Help me make a decision -- 2011 Mint Condition EBMM JPXI BFR Onyx

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by pfizer, Nov 7, 2019 at 6:18 AM.

1. pfizer

pfizer SS.org Regular

Hi there fellas, hoping you could help a guy out.

I've been planning on getting a JP model in the future again after selling my JP6 and I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a used JPXI BFR. Owner says it's in mint condition and he sent pics and video that seems to confirm it.

He's selling it for about 1950 USD with the case and documents, which is kind of a steal considering I live in the Philippines; we don't really have any Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars around here and shipping costs a heck of a lot. I'm really close to pulling the trigger but I'm a little concerned about how old the thing is (almost a decade old). Should I just save up a bit more and wait for the NAMM 2020 influx?

2. nightlight

nightlight SS.org Regular

I really wouldn't worry about the age of the guitar, a good instrument will last for decades if you treat it well.

The price seems reasonable (to me at least) for a BFR guitar.

Buying a new one right after NAMM will probably cost you a few more bills.

XPT707FX and pfizer like this.
  3. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

That’s a fair price. So unless the thing was beaten to shit/has messed up wiring from poor mod attempts/etc it’s a deal as long as you like the guitar & specs.

pfizer likes this.
  4. pfizer

pfizer SS.org Regular

Yeah, I've made worse purchases for that kind of money, frankly. I bought my JP6 for practically the same and it was much older and didn't even have SS frets or the signature pickups.

Something to really consider. Thanks a lot guys.

5. EarlWellington

EarlWellington SS.org Regular

I bought my JPXI for ~$1400USD ($2000AUD) with case and all documents in mint condition. I know Philippines is different to Australia but it seems to still be a bit high for the price

pfizer likes this.
  6. ThePIGI King

ThePIGI King Death Will Reign

2011 is old? I buy guitars from the early 90s lol

Velokki and pfizer like this.
  7. pfizer

pfizer SS.org Regular

Shipping costs are crazy over here so I'm taking that into account as well. The only "high-end" guitars we have here are Ibanez Prestiges and some Fenders. There are other independent distributors that carry Mayones or Solar, but it's not as accessible as walking into a store.

Not a lot of (good) luthiers here in the Philippines, so I have to be careful about what I buy. I get something too old, there might not be any readily available parts for the thing. Something too modern or high-tech and the luthier himself might not know how to fix it if something goes wrong; it's why I've been on the fence about getting a Majesty because of one guy over here whose Majesty guitar's boost circuit went haywire, making the guitar completely useless. No available parts and the luthiers here didn't know how to fix it, so he had to keep the guitar in storage until he could go to the US and have it fixed there.

8. Nik_Left_RG

Nik_Left_RG SS.org Regular

I say get the the JPXI. With the SS frets, alder body and Mahogany tone block, it is well worth the money.

The Ibanez Prestige line are suppose to be well worth the money too. Have you looked at the RG 5120M or RGR 5220M ?

Edit : I also come from a country where it is hard to get quality gear. However, I do have a EBMM JP6 MD which has served me well for the last 10 years :)

pfizer likes this.
  9. pfizer

pfizer SS.org Regular

I like Ibanez Prestiges and I actually already have an RGA321 that lives in D standard. The EBMM is because I need something with a non-locking trem that doesn't go out of tune. I'm actually planning on getting a Charvel DK24 in the future as well.

10. pfizer

pfizer SS.org Regular

Bit the bullet, figured it was close enough to Christmas and the guitar itself is in near-mint condition.

NGD coming soon :agreed: Thanks for the advice, homies.

11. Nik_Left_RG

Nik_Left_RG SS.org Regular

Great. Happy NGD !!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019 at 5:29 AM