Help Me Pick a Bedroom Rig - HX Stomp + Headphones?

ATRguitar91

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Regarding the headphones, considering comfort and an enjoyable (rather than 100% accurate) listening are a priority, is there any set closer to 100 EUR that will do the job? Or should I just stop being a cheap stingy miser, and get the good ones?
I currently own the 770, 880, and HD600. They're all great in their own way. If you're going to using them for guitar and want to stay in budget, I'd go with the DT880s. Incredibly comfortable for long sessions and pretty neutral. I keep mine at work and wear them for hours every day. Open is definitely the way to go if you can. Once you hear open headphones it's hard to go back to closed.

In terms of the budget, I think there is a pretty severe drop off once you get below this bracket. That said, there's no reason to buy brand new headphones. I got both of my 770/880 used for around $120 US. If you're going to be playing primarily through headphones, it's a more than worthwhile investment.

The only open headphones under $100 I've found that I like are the Panasonic SHP9500. They''re very comfy despite not having very deep pads, and they punch way above their price range in sound. The treble is a bit grainy, and the bass a bit anemic, but this can be fixed to a point with EQ. If you just needed them for general listening I'd recommend them and do to friends. Since you'll be using them for guitar and possibly mixing in the future, I'd go for the 880.

bigcupholder

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'll probably slap the Line6 Ownhammer pack from their marketplace as soon as the stomp gets here tbh. I keep hearing criticism towards the default cabs.

Regarding the headphones, considering comfort and an enjoyable (rather than 100% accurate) listening are a priority, is there any set closer to 100 EUR that will do the job? Or should I just stop being a cheap stingy miser, and get the good ones?

I think it's worth learning to use the stock cabs in the Helix. I had mine for a couple years before I got into IRs and actually found that I like the stock cabs better, especially for sitting in a mix. All the OwnHammer ones I bought had way too much low end and something weird going on in the mids that was only obvious in a full mix.

Try two 4x12 cabs in parallel (a dual cab block) with a dynamic mic on one (57 or 412) and a ribbon on the other (112). Two dynamic mics also works for more cutting tones. Keep them close. Mix or match the cabs - a greenback + V30 pairing is always good. That should get you started.

MoJoToJo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I still like my THR10X for quiet practise but to me it sounds rubbish through headphones. Though I don't have mega buck cans, just Sennheiser HD280pro that I think are pretty decent all rounders & comfy. Also have set of cheapy AKG's K52's that are good budget closed backs.

Crundles

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
As I probably should've expected, the local stores claiming to carry the Sennheiser HD 560S are small, sketchy, and not actually carrying them. I'm going to call around tomorrow and try to get an idea of when I can expect an actual delivery.

It seems likely that I'll have to go with the Beyerdynamic DT-990, because Thomann have shipped the Stomp, and it'll probably be nice to hear the sounds it can make once it arrives.

I keep reading about harsh high end, but I presume I can EQ/setup my helix preset to account for this? Or use the Sonarworks Reference 4 that @laxu mentioned? (what does it actually do?)

Crundles

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sonarworks reference has set eq's to make your headphones transparent. Works quiet well actually.
Why not just order 560S from Thomann ?

Thomann has them as "delivery not guaranteed in the next 3 months", sadly, and the B-stock is sold out.

So it's either hope that a Bulgarian shop actually can guarantee delivery in a week, or get the DT-990.

If I do get the 990s, can I assume that a proper EQ/amp settings on the Stomp will diminish the harsh high end?

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thomann has them as "delivery not guaranteed in the next 3 months", sadly, and the B-stock is sold out.

So it's either hope that a Bulgarian shop actually can guarantee delivery in a week, or get the DT-990.

If I do get the 990s, can I assume that a proper EQ/amp settings on the Stomp will diminish the harsh high end?

You can use EQ but it's not capable of the same kind of granularity as Sonarworks is capable of. I assume Sonarworks uses an impulse response to flatten the signal, too bad you can't export them out of it as it's some proprietary format.

If the Stomp has the global EQ feature than I would try to use that to correct the headphone response. No headphones are flat (except maybe some super high end ones?) so it comes down to what you find amicable.

Crundles

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Cheers, sounds reasonable.

It seems all the local stores are using the same distributor as Thomann, as everyone kept telling me they're waiting on "the central warehouse in Germany", so I guess it's the DT-990s.

Coming from a 20 eur headset for my PC, I'm not too sure I'll even notice the high end that much, and a ton of people appear to be using DT-990s with their Stomp/Helix Native.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Dont sweat headphones until you've had a few weeks/months to get used to your new setup.

Crundles

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Dont sweat headphones until you've had a few weeks/months to get used to your new setup.
Generally a great piece of advice, it's just that I don't actually have anything that'll allow the Stomp to make sounds :D

I have a broken pair of 15 eur Phillips for my PC, and my Yamaha THR10X to serve as a FR speaker, and that's it. I pretty much have to buy a new pair of headphones, and I've literally 0 previous experience with monitoring/mixing phones.

Seems like I'll mosh an order for DT-990s tomorrow, since everything else is either not in stock, grossly overpriced, or a weird off-brand pair with 0 reviews online. Also people keep saying they're comfortable.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah order headphones for sure - im saying dont worry about how they compare until you've got some hours with them and have a reference point for other makes and models.

bigcupholder

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I use Samson SR850 headphones with my Helix and for rough mixing (usually tweaking the final mix with monitor speakers). They're designed to be as neutral as possible and they sound like it to me. I got them for $50 a few years ago. That's another suggestion if you can find them.

I'm sure the ones you're looking at are better, so my point is more to not sweat it too much if you're feeling anxious deciding between several pairs of $300 headphones. The Helix will sound good through any decent sounding headphones. If you want to push that decision down the road, get something cheaper for now. Otherwise, I'm sure both the options you're looking at will sound good.

BabUShka

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You get awesome cabs for free in many packs. Try those before ordering anything.

Senn HD280 is a studio classic for monitoring. So is the Beyer 700. As is AKG 371.
My HD280 is going strong, 12 years now.

That said, the 200€ will work for mixing as well. So upto you.

Ive been using AKG 271 for several years now(im not a pro). For the price, they are great.

Light weight, very high build quality, comfortable and affordable. They sound flat and balanced compared to other studio phones Ive used over the years. If the 371 is better, then they must be pretty great.

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
Definitely recommend the HX Stomp, especially with the 3.0 update to 8 blocks. As for headphones, I prefer either AT ATH-M50s or Sennheiser HD380’s.

coffeeflush

Reaction score
Ive been using AKG 271 for several years now(im not a pro). For the price, they are great.

Light weight, very high build quality, comfortable and affordable. They sound flat and balanced compared to other studio phones Ive used over the years. If the 371 is better, then they must be pretty great.
AKG 271 is a great headphone, 371 is strange. If you like the Harman curve, then it is literally the best headphone out there minus the build quality having some compromises. If you don't like the Harman curve, then other headphones will do better.

Going with established classics like the 271 means the eq is well established and you can eq out some of the faults in your headphones.

bigcupholder

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Amazon has the Sennheiser HD 599 for a good Cyber Monday deal (in Canada, at least: $330 CAD down to $130 CAD), so I picked up a pair. I'll compare them to the Samson SR 850 and let you know, OP. But check out Cyber Monday deals.