Help me decide: PRS or not to PRS

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Musiscience, Apr 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

Lately I told myself I would be more responsible in my guitar purchases. We all know how that goes. I stumbled upon a sick PRS Custom 24 for a decent price. It's a 2017, which makes it perfect as I despise nitro (PRS are now nitro since 2019 ). However, there are a few things I am unsure about.

I love SS frets, it's no secret. Even told myself I was done with nickel. However, I have heard Paul say that they use the hardest wire available. In your experience, how do they hold up? My Les Paul and Strat were full of fret wear, and pretty quickly.

The second thing is the radius. It's 10". I've been playing 12" and flatter for the better part of 20 years now. You guys that own a PRS and more shred oriented guitars, do you feel much of a difference?

Just in general, how do you feel about the brand and their guitars compared to Suhr and Mayones? These are the two brands I loved owning the most, but I now have solid GAS about the birds.

My only experience with PRS was a long while ago when I had a Custom 24 Floyd, which I didn't really play that much due to... erm... the floyd :lol:. Regular CU 24 fixes that part.

Thanks a bunch for your input!

2. John

John New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh

Regarding the radius, I have no problems playing shreddier material on them (they were my main guitars when tracking leads on my stuff), and I've gone back and forth with such radii and flatter ones up to 16"-20" compound for example. I find the neck profiles more noticeable when I play, and my preference leans towards their pattern thin profiles. They've had a couple older versions of it called the wide thin I'm also a fan of, even the much thinner variant that's been harder to come by as of late due to being more of a thing on their earlier 90's and 80's guitars.

Compared to Suhr and Mayones, I think it's tough to go wrong with any of the three as far as QC is concerned, on an overall basis. From there, it's personal preference. ie- The Custom and CE-24's are the only double cutaway shapes I've cared for in the long run.
    With any amount of money going into a guitar, even more so for a higher end one, ideally it would be one I'm completely interested in as far as aesthetics, shapes, feel, and sound are concerned without settling for less.

Like anything else, your mileage may vary. Personally, if it's up for a good price at the moment- it would be tough to pass it up.

Musiscience and H I G H W I N D like this.
  3. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

No problems at all with frets or radius. Go for it.

Musiscience and budda like this.
  4. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Yep. Get it, then decide. Dont dig it? Sell it for what you paid.

Musiscience and H I G H W I N D like this.
  5. H I G H W I N D

H I G H W I N D Direwolf is yes

Go for it! Sounds like you found a PRS with the Floyd part you didn't like

Musiscience likes this.
  6. Musiscience

Thanks for the replies, you guys are really tempting me to pull the trigger. Then neck is pattern thin, so I am strongly leaning towards getting it.

If my GF is angry, I'll tell her this thread made me do it and you deal with the heath. Deal? :lol:

In all seriousness, thanks for the info and the push.

7. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

PRS Custom 24s were my dream guitars for years and I've owned about a dozen of them if not more hoping to gel with them...but so far that hasn't happened.

Things that bothered me:
    • Radius differences are noticeable,
    • The finish of their necks is often pretty "sticky" (compared to something raw/oiled), unless you get a maple or rosewood neck
    • If you do notice the difference with stainless in general, then you will notice it in the PRS wire too - it's not magically better
    • The top's violin carve can actually be pretty uncomfortable depending on your playing position.
    I actually do like their neck profiles, scale length, pickups and trem...but that was not enough to tip the scales in my case.

I never thought I'd feel that way, but to your example re: Suhr ... I always imagined I'd like PRS way more than any Modern, but in practice it's the total opposite.
    I could play a Suhr for days, and struggle most times to play a Cu24. And yet vastly prefer the looks of the latter :lol:

Anyway- Just my 2 cent, but it sounds like we may have the same criteria so make of that what you will.

IAO and Musiscience like this.
  8. Musiscience

Thanks for the input. Still not sure I will love it, but there is no way to know for sure without trying it. The guitar is so beautiful it's hard to talk myself out of wanting it.

Just made an offer. If it gets turned down, then I'll move on. If he accept it, then I'll have to see for myself if I like it!

mbardu likes this.
  9. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

Typical PRS. That's how they get you :lol:

10. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

I like PRS in general...no issues with the frets/radius/scale length, but I've always found the body edge to be super uncomfortable on my forearm. LPs don't bother me a bit, but for whatever reason I guess it hits me just right. Lots of people seem to play them with no issues though, but that's the only reason I haven't kept any long term. That said, I'm sure I'll get another sooner than later—the double cut 594 is such a killer model IMO.

Musiscience likes this.
  11. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

McCarty 594 is killer but frets + carve + gloss neck means I sold mine and getting something custom with same scale length instead.
    Will miss the birds, but getting a nicer neck and a body carve + stainless steel is probably worth it- at least for me.

Musiscience likes this.
  12. Musiscience

Right? haha

Just hope it plays as nice as it looks. That's if my offer gets accepted.

Edit: I think I'm not too affected by body contours. I play my original Duvell all the time and people seem to hate the flat top on these. :shrug:

13. budda

If you want less carve, grab an S2.

Estilo likes this.
  14. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

I don't mind flat tops either, but the PRS feels like it carves down then back up leaving almost a sharp peak under your forearm.
    But maybe you won't mind and if you're getting a good price on the guitar anyway...why not.
    I didn't keep most of my CUs for too long...but I'm still happy I tried them!

Musiscience likes this.
  15. DaZoner

DaZoner SS.org Regular

Yeah PRS' fret wire is definitely a cut above the rest. The 10" radius is fine. Mine has a pattern regular neck which I find is definitely thicker than say a fender modern C, but it's deceptively fast to play.

Your should totally go for it. You only live once!

Musiscience likes this.
  16. budda

As I said, if its a good deal just sell if ya dont gel.

Musiscience likes this.
  17. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

IMO PRS is weird because they all look mostly the same but feel totally different between models. A CU24 pattern thin, CU22 wide and say a Dustie feel very different. I love the bridges and find their necks vary a lot but are easy to adapt to. The heel is something people complain about but I never had an issue with. They are pretty and some tops look 10 top even when they aren't marked as such.

My 24 and Dustie feel pretty light. My 22 is beefier. The 24 is snappier, the Dustie and 22 are darker but the Dustie cuts more and does the split the best of them. Difference in constructions but definitely a big difference in pickups.

I have had a Setius before and know the Regius pretty well. They definitely felt chunkier than a CU24.

I agree with the other posts. You can't go wrong if you buy it at a smart price. I just wouldn't buy new. You'd take a bit on resale depending on the specific finish and year.

The build quality on these guitars is usually superb and the frets are indeed hard. I would buy the guitar, clean it, setup to my liking and then after a bit you can see if you want to pass it on. I don't think it's an irresponsible purchase if you have the funds and aren't overpaying.

Musiscience likes this.
  18. Ben Pinkus

Ben Pinkus SS.org Regular

I find there is a slight adjustment period going from a 25.5 to the shorter scale of my PRS, but only a couple of mins or so.

My PRS was set up pretty great from stock so can still 'shred' on it

Musiscience likes this.
  19. Glades

Glades Down in the Everglades

To me, PRS makes the most visually appealing guitars on the market. They are just beautiful. But I was never able to get comfortable on one. The small lower horn, the lack of a forearm contour, the curvature of the fretboard, the floating trems. If you are getting a really good deal on it, you should be able to sell it quick at no loss.

20. Protestheriphery

Protestheriphery SS.org Regular

Absolutely reprehensible. Nitro is irrelevant to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.