Help me make a decision - 7 String Guitar

kootenay

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
First off I just want to say sorry as I am sure this is a common thread made on these forums.

The short story is I am looking for my first (in a long time) 7 string and my budget is a little flexible up to $2500CDN. With that being said I am merely a bedroom player who likes to jam and learn songs by my favourite bands. Don't want to spend all $2500 just for the sake of doing so as I would like to get a HX-Stomp as well sooner than later. My local shops are very small and there is nothing to try. I had a KM-7 MKI many moons ago, but don't remember much about it. Think I played one Jackson 6 string a long time ago. My dad has a newer 6 string RGD which I don't love, but I think is has to do with his setup more than the guitar.

My small list of wants is as follows:

-scale to suit drop G# (pretty sure 26.5 is fine)
-in the super strat realm of body shapes
-fixed bridge, no trem
-isn't a complete potato

Guitars I have considered at this point are:

-Schecter KM-7 (various flavours)
-Jackson HT-7 (sounds like pups would need to be replaced
-Ibanez RGDs (RGDUC, RGDUCS, etc)

Open to suggestions and opinions of all sorts.

michael_bolton

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Something like a Kiesel DC with a 26.5 scale (it's an $50 option + requires 20'' radius) will set you back about 1.8K USD.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Shoot my 25.5 inch 7 does Ab just fine with a .068 for what it's worth. Very very comfortable and I'm a scale length queen.

bzhang9

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
i have a near mint ht7fm oceanburst for sale $445

AkiraSpectrum

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

New or used these would be some options:

PRS SE Mark Holcomb SVN 7

LTD H-1007FM

Schecter C-7 SLS Elite ''Evil Twin''

Schecter KM7

Jackson GuitarsPro Series Dinky DK2 Modern Ash HT7

kootenay

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

New or used these would be some options:

PRS SE Mark Holcomb SVN 7

LTD H-1007FM

Schecter C-7 SLS Elite ''Evil Twin''

Schecter KM7

Jackson GuitarsPro Series Dinky DK2 Modern Ash HT7

Thanks for the list! And I agree they are all ones I have considered. I have the PRS Mark in a 6 string otherwise I would probably go that route. Would like something new to play with.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Non-custom production route:
Schecter KM-7 MKIII, hybrid or artist
Schecter C-7 SLS Elite
PRS SE Holcomb SVN
Jackson DK Modern 7 Ash
Ibanez Axion Label RGD71ALPA

Custom:
Pretty much just Kiesel- Aries, Aries titanium, Delos all have 7 string options and I believe optional 27" scale lengths over the stock 25.5. You can order one with basic specs that would be within your 2500cad budget

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Schecter C-7 SLS Elite
PRS SE Holcomb SVN
Jackson DK Modern 7 Ash

Custom:
Pretty much just Kiesel- Aries, Aries titanium, Delos all have 7 string options and I believe optional 27" scale lengths over the stock 25.5. You can order one with basic specs that would be within your 2500cad budget
I had a km7 mk3 and have the c7 SLS elite now. Both amazing instruments.

My Aries 7 is just on another completely different level. If I had the headroom OP does I'd consider kiesel. Just don't go nuts with customizations

kootenay

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Kiesel Aries 7 would enable you to have a superstrat with the specs you want. Base model is 1.4 k$.

Schecter C-7 SLS Elite
PRS SE Holcomb SVN
Jackson DK Modern 7 Ash

Custom:

I had a km7 mk3 and have the c7 SLS elite now. Both amazing instruments.

My Aries 7 is just on another completely different level. If I had the headroom OP does I'd consider kiesel. Just don't go nuts with customizations

Thank you all for the suggestions. I had not even considered a Kiesel as I figured it would be way too much. I will admit it's pretty hard to not go crazy on the options when you are in the builder.

Sounds like I have a few options and I know most of those are available in the states which I can get easy enough. I live about 20min from the border when I can pickup orders.

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I was about to suggest the PRS Holcomb 7 as it’s an insane value but I see you don’t want to go that route. :)

Jinn

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
First off I just want to say sorry as I am sure this is a common thread made on these forums.

The short story is I am looking for my first (in a long time) 7 string and my budget is a little flexible up to $2500CDN. With that being said I am merely a bedroom player who likes to jam and learn songs by my favourite bands. Don't want to spend all $2500 just for the sake of doing so as I would like to get a HX-Stomp as well sooner than later. My local shops are very small and there is nothing to try. I had a KM-7 MKI many moons ago, but don't remember much about it. Think I played one Jackson 6 string a long time ago. My dad has a newer 6 string RGD which I don't love, but I think is has to do with his setup more than the guitar.

My small list of wants is as follows:

-scale to suit drop G# (pretty sure 26.5 is fine)
-in the super strat realm of body shapes
-fixed bridge, no trem
-isn't a complete potato

Guitars I have considered at this point are:

-Schecter KM-7 (various flavours)
-Jackson HT-7 (sounds like pups would need to be replaced
-Ibanez RGDs (RGDUC, RGDUCS, etc)

Open to suggestions and opinions of all sorts.
Tbh I would go the ht7 route as the guitar is good af for the price. The only problem is the qc is shit from what I have seen. Someones nut fell off lol. If your not too worried about having to do some small repairs possibly I think the HT7 is a good option.