Help me achieve Low Volume Chugging at Home

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Crundles, Jun 9, 2019.

1. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

Nothing replaces moving air. I play my KPA through a 212 in my living room with the TV on or the baby asleep in the same room. I used to have my 5150 and 212 in the living room in my old house and did the same. Modern channel switching amps can usually get down to conversational volumes no problem, especially newer ones like the 5153 50w. And you can compensate with resonance and presence controls at lower volumes to get thump (not boomy) and clarity to taste.

Otherwise, good studio headphones and adjust the tones accordingly (as aforementioned).

2. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

I agree with the real amp with good master volume + cab suggestions. For low volume chugging, that can be a great setup.

If you must use a modeler, consider a good power amp (tube or SS) and a good 2x12 or 4x12.

If you really want to avoid real cabs, I have a set of HS7s that sound quite good with stuff on the PC. I used the Axe FX2 before selling it and that sounded great. More recently I’ve used the Plini plugin from Neural. Also sounds great.

Crundles likes this.
  3. Crundles

Crundles SS.org Regular

Yeah, this is the thing, and mostly why I started the thread.

It's not that I want to avoid real cabs; it's that I've never tried them, don't really have the chance to try them, and so I rely on what I've read online, without any adequate way of judging how accurate the things people write are.

I'll be going over to a friend's house this weekend, to check how the Neural DSP plugins sound through monitoring headphones, so that's a start. It seems studio monitors and an 8-inch FRFR cab are pretty similar, so if I don't like the headphones, it'll be either FRFR + amp sim, or a 112 cab with a preamp pedal + power amp.

I might go for a second hand monitor (can I get just one?), because I could use the Yamaha as an interface, seeing as it's already here and all.

4. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

A good setup with good headphones will work well and give you that cranked affect because it's moving your eardrums like a cranked cab. Problem is you can go deaf cranking headphones to much. I use the ATH-m50 Audio Technica headphones and they sound great and can take more volume than you want to use them at. I'd try to do something other than headphones though because headphones do mess with your head, get in he way and get hot and fall off when you headband, but they sound great.

Crundles likes this.
  5. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Get the amp you like. Get a 1x12 or 2x12 cab that sounds good with that amp. Then plug in a JHS Little Black Amp Box (or any volume pedal, really) in the loop or a Bugera PS1 between the amp and the speaker. Instant power soak! I use them and I dont wake up my one year old in the same room with a 120W amp.

Or you can get those amps with built in power soaks that are relatively cheap but will still give you the amp in a room feel and chugs. Peavey 6505MH or Invective mini for example.

I would've suggested a Katana head or Air since they do saturate and chug in a room more than adequately but you have a Yamaha TH and that would've been a bit same-same.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Deadpool_25 and Crundles like this.
  6. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

There's nothing wrong with modelers. Headphones will work. Cabs will work. Whatever you want to do. Both will get chugs.

Crundles likes this.
  7. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

It’s interesting if you think about this thread. You said you wanted similar to Ola’s tone at conversation volume. But I’m betting when you listened to those videos....conversation volumes, amirite?? :)

Seriously though, what were you using? Try loading up a few videos, maybe even those same ones, and see how they sound through your headphones or whatever without watching them.

8. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

Mesa 2x12 + EVH 5150iii 50w = low volume chugging at home.

9. MrWulf

MrWulf SS.org Regular

How about a pedalboard only set up into a 1x12? Depends on where you are you can get a V30 1x12 cab with reasonable value, a preamp pedal plus a pedal poweramp and you are pretty much set.

Case in point, my set up is a KSR Ceres driving into an AMT Tube Cake at 1.5 watt hook up to a Panama 1x12 with a WGS Veteran 30. Low volume but no loss in thumb or presence at all, and with the same sensitivity and dynamic as a tube amp.

Crundles likes this.