Help me achieve Low Volume Chugging at Home

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Crundles, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Crundles

Crundles SS.org Regular

Hello youtube and welcome to my unboxing video! Today, we cry for help because our practice amp at below TV volume doesn't sound like a Diezel Herbert!

So yeah.

I'm currently using a Yamaha THR10X, and it's a great practice amp. Unfortunately, what I want isn't a great practice amp, but this, at conversation volume:

It's also starting to get pretty apparent that my issue isn't necessarily with the thing creating the sound (i.e. plugin, modeller, practice amp, banging pans together), but the thing I use to listen to the sound - right now, the Yamaha THR10x, with its 2x 3 inch FRFR speakers.

I say this, because I've tried a ton of plugins, and all sound reasonable when I record something in reaper and listen to it on my cheap shitty headphones, but nothing feels all that satisfying to me while I'm actually playing and monitoring through my Yamaha.

So the valid question seems to not be "what plugin do I want for boosted rectifier tones" but more "what should I buy to monitor through".

Should I get decent monitoring headphones? Do I want a FRFR cab like the Headrush FRFR 108 or the Tech21 Deuce Deluxe? Do I need good FRFR nearfield monitors? If so, do I just get the largest diameter I can afford?

I don't necessarily want to mix and master (although it would probably be good for the future), I'm not playing out, or in band practice. I just want a satisfying distorted sound for when I butcher nevermore riffs alone at home, preferably without the neighbours gathering to chant Yuggothian prayers outside my windows.

Thanks!

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Pickup hoarder

If you want some really solid headphones I'd recommend the AKG K240 headphones. They're usually available for under 100USD and sound pretty good imo. I use mine all the time when I'm recording/playing guitar.

I can't really help you with the monitor/FRFR stuff since I've never used those.

Crundles likes this.
  3. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

I'm pretty sure you're gonna be fine with budget headphones too, really. At the end of the day, it's just a guitar. And metal still sounds like metal through my shitty headphones I use for running.

Crundles likes this.
  4. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

[​IMG]

Smallest one I can find...

OliOliver, myrtorp and LiveOVErdrive like this.
  5. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Trade the bugger for a Peavey Vypyr and maybe some headphones if it's still too loud, use any leftover money for moar drugz

PS this ain't Youtube

6. youngthrasher9

youngthrasher9 SS.org Regular

I use Audio Technica Ath-m50X’s with the Fortin Nameless plugin. The main thing I’ve noticed with headphones of this caliber, is that they only sound as good as what you drive them with. I was using the headphone and/or monitor outputs on my Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, but after doing a silent jam session with my drummer and his electric kit, discovered that the headphone mixer we were using sounded way better like it was driving them harder. (It’s a Sterling Audio unit)

Crundles likes this.
  7. Crundles

Crundles SS.org Regular

Yeah, I'm pretty sure a kemper + headphones like the AKG K240 would be the best solution, problem is I don't have money for a kemper, and I'm not sure how the headphones would sound with my Yamaha as the interface.

On the other hand, I'm not sure there's any guarantee that getting a Yamaha HS8, or a Headrush FRFR cab would sound better in the same situation, and they're bound to be more expensive. Anyone have any experience with these, combined with a cheap interface, for bedroom playing?

quick edit: Something else I've been curious about is the Tech21 Paul Landers signature thingie. I really like the look and seeming simplicity of it, but it seems to be meant more for a travelling musician. Anyone with any experience on it?

8. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

You think Im kidding but im not. Head and 412, head and 212, 212 combo, pick your poison.

Deadpool_25 and rexbinary like this.
  9. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Oh. One important thing. If you're jamming on headphones with modelers make sure to add a little reverb or it is gonna sound like trash. Close mic + close speaker (headphones) will sound so dry it'll be gross.

Crundles likes this.
  10. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

I don't have any experience with the AKG 240, but it's my understanding they are hard to drive and not the most neutral.

If you're gonna be listening exclusively on headphones, I'd chip in a bit more for Sennheiser HD600s or Beyerdynamic DT880s 250 ohm. Both are neutral and super comfy, and I greatly prefer open headphones if you can manage it. You can get either for around $100 if you go used.

If I'm not jamming on my amp or headphones, I use my Focusrite Saffire into my Yamaha HS5 monitors and I think it sounds great either with all VST amps or a preamp pedal into the interface with IRs.

That said, I'd be remiss to not recommend my favorite low volume practice setup: preamp pedal, pedal power amp, and a cab of your choosing. Doesn't get better than this for a practice setup to me.

Crundles likes this.
  11. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

If you want to keep to an analog rig, using a pedal is going to make your way much easier than using an amp's preamp section for gain.
    When I was a teenager I had a ShredMaster pedal (which, despite its name, goes from ZZ blues to black album tones) into a Session 90 solid state amp and it did the trick really well. It didn't sound "modern" (on the other hand, it was in the 90es...) but it did sound good.

Crundles likes this.
  12. Crundles

Crundles SS.org Regular

I've considered it, but (bear in mind I've never played an actual tube amp and/or through an actual guitar cab) would this not be a bit too loud for bedroom playing?

13. ATRguitar91

Not at all. I personally use a Rocktron Velocity 120 into a 212 with some pedal preamps, it sounds great at whisper volumes. When the kiddo is asleep it's usually not much louder than the strings on my guitar and the tone is the exact same as when it's cranked. That's the benefit of going solid state.

Ton of versatility with this kind of setup, it's totally modular. Using monitors or headphones is useful, but I'm personally a real cab guy.

Crundles likes this.
  14. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Pickup hoarder

depends on the modeler. I ran my kemper just with headphones for close to two years and it sounded pretty good imo. Personally I detest using effects unless a certain riff/song calls for it.

Crundles likes this.
  15. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Can you run the Yamaha into a 212 cab? I would try that first.

I just don’t see you getting that tone, in the room, at conversation volume without big speakers.

efiltsohg, Deadpool_25 and Crundles like this.
  16. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

I'd just get some affordable studio monitors, they sound great for low volume playing... chugs and all. I have some pretty nice headphones, and I cannot stand practicing with them as it does not sound/feel natural while playing. plus they get hot on my head and its very uncomfortable.

Crundles likes this.
  17. Crundles

Crundles SS.org Regular

Interesting... I thought (well, read online) that guitar cabs just don't sound all that great unless they're at a certain volume? If not, Thomann do sell an extremely cheap 112 with a v30, I could probably look into this. I was under the impression that for low volumes you basically have to go for either studio monitors or a FRFR cab.

Not sure, but I'm definitely not looking to get that tone with my Yamaha alone. Even running a free plugin like Ignite's Emissary sounds a ton better for metal, let alone things like the Mercuriall and Neural DSP demos I've tried.

I guess my main question is, what counts as big speakers for what will most probably be a low-to-medium cost modelling solution?

18. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

AKG K240 feel nice but are utter crap, no volume and low distortion threshold

Even cheapie AKG K92 are better (and have like +18dB more volume on tap)

Crundles likes this.
  19. ATRguitar91

I don't know what the conventional wisdom is on this but I've never found it to be the case. There is some benefit to speaker breakup, but you need serious volume for that depending on the speaker.

The speakers in my 212, Eminence Legends, are high wattage. They're made with clarity in mind so they don't really ever distort with high volumes. In my experience they sound as good at low volumes as they do at high ones.

Crundles likes this.
  20. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

I use a RP360 into a FRFR108, everything you could ask for except user IRs. I have had tons of gear over the years, and it's the most versatile bedroom setup I have had. Only a Fractal modeler would improve upon it IMO, because the AX8 I had was phenominal through a pair of JBL LSR 305s (those are also a great option, but only for bedroom volume). The FRFR108 can get you any volume you need.

Crundles likes this.