Help me buy more unnecessary gear!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Guitarmiester, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Awesome-O

I've recently decided to ditch the band scene since I seem to have awesome luck getting into bands that dud out because the almighty couch takes no prisoners. I'll leave it at that to save your eyes from a useless rant. Back on track...

I revamped my entire recording setup to record all my ideas and songs with the hopes of forming a band from fellow listeners who enjoy the noise I make. One of my newer acquisitions was a Two Notes Torpedo Live, which I'm now realizing the Studio may have been the better route to spend even more time re-amping like a fool at all hours. First world problems, at its finest. Anyway, I usually run my Mesa Single Recto through it and have been more than pleased with the results. Then the next day you leave your iPod on random and want even more tonal options.

Sweet baby Jesus! That leaves me here with you kind sirs... and maybe gal? Not even going to pluralize that last part because let's be real. I was thinking of maybe grabbing a Blackstar or even an Orange but then the gear nerd in me said, "what about a modeler or even a preamp?" "Good question" I responded. I have an old PodXT (cab & mic disabled) around that I have already tried running through the Torpedo. There was a drastic improvement compared to the Line6 cab & mic modeling but it still didn't sound as organic as running a meatball of an amp through it.

Does anyone have any experience or input on preamps or maybe even another amp they've been satisfied running through something like the Torpedo or even IR's? I've heard a lot of good things about the ISP Theta but all of the clips I've heard sounded like a fresh can of 80's hair spray. A few other preamps I've looked a little into were everything Mesa offers and those little AMT preamps.

I'm not so sure I even asked a question here so I'll try again now. Are there any decent modelers worth running the preamp through a Torpedo? Are there any preamps you've had great results running through a Torpedo or similar device? Should I stop looking at preamps and stick with another head to run through the Torpedo?

Tone-wise I've always gravitated toward a Recto but not the usual bottom-heavy, gain-drenched sound. I use vintage mode for more of a low-mid gain, articulate and glassy tone. You're probably thinking I'm using the wrong amp but Marshall's couldn't fill the void that Mesa seems to cover in the power section.

I know I completely rambled and 95% of people won't want to read all of that, so feel free to ask me any questions in order to spend my money.

2. Axe Cop

Axe Cop SS.org Regular

Kemper or Axe FX, take your pick.

3. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Awesome-O

I expected the Kemper and AxeFX to be recommended. Both of which I've heard a lot of solid recordings with but I'd like to avoid for what's most likely a very stupid reason to some. Before I bought the Torpedo, I was almost set on an AxeFx until I remembered my days of having a Line 6 Vetta 2. With all of the options and flexibility, I spend way more time tweaking digital gear. With an actual amp, I'm a lot quicker to tweak the setup, have a good idea of what it's capable of and dial in the needed tones without constantly "oh, maybe I'll try x and y and g and q and so on."

I'm sure the Axe or Kemper would be great tonally but would be a whole lot of user error keeping me from being happy with it. An amp I've been liking a lot has been the PRS Arcon 50. Recently saw one of my favorite bands He Is Legend. Those guys are touring with the Arcon and had an amazing live sound. I wouldn't mind grabbing one of those or something similar.

4. dhgrind

dhgrind SS.org Regular

buy an hm2 like 5 of them that'd be unnecessary.

5. PBGas

PBGas SS.org Regular

I was a previous owner of several Kemper units. Really liked them. A couple of mine had some issues, one of them major, the other was fine. It has some great features in it but like you, I was always tweaking and trying to find a better profile. I never found a remotely good XTC profile, whether paid or free. One was close but had some nasty artifacts when running through an FRFR cab. The stock profile of the amp is ok but Peter Fischer used a poor choice of speaker cab to profile it.

As far as the Two-Notes? You made a great choice! If you truly love the sounds you get from your amp, then the Live or Studio is a great choice for this! I run an 01 Bogner XTC with my Torpedo Live. I use this for playing live and running to FOH, practicing and recording silently at night as the kids sleep....sometimes I bring my cab to the gig, sometimes not depending upon the venu as I play at a different place a few times per month. Either way, I get fabulous tone from it and it is super easy to setup and adjust. Like you, I probably would have liked to get the Studio a bit more but that was not part of my budget and like you said, more tweaking! The Live works perfectly for me. The optional IRs on the LaBoutique site are killer! They even have one of my Bogner 212CB cab which is spot on when I have mic'd it previously. Super happy at this point!

I've also gotten some great results using Bias FX Pro and turning off the cabs and using Wos-III for the IRs.

I still am considering the modelling route but at this time, things are working great and I am having more fun playing and recording and not having to tweak so much or search for the magical profile or IR.

6. Unburdened

Unburdened SS.org Regular

If you're looking for a simple, versatile amp with major crushing power and 1E6 watts, check out the 120 watt version of the VHT/Fryette Deliverance. It would simplify the need to constantly tweak, and you can color the distortion with a boost, if that's your thing. I use mine for rhythm tracks with the LESS gain setting, and it's tighter than the pickle lid fresh out of the factory. It's also an extremely versatile tonal palette for effects and layering. I'm also an admitted VHT/Fryette fanboi, so take that with a grain of salt.

7. sandalhat

sandalhat SS.org Regular

For how you use the Mesa, a VHT might be up your alley. I love mine. I wouldn't look at the Kemper as an invitation for tweak-hell. Honestly it can be the opposite if you follow some good recommendations and get a few good profiles. Chances are they'll sound good right away since someone spent a good deal of time trying to make it sound good before they ever sold/shared it.

8. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I was Skeptical about the Kemper, but no amount of words can describe just how f'ing great this thing is.... :bowdown: And its literally plug and play. Excellent tones in a second

9. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

The days of the axefx being a tweaker-guy item are long gone.
    It's about as plug and play as you can get nowadays.
    I'd still rate it above the Kemper merely because its reverb and delays are world class. From a pure guitar tone POV, both products are now mature and you can get what you want from them.

10. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Awesome-O

Your post inspired me to pull up the Torpedo Remote again and mess with some new patches. It actually made me aware of exactly what one of the later updates included. I never noticed the difference between the two modes: Arcade and Simulation. Arcade is extremely convenient to dial in great tones on the spot, whereas I've been using Simulation for a while and taking the scenic route to fine tune my own patches. It's like a whole new world.

I've heard a lot about WOS but never used it. That's not a standalone feature like the Remote, is it?

Surprisingly, I've never come across a VHT in person to try. The other issue is the Torpedo isn't meant to handle above 100 watts. I'm sure running at a lower volume level would be fine. I'll keep an eye out if one pops up in the future.

As for the Axe & Kemper. I think they'd be two units I really need to get my hands on before ordering one blindly. The effects wouldn't be much of a selling point for me since I tend to run a pretty minimalist setup but I haven't really heard many weak clips of either so I wouldn't doubt the tones they're capable of pumping out.

I did randomly come across one of those lunch box Peavey 6505's that got me thinking. I always thought the lunch box amps were a bit of a gimmick but seems to be stepping up.

11. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Got an AxeFxII I'd recommend. It's plug and play anymore, like said above. I'm NOT a tweaker, and I can get sick tones just using other peoples' patches and be cool.

One amp I'd recommend you check out since you have the Two Notes is a VHT Pittbull UltraLead. Doesn't sound like anything else, and I'm comparing it to a BE-100, a Diezel VH4, a Mesa Tremoverb and a Friedman Smallbox and Pink Taco. Really a unique amp and the EQ makes it super versatile.

12. Given To Fly

Given To Fly SS.org Regular

I have the Mesa/Boogie Rectifier Recording Preamp which works well on its own but would probably be easier to work with when something, like a Two Notes Torpedo product, lies between the preamp and the audio interface. I have been using an Eventide Space which may not seem comparable but it actually does the same thing but in a different way.

Anyways, the Rectifier Recording Preamp might be worth your attention. Here is the manual. It explains the Preamp better than I can: http://mesaboogie.com/media/User Manuals/RectifierRecPreAmp.pdf

13. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

A valid concern, I used a podxt for years before I got an axe fx ii, and I spent a ton of time tweaking the pod. Always trying to get a better sound. With the axe fx, I almost never tweak things. There are tons of advanced settings that are there if you want to use them, but the amps just sound right as-is, so I never touch anything past the basic eq these days.

it was also a concern of mine given how tweakable the unit is, but it turns out I'm not a huge tweaker, I just hate playing on equipment where I can't get the right sound. The pod needed to be tweaked, axe fx, not so much.

I can't speak for the kemper as I don't own one.

14. Quitty

Quitty Hates 'mojo'

As a happy Kemper user, i'd say get the Axe-FX.
    I'm not sure the Kemper would play nicely with the Two-Note. The cab section is not just an IR and turning the cab off is only reliably good for about 40% of available profiles.

It would sound awesome - i like it much better than the XFX-II - but it would overlap with what your Two-Notes is doing.

15. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    Mesa Boogie Triaxis? Gives flexibility in tone options, has a full analog signal path, 8 preamps (modes) to choose from, MIDI programmability (and there's some software on the to net use the PC for preset editing and management) and, best of all, a GREAT overall sound... and you already know how to dial into Mesa's gear so you'll quickly learn the Triaxis way...

16. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

ISP Theta pedal was where my (modern high gain low-tuned) guitar tone quest ended. I was either looking at that or a Pitbull (easy $900-1500) but found an ISP Theta pedal for about $200 and took the plunge.

I mainly use a Tremoverb with a boost and probably have it dialed in about as modern as I can get it but found it has its limits (IMO F# range). I LOVE the T-verb but ISP Theta picks up where it leaves off.

I've tried the Theta through the different power sections (direct into FX Return) I have. Some quick notes:

Orange TH30 (4xEL84) - Sounds awesome, some limits on low end but very cool midrange snarl/detail and also some of that small-power tube saturation/compression.
    Tremoverb (4x6L6) - Least favorite. b00my recto power section
    Mesa Bass 400 (6x6550) - Most br00tal and clear with rock solid headroom for low end

17. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Awesome-O

Given To Fly - How has your experience with the Recto Recording Preamp been? I've been very curious about it for a while but there's really not much info on it online. The little bit I have found was total opposites. Some getting great results and the others considering it weak. I'd bypass the recording outs and use the Torpedo with it, which I'm sure would yield great results. What's your thoughts and feelings on it?

Mnemonic - Your post has me contemplating finding an AxeFx to try out. That's one unit I'd definitely need to sit with before taking the plunge since it could easily be tweakers paradise but you've made it seem like it really doesn't have to be. I wouldn't have expected it to be a plug and play piece of gear.

Quitty - If I did find a Kemper to try and ended up liking, I'd most likely use that on its own since the Torpedo would seem redundant to use with it. The guy I bought my Torpedo from bought a Kemper and was even more happy with the Kemper, not that he wasn't with the Torpedo, but it's had me curious.

Odibrom - I've looked pretty heavily into the Mesa preamps. Although the Triaxis is highly regarded, I feel the Recto Recording pre or even a Racktifier would be more up my alley. I really like the Mark series tones, which I'm lead to believe the Triaxis is more of a Mark sound than Recto, the Mark sound isn't really my tone.

cGoEcYk - I've done a lot of preamp research and in 80% of the more recent stuff I've seen online, the Theta pops up. I may grab one of those since they're fairly cheap so I can take the gamble even though I wasn't sold on the distorted tones I've heard so far. Cleans were definitely useable but lead has all sounded very 80's thrash. At least the stuff I've Come across.

18. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

From what I understand, it didn't used to be. But the modeling has come a long way since it first came out.

IIRC the standard and ultra needed a lot of tweaking, but the Axe FX II, as of firmware 16 or 17 (over a year ago now), its been very plug-and-play. Making new patches is a breeze when I feel like trying out a new amp.

19. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    Well, lead2 modes are Mark type of sounds, as well as one of the rythm modes...

Lead1 red has changed over the years, and one iteration was on the recto kind of tones. I don't know which year was that.

As for the mark tones, I'm into lead2 green mode, it is simply the tone in my head. I never bothered into knowing which was which, I used my hears...

20. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

Trust me it is just the users on those vids. It is extremely rare that I find demo vids which are anywhere near the extended range and br00tality that I am looking for. Mostly blues guys and wankers on youtube (types of guys who probably never heard of Meshuggah).