Help me choose a 7 string for 1000 euros.

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by metalforbreakfast, Mar 31, 2020.

1. metalforbreakfast

metalforbreakfast SS.org Regular

I've been deep in lockdown territory (live in Europe) and decided it would be a good time to get a 7 string. Initially I had set my eyes on an used Ormsby Hype 7 but due to the current circumstances, shipping would take a really long time and I wouldn't be able to try it.

Used is not an option at the moment and budget would ideally be at around € 1000. Only thing I want to avoid is a trem bridge.

I've been looking at the following options, however I'm very open to any suggestions:

Pro Series Chris Broderick HT7- Can get this for around € 600 on a current deal

Solar A2.7- € 750

Ibanez RGA71AL - € 1000

Keith Merrow KM7 MK-II- € 1150

Thanks!

2. The Mirror

The Mirror SS.org Regular

As is my norm:

The PRS Holcomb SVN is a beast and open to upgrades to turn it into a guitar easily worth 500 bucks more than you payed for.

The pickups alone at the top of the game at the moment if you are into the modern passive metal sound.

Also 26.5 scale, fixed bridge and a very flat fretboard.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  3. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

You just can't beat a blackmachine for a 7 string.

4. bastardbullet

bastardbullet SS.org Regular

As all my schecter’s were 26.5”, scale length was my only real concern when i bought my rga71al. All my doubts turned out quite empty in the end. Sometimes i even go down to drop F or F# and as long as i’m using a set with proper gauges (ernie ball 9-80 8-string set, i just ditch the 9), everything sounds nice & clean. No intonation or tuning issues at all.

Here you can find all my thoughts of it; https://www.sevenstring.org/threads/hngd-ibanez-rga71al.338309/

On the other hand;

I know you mentioned the mk-II but, i own one of those black burst km-7 mk-I’s from 2014 and even i still love it in a way, it has been “that” exact guitar which has given me the worst nightmares since day one. Also, it has been the end of my schecter fanboy period. From what i’ve seen here and there, mk-II’s were no space-level better either. Shortly, i’ll take my time to get excited for what schecter’s up to a bit more.

Never had the chance to try a solar 7 so far, great looking guitars with decent specs on the paper.

Hope it’s been useful, stay safe.

5. 77zark77

77zark77 SS.org Regular

Ibanez RG1527 are great deal nowadays (or RG7620 if you're lucky)

6. bzhang9

bzhang9 SS.org Regular

lol... "did not read post, just insert random blackmachine shill, does not contribute at all to OP's question, must increase post count"

7. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

+1 for Solar.

I sold mine but now I miss it. The only difference is that when I buy one again, I'll go for a 1 series.

8. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

LOL

/s

9. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

if 25.5" is enough, get an ibanez rg1527 and use the rest for a pickup swap in case.

The solar is valid for the price and has already very good pickups.