an order for the Sennheiser HD 560S and paid via PayPall, since the store page explicitly listed in stock, and immediately after I get a call from the store that no, actually, it's not in stock, their website just wasn't updated.

The Stomp arrives on the 4th, they're expecting a delivery on the 7th or 8th.

Which is hardly the biggest problem faced by a person in human history, but I really wanted to check it out during the weekend, and also what do you mean the website wasn't updated :<

Crundles

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Welp double post but, IT HERE

IMG-20201202-111149.jpg

Shame I can't actually hear what it sounds like for now. Wonder if I can connect my THR10X as an improv FRFR speaker until the headphones appear

Crundles

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The THR has a “flat” setting doesn’t it?

I would use the Aux in instead.

It does have a flat mode, yes - I'll investigate over the weekend.

I did get a call from the shop that the headphone delivery may occur on Thursday, and they can have it shipped to me on Friday, since it's the same city, but we'll see.

Crundles

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Finally got everything delivered, plugged it all in, sounds are definitely being made.

Updated the software/Stomp, played around with the default presets, then tried to make a few simple boost - amp - cab presets from scratch. I've very little idea of what I'm doing, but they still sound pretty nice, and 2 hours went by unnoticed. I'll defintely have to look around for a few tutorials, mostly on EQing.

Also, I cannot believe how much BFG Division slaps through these HD560s.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
If there's Leon Todd tutorials for the stomp, they'd be worth a watch :yesway:.

Bender.folder

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Might add suggestion of buying some Impulse responses . I loved the helix lt tones I got through headphones; better feel than most of vsts and free plugins I use right now but the stock cabs provided in the helix sounded nowhere as good as with a proprer IR.
Seacow cabs free ones are ok to start and define what you like. Any good mesa 4x12 properly miced gets good results with helix stuff from my experience. Also register on line6 so you access the preset library crafted by users. You can download presets already tailored by other people and sometime just add your cab IR to tweak or they provide links to the IR used. Some patches can be surprisingly good on their own and well made. Saves time and hassle to tweak more than play.

Have fun with your bedroom rig, did the same ditched loadbox and tubes this year for headphones and small home rig.

Nik_Left_RG

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Finally got everything delivered, plugged it all in, sounds are definitely being made.

Updated the software/Stomp, played around with the default presets, then tried to make a few simple boost - amp - cab presets from scratch. I've very little idea of what I'm doing, but they still sound pretty nice, and 2 hours went by unnoticed. I'll defintely have to look around for a few tutorials, mostly on EQing.

Also, I cannot believe how much BFG Division slaps through these HD560s.

Awesome !! I also needed a good pair of headphones and went ahead with the 770 Pros 80 ohms..

What made you for for the HD560s ?

Crundles

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Awesome !! I also needed a good pair of headphones and went ahead with the 770 Pros 80 ohms..

What made you for for the HD560s ?

I kept finding videos in youtube about how good they are for the price, and how they were a very good reference headset as well. Second, people in various gear forums couldn't agree if the HX Stomp's headphone amp was as powerful as the Helix rack, so maybe 250 ohm phones wouldn't be as good as they'd be on the big Helix.

I wanted an open-back set, so it was between the HD560s and the DT990 Pros, and people kept mentioning harsh highs on the DT990s.

Also, this is my first and last "big spend" moment for a decent while, so I wanted to get something I could be (reasonably) sure I'd like, even if it was at the very edge of my budget.

edit: All in all, I'm pretty sure I would have the exact same elation if I'd gone for the DT990s, seeing as how this is the first headset I own that's more than 30 eur.

Nik_Left_RG

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I kept finding videos in youtube about how good they are for the price, and how they were a very good reference headset as well. Second, people in various gear forums couldn't agree if the HX Stomp's headphone amp was as powerful as the Helix rack, so maybe 250 ohm phones wouldn't be as good as they'd be on the big Helix.

I wanted an open-back set, so it was between the HD560s and the DT990 Pros, and people kept mentioning harsh highs on the DT990s.

Also, this is my first and last "big spend" moment for a decent while, so I wanted to get something I could be (reasonably) sure I'd like, even if it was at the very edge of my budget.

edit: All in all, I'm pretty sure I would have the exact same elation if I'd gone for the DT990s, seeing as how this is the first headset I own that's more than 30 eur.

Thanks for the explanation. Much appreciated..