HELP! I need Ideas for a custom Ibanez 7

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by sheener19, Dec 14, 2008.

1. sheener19

sheener19 Pomegranate Tiger

Hey Everyone,

I'm really interested in building a custom 7 string mainly because of Chris Broderick's LACS:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

To me this is pretty much the perfect guitar but I want to change it up a bit to make it better suited for me. So far their is a few things I would change:

1. I own a EBMM JP7 and want that neck contour if possible.
    2. I'd rather a mini toggle positioned like my JP, and I don't really feel the need for the kill switch.
    3. I like the 3 piece neck I think I would go with a 5 piece purely for the aesthetic value unless you guys think I would negatively affect the tone.
    4. I was thinking about a baritone scale but I'm not sure I would like it.

I would LOVE for you guys to throw some suggestions out there as to what else I might consider changing. (***however I know there are going to be a lot of people saying to change the nut and the bridge but I'm pretty set on those, unless I can get an Edge Zero 7 If they make those I'm not sure***)

I was thinking of having Chris Woods build this for me. Any suggestions on other builders or is he the way to go?

Thanks for you time everyone!!

2. Jonny

Jonny Perfectionist

I thought the sense of getting a custom guitar was something that you want yourself. If you're asking other people and then perceiving it as a good idea, you're only reading and accepting. So just think to yourself and try and come up with something.

And if you don't know if you'll like a baritone scale. Don't go for a baritone scale. It's a custom. A one off, something you'll love, hug, kiss, polish, wank over and have sex with. If it's a "I put this in cause I wasn't sure" you might get disappointed.

In saying that I'm not trying to be a total ass and not recommend anything, I just feel you can DIY because it will be yours, so why not use what comes out of your head. THEN say "Would it sensible to do this-" not "What would be sensible?"

3. sheener19

Thanks for the reply Jonny

I do agree with the idea that I should come up with the ideas myself so that its truly mine. I hope I'm not coming across as being lazy and having everyone else make decisions for me. I just thought it might be fun and helpful to hear other peoples ideas on what they might think is a good change to the guitar. I came up with a few that I like and I just wanted to see if anyone had some other good ideas that I might be over looking. I thought this might be a good idea so that when its done I'll have a less chance of seeing something later on I might not have thought of to put on my custom.

And thanks for the advice on the baritone that is exactly what I was thinking.

4. Jonny

Jonny Perfectionist

Well if you understand, that's alright.

Do you prefer neck-thru or bolt on? I like neck-thrus more, but obviously costs more however I've never tried the neck-thru on Ibanez'. For looks sake, I like the winged look with a neck-thru, and have the quilt wings.

But with a bolt-on I'd probably have a little contour on the lower arm for better access at the higher frets and possibly a deep contour at the back, like a Caparison.

But that's just me nit-picking if I were to get my own custom.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/se...1-places-to-get-great-custom-sevens-done.html

Will also help you find a reliable custom luthier.

5. MFB

MFB Banned

Stay far far away from Chris Woods/Legacy One

6. sheener19

Thanks Jonny I do really like neck-thrus but I'm not sure if I wanna pay the upcharge

Whats wrong with Chris Woods look like pretty good stuff on his site? Bad experience, or bad quality in general?

7. paintkilz

paintkilz Banned

been hearing bad stories about him lately that really bums me out cause i was gonna build something similar to the broderick..

8. djpharoah

djpharoah Awwww Yeaaaah Super Moderator

Don't know whats up with CW currently but last I had read that a lot of people were waiting like a year + to get simple stuff like a CNC body from him.

If you like to wait and basically "loan" him your money then go ahead.

9. MFB

MFB Banned

Yeah, as DJ said, he's slowed down to a crawl and apparently Legacy isn't even controlled by him anymore. Some people have paid in full ($1,000+) and have still yet to receive their guitars that have been in production for over a year

Not to mention when quality issues are mentioned he simply dodges them and continues on about other things, or will say "Well for every X amount of necks your gonna have a bad one" and then not try to fix the problem for the customer

Check these out for the reputation

Legacy One Guitars OFFICIAL THREAD - Jemsite

Christopher Woods? - Jemsite

10. sheener19

Hmm that's a lot of people saying the same bad things..which is probably a sign of the truth haha.

Well if i wanted to make a RGA7 like Brodericks what would be a good choice?

Jaden Rose looks pretty good. However they're UK based by the looks of it and I live in Canada which may present a problem.

11. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal

Ask Elysian here on the boards.

Or just order a Sherman. ;)

12. CrushingAnvil

CrushingAnvil Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land

Dude, there is nothing 'custom' about what you're doing. you want to look like Chris Broderick :ugh: how about getting a guitar that people will know you by...

13. sheener19

I see that it looks like I am basically making Chris' guitar. But I've been planning this out for a couple weeks now and I started off with that guitar as a base point because it fitted my needs and desires the best and then I thought about what I would have changed, and like I said earlier I came up with a few changes and I'm still changing my mind day by day.

I'm thinking about a neck thru, stainless steel frets, top 4 frets scalloped, and maybe a burst top in another color but I really am a sucker for purple guitars. (I'm thinking about a walnut burst similar to the EBMMJP BFR)

So basically I'm making an RGA7 with:

Body: Mahogany /w lower horn contour
    Top: Quilted Maple
    Finish : Broderick Purple or Walnut Burst (or other)
    Body Binding: Quilted Maple top showing

Neck: 5 piece w/ EBMM JP7 contour (possibly neck-thru)
    Fretboard: Ebony w/ last 4 frets scalloped
    Frets: 24 Stainless Steel
    Inlay: N/A
    Neck Binding: Undecided whether or not I want it
    Nut: Graphite
    Headstock: Reverse
    Tuning Machines: Schaller or Planet Waves (I own both and I am undecided. I like the auto trim feature tho)

Bridge: Edge Pro
    Bridge Pickup: Dimarzio EVO7
    Neck Pickup: Dimarzio Air Norton 7
    Pickup Selector: Mini Toggle
    1 Metal Volume Knob
    1 Metal Tone Knob w/ coil tap
    Jack: Side Jack or Jack like the UV (recessed jack I think its called?)

If that is too close to a Chris Broderick model then so be it. Those are the specs I have worked out that are to my liking and I'm not going to sacrifice something I really like to have some else that I don't like as much just to be a little more different. But I've made about 6 or 7 differences so far and I'll probably make more and some I'm still undecided on. I think the most obvious "rip off" would be the finish but I really like that finish so if I think that is the right way to go over any other finish then that's how I'm gunna do it because that is the way I want it not to copy someone else.

I started this thread to get Ideas on how to possibly improve on it but all I'm getting is flack for how I'm copying. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong I'm just trying to get some input on for you guys becuase I appreciate your knowledge with this stuff and I wanna make the best guitar I can.

Matt