Help me find a world-class seven string guitar.

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by AndiKravljaca, Dec 4, 2018.

1. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

It's likely that their website just hasn't yet been updated to reflect that they've all but fully phased out 7-string floyds. The K series even used a different Floyd than the Lee McKinney model (that one used a Graphtech bridge). There's no online builder for the K series, so someone has to manually edit the text and re-make the JPG that lists the bridge options and pricing on the K series page...which I have a feeling we'll see updated come January due to a new year pricing update.

2. Rawkmann

Rawkmann SS.org Regular

Vigier Excalibur 7

3. Snarpaasi

Snarpaasi SS.org Regular

One option could be an Aristides? They don't have flamed tops and the molded body shape is somewhat futuristic but otherwise they are considered high end stuff. I have not tried them though.

After having several fancy looking superstrats with all the bells and whistles my guitar taste has turned solely towards playability and feeling, which i test by strumming how it vibrates. After having Ibbys, JP7 BFR, Carvin, Skervesen I found myself with two Fender Teles, shiet! I've become an old man....

4. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

Ben Pinkus likes this.
  5. AndiKravljaca

AndiKravljaca SS.org Regular

Thanks for the suggestions guys, this is exactly the stuff I wanted. It's easy to think Jackson/Ibanez/ESP, but I know the EU is full of small volume, great quality builders. I really appreciate the ideas!

6. Chr0nicConsumer

Chr0nicConsumer SS.org Regular

I'd personally go for an Aristides or a Skervesen. Aristides has some funky designs, not really my thing, but I love everything else about them. Just can't get over the weird dents in the body.

My Skervesen Raptor 7 build is almost complete, definitely check them out. They can make a guitar exactly like what you described in the OP.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  7. Snarpaasi

Snarpaasi SS.org Regular

Check out EUGG facebook group, there's plenty of high end stuff in sale.

8. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

In EU I would recommend Mayones guitars. If you want to go the custom route, there's Dylan from Daemoness if you're into super metal-looking stuff. If you feel a little more adventurous, can't recommend Toni Fayos from AFJ Guitars in Spain enough:
    http://www.afjguitars.com/indexIN.html

Some pics:
    http://www.afjguitars.com/guitarrasIN.html

Not sure if he's ever built a 7 string before, but I can tell you I brought my 7 string Custom Shop Jacksons to service and the guitars didn't seem the same after passing through his hands. He's one of the top dogs around here.

9. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

I owned one of these, and they are amazing guitars. However, the OP requested good upper fret access. The Vigier does not have this. I'd go with Mayones, I have not been that impressed by Jackson lately.

10. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

A lot of us have played a couple of these brands, but few of us have played all of them. Talk with Nick (@zimbloth on here) at the Axe Palace here in the US to get some insight, as well. He stocks a lot of these brands, and has played a lot of them. And, if you want to spec one out with a company he stocks, he could give you some tips.

11. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Mayones definitely seems like safest bet to get all the things you want, especially since you are in Europe prices of them are much more reasonable there.

Chr0nicConsumer likes this.
  12. Chr0nicConsumer

Chr0nicConsumer SS.org Regular

Although I completely agree, I'd like to give my opinion on why this is.

If you live in Europe, chances are, there's a store in your country that has Mayones guitars. My country (The Netherlands) has one, at least. This means you get to try one before you buy one.
    Mayones also produces a lot more guitars every year than custom shops like Aristides, Skervesen, Daemoness and Vandermeij, which means you can probably pick one up rather than waiting 6-12 months before you get your product. I don't think any of these arguments make Mayones the superior instrument, but it's something for OP to take into consideration.

Personally, hearing OP say he wants something really special, I would spec out a custom guitar from a reputable builder, and not settle for a high-end production line model. Nothing quite makes a guitar as special as speccing it out yourself and checking your mail every day praying for an update from the luthier :)
    This is all my opinion though. If you don't want to wait a long time, want to try before you buy, and can find a Mayones that you fall in love with, do it. They're awesome instruments, and (the Regius line at least) have never disappointed me.

13. Rawkmann

Rawkmann SS.org Regular

I owned the Excalibur 6 string version and upper fret access seemed pretty good imo. Yes it’s got a heel, but I actually thought it was more accessible than my Ibanez with block heel. Maybe the Excalibur 7 don’t have quite as good fret access?

14. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

I owned the excalibur 6 and SL(still have the SL) they both have mediocre upper fret access compared to my jp6 and rg652.

15. protest

protest SS.org Regular

16. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    ... so, are we there yet? Have the world class 7 stringer been found? Have anyone suggested Conklin yet?

17. AndiKravljaca

AndiKravljaca SS.org Regular