Help me figure out the TAM100s finish?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by jwade, May 8, 2016.

1. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

I have no experience at all with dyes/stains. I'd like to approximate the finish Ibanez used on the TAM100. I've read a lot of things online, way too many things, but I'm still very unsure how to attain this finish.

for reference:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SatanicToaster likes this.
  2. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

In no way am I an expert on this, but I believe it's a black stain, sanded back, covered by a white lacquer paint. I think it's just a standard white wash, right?

3. dankarghh

dankarghh SS.org Regular

I would have to agree. Maybe not sanded back super heavily because its still quite dark underneath?

4. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

See that's something I wondered. It almost looks like I'd have to do a black stain followed by a more grey/green and then not sand back very far before spraying white.

5. ASoC

ASoC Downpicker \m/

I think it's more grey/blue than grey/green. I remember when they first came out I tried one at NAMM and I had a hard time telling if it was straight grey or if there was some blue in there

6. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

Might just be my monitor (or color deficiency), but I always see a green tint.

7. nistley

nistley SS.org Regular

it's definitely bluish to me, its probably not the monitor but the reference colors.
    #thetam100

8. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

Reviving this one for a second, as I'm going to start experimenting with dye/stain this weekend. Might as well document what works/doesn't work, and if anyone can offer any ideas/advice, that's cool too.

9. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

I assume it’s a Mary Kaye type finish with the stain-then-sand-back trick. I’m not sure the stain is black, though. It might be more of a grey or blue.

But of course I could be way off.

10. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

I'm going to try black first to help with the flame, then I'm thinking a darker blue before white lacquer.

11. Phantom

Phantom SS.org Regular

I think Holloway had the right idea. Black is kind of a funny thing because its the combination of all colors, it can sometimes give off a hue of one color or another in certain lights, angles, etc. Its probably as simple as the black stain sanded back and a custom mix of white tint into the clear so it gives it that look. Post pics of your experiment!

12. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

From what I've read, I believe that I'll be able to dilute this black aniline powder and get a blue/purple hue happening. Fingers crossed!

Also, I have white satin pre-catalyzed nitrocellulose lacquer that will be sprayed on lightly afterwards, but if I get the aniline diluted to a nice level, I may have to add a bit to the white and see what happens.