Help me find a suitable 7 please~

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Skyblue, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Skyblue

Skyblue SS.org Regular

Oh, what a unique thread title, I know... But I couldn't really get a good idea about which guitars should I look for.

I'm a Jazz-Fusion player mostly, and I've been looking for a seven string (it'll be my first seven). I went to a guitar store near me today, and inquired about seven strings- they only had a Cort, there, which wasn't exactly what I was looking for (Who doesn't like pentagrams for inlays though? :lol: ). I explained a bit to the guy what I need it for, and after browsing for a second or two in a Schecter catalogue he said he'll just check what can they get and get back to me. Now, I trust the guys there, and I already bought some stuff there before, but I'd like to have some ideas myself as for stuff which might be of interest for my needs.
    Like I said, I play mostly jazz and fusion, and I almost always play clean, maybe with a bit of distortion every once in a while, plus learning some DT riffs and stuff like that when I feel like it. So basically, I need something that has a good clean tone. I'm also not much of a shredder type, and do lots of chord work. I also think of trying to try drop-A or something, but otherwise I'm just playing in standard tuning.
    I'm afraid I don't know much specs wise, as I've always been a "go to the store and buy the guitar I like the most" kind of guy, so their specs didn't really bother me usually. So any recommendations regarding what to look for, specific types of woods, pickups, stuff like that, would be also good.
    I currently play a Cort m600t (M600 T)

TL;DR version: I need a seven string for jazz and fusion, mostly play clean. Recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: forgot to mention, money wise I'd go as 1000$ top. My parents will help my pay for it as a late 18 birthday gift, but I don't want it to end up too expensive.

2. capo_fez

capo_fez Guitar Tech/ Player

I would look at schecters for that, but would recomend something either set neck or neck through. I would look at swapping pickups for something like BKPs or duncans. They will have the best jazz tones for 7-string, just check out their websites for more details. Now if you find a hollow body or semi hollow body, that would be my first recomendation, but they can get out of your price range.

3. Skyblue

Skyblue SS.org Regular

Well yeah, semi-hollow and hollow-body can be great, but you're perfectly right about the price range... Plus I think I'll just stick with a solid for know, and then one day hunt myself an Eastman :yum:

Anyway, do you have any recommendations for specific Schecter models? or any other brands?
    As for the pickups, I'll look around in their websites like you said, thanks :)

4. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide SS.org Regular

Schecter models have the 26.5 scale, which give you a bit more brightness than you might want for jazz. I've tried a few Schecters and I wasn't a great fan of them for cleans.

Agile T-7 Texan 3TS 7 String at RondoMusic.com

Agile T-7 Texan Nat 7 String at RondoMusic.com

Sentinel 725 Nat VWH at RondoMusic.com

Aesthetically and sound-wise those might be closer to what you're after. They have that classic look which is always cool if you're a more clean player. They're cheap, meaning you'll have plenty left to upgrade the pickups to something better. Agile have a good rep here and I've played with two models both of which felt pretty solid.

5. Skyblue

Skyblue SS.org Regular

I have thought of Agile, but there are a few things I need to check first-
    First of all, I might get a deal through that store I mentioned (some sort of a trade-in, never mind) so I need to check if they work with Rondo Music.
    Second, if they don't, I need to see how much does it cost for me to send it here (I live in Israel, not exactly close by...) plus all the customs and stuff- I need to see if it's still worth it money-wise.

Also, I wish I could say I like the headstock, but I don't :lol: but that's a minor issue, and definitely not a deal breaker.

So basically recommendations for more... Errr, "known" companies (kinda hard for me to translate what I mean to English) would be better. I'll ask them about Rondo-Music on Sunday anyway, thanks :)

6. nostealbucket

nostealbucket aint no gahdam woman

I say this on every "what 7 should I get?" thread:

GO FOR CARVIN. I don't know how expensive shipping is to Israel, but you can get one for under 1000. Best 1000 usd I've ever spent :D

7. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide SS.org Regular

You won't get a deal through your store, at least I'd be suprised. You can only buy straight through Rondo. They don't supply Agile to stores. That's why they're so cheap, you buy straight from the company.

I could get an intrepid 828 with a hardcase and shipping costs to the UK for the same as an Ibanez RGA8 new, which isn't bad at all. If you added the costs of shipping and a hardcase you'd get roughly what you'd expect to pay if Rondo sold Agile in stores, so you're still getting a good deal. :)

As for the headstocks, you can always cut them up a bit to your tastes. :)

8. Strawberry Man

Strawberry Man SS.org Regular

I'd say see if you can get them to bring in a C-7 Custom for Schecters, it's one of the few Schecter 7's without EMG's stock and without all the abalone inlays.

9. SenorDingDong

SenorDingDong Smeller of Smells

If used a Schecter Blackjack C-7, they had a great JB/59 combo. Also LTD H-207 had great great pups as well. As far as brand new, Carvin is the way to go. I can't suggest Agile as the only Agile I have played wasn't quite my thing and felt a bit cheap, but maybe I just played a dud. Definitely check into Carvin if you are looking for new though.

10. Floppystrings

Floppystrings No like the floppy

Agile passive 7, 27" scale.
    Ibanez RG7421XL
    Schecter Hellraiser or Blackjack with passives hidden inside active covers mod

You may have to change the pickups no matter what you get, they all have actives or a hot humbucker it seems.

That Agile tele 7 is cool, but finding replacement pickups would be a pain the in the ass/impossible? I have never seen a tele 7 bridge pickup.

11. Rotatous

Rotatous SS.org Regular

I say go for Carvin as well :yesway:

12. Skyblue

Skyblue SS.org Regular

While Carvin is indeed tempting, even if I'm buying the basic package I already exceed my budget (basic package is something like 1300$ )

As for the Agile Tele, isn't BKP selling those? I thought so anyway... I don't plan on upgrading the guitar (which ever guitar I'll buy, I mean) too much, I just want to try out a 7 string, to see how it feels, and what stuff can I do with it. If all goes well I might consider upgrading or getting a new, better one altogether.

Anyway, I'll definitely look into the Agile option, thanks :) I'm guessing I won't have trouble using drop-A with the 25.5 inch scale neck, without using too-thick strings?