Help me choose an Ibanez please! (7620, UV777, J-Custom 1302)

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by rdhx, Apr 3, 2020.

1. rdhx

rdhx SS.org Regular

I want a guitar for low tunings (G#, G# open). I have two 6-string baritones, I'll keep the Fender Jag with Warpigs, but I want to sell the ESP Viper - it's a beautiful axe, but mahogany+neck-through is way too much for me, I want something not that dark and with more clarity. I want to try an Ibanez, and I'm leaning towards a 7-string cause I've never had one before.

Tone references - this guy with a 1527 comes very close (rhythms on Blaze and Evo):

Might as well indulge in meatier stuff like Triptykon

or Bile

The tremolo will be locked forever (blocked floyd + locking nut = most stable hardtail ever), so as long as it's stable, the model is not very important.

So I'm choosing between:

1. RG 7620 (a few offers round here) - looks like it's up my alley overall. Good prices on those, spartan looks, usually comes with Blazes and it sounds like I might dig them (are they good for G#? though).

2. UV777 - not fan of the fancy looks and the mirror pickguard at all, costs twice more than 7620, middle pickup not necessary, but might go for it it's really worth it, especially the wood quality. Is it?

3. J-Custom 1302 (a particular one from 1995) - well, it's a 6-string, so it doesn't have the 7-string novelty. Also costs twice more than the 7620. ALSO has HFH/Air Norton pickups, judging by Youtube demos I'll have to replace them. BUT: it's made of ash, the transparent teal finish is gorgeous af and the looks alone are bloody killer. It's the same 25,5 scale, but how will the ash handle the G#?. And again, is it worth the price difference, wood and tone-wise?

2. bzhang9

bzhang9 SS.org Regular

Sounds like you want a basic Ibanez 7, MIJ 7420 would fit all your needs for 300 bucks, 7620s cost 100-200 more, have better trem which you do not need and slightly better pups but not blazes, you may end up swapping them out anyways. 7420s more often have the 3 piece neck which IMO feels slightly thinner and better than the 1 piece usually on the 7620. If you want something newer 1527s also can be found 500-600 bucks. Anything above that eg UV, K7, etc are more for specs and aesthetics with minimal improvement in quality/playability, IMO not worth 2-3x the price of the basic models for your needs.

Musiscience, rdhx and Merrekof like this.
  3. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

7620. I’m a Jem and Universe guy, but you just can’t beat the 550/570 and 7620/1527’s. They are so great to customize and tinker with.

rdhx and Merrekof like this.
  4. rdhx

rdhx SS.org Regular

Thanks for the answers!

Yep, I've just read that 7620's don't have Blazes after all. Are the stock pups much worse/different?
    Should Blazes be the first choice for my tuning anyway or they'll get too muddy down there?

No good offers on the 7420's here, sadly.

One more question (sorry) - is there much difference between the 1-piece/3-piece necks? (I'll probably have to order blindly because quarantine).

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  5. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

I own a 7620 and it is awesome, a pickup swap is recommended though. I have no experience with the others but it doesn't seem to be worth the extra money. Unless you really want a specific guitar model.

jaxadam likes this.
  6. nightlight

nightlight SS.org Regular

If you can sell that Viper for a good price, I'd recommend looking at one of these RGD2127 guitars if you are deadest on Ibanez.

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=ibanez rgd2127

One of the coolest 7s I know of, and it has a longer scale length, which makes the B string super tight and percussive.

It's more expensive, but I'd take a Prestige over any Indonesian or South Korean Ibanez you could offer me.

7. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

Tom Warrior = mahogany Icemans

@rdhx have you considered giving Schecter a shot? I got a KM-1 for cheap a while back, and really liked it.

8. ThePIGI King

ThePIGI King Ibanez Enthusiast

I'll be the guy to say UV777. Out of all the guitars I own and have played mt 777 stands out.

With that said I've never played a 7620. But they're supposed to be near identical to the old UVs which are also great. I just really love the 777s

Wildebeest and jaxadam like this.
  9. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

I use my 7620 with stock pickups exclusively for G# and couldn’t be happier with it. Mine has a one-piece neck, which I think always sound better than the multi-pieces. If you care about value at all, I don’t think a better one exists.

Deep Blue, Carl Kolchak and jaxadam like this.
  10. Shawn

Shawn Ibanez Guitars Forum MVP

You can’t go wrong with a 7620.

aesthyrian likes this.
  11. rdhx

rdhx SS.org Regular

Everybody, thanks for the input! No opinions on the J-customs, though? :)

I'll be on the lookout for the 7620 and will try the 777 if one comes up again. Schecters are not really my thing, the 2127s cost a lot here (Moscow), too much considering it won't be the main instrument for me.

12. stinkoman

stinkoman SS.org Regular

13. Obscurabeast2002

Obscurabeast2002 SS.org Regular

Scrap everything else, go bold and grab a RGD7UCS, those Bare Knuckle pickups are monsters. Unless you dont want a fixed bridge, there's also the RGD2721z.

14. Obscurabeast2002

Obscurabeast2002 SS.org Regular

RGD2127Z will run you 1500 to 900

As for the UCS7 around 2500 to 1700

Go Big, or go home dude.

15. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

Can you go for a RG2027XL? Since you already have baritones, the 27" scale length should help you with your low G# tuning.

c7spheres and I play music like this.
  16. TurnTheAirBlue

TurnTheAirBlue SS.org Regular

Try find a RG1527, great guitars for the money!

Leviathus likes this.
  17. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

I'd also recommend something with a 27" scale.

18. nightlight

nightlight SS.org Regular

19. sell2792

sell2792 SS.org Regular

7620. Also, buy my 7620. :D

Great guitars, but I need a baritone.

20. Geetarguy

Geetarguy Contributor

Going as low as G#, which I use on all my 7s is tricky on anything less than 27” scale. Its possible with the correct string guage , setup and ect. However, if your going to block the trem anyway id suggest a Japan made RG7421/RG7621, not the newer indo rg7421s. Then a set of pickups and you will be super happy with the tone and the neck.