Help getting into modeling

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by ZERO1, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Manurack

Manurack Nunavut Inuk

Get the London look.

-how-to-get-the-london-look-191800.jpg

2. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

I would also recommend running IRs in stereo (pick two that sound very close to one another, otherwise you won't get the stereo effect), and also a chorus (before or after reverb) that's tweaked to only add width without sounding chorusey (requires some time to tweak, but it is possible as long as the chorus has lots of controls and can be dialed this way). It's also a really good idea to spend a fair bit of time playing with reverb, it is indeed essential and finding the right one that is set up just right can make or break the whole thing.

Infamous for having high self noise (hiss from the twitter).

I actually have 4" monitors that only go down to 60hz, and they're fine. Not much different from 6.5" that I had that went down to 45hz. The difference is biggest when comparing electronic music. As far as guitars, 4" do sound a slightly bit thinner, but in general I don't think you can achieve a real cab sound with IRs and monitors. If you want that - just get a SS power amp and a cab. A lot of IRs are pre-EQd to sound good in a mix anyway, so they won't have any serious low end information at all.

Bottom line - imo, smaller but better monitors are better than larger but crappier.

3. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

I have the Yamaha HS5 and they do the job perfectly, would definitely recommend them. I also have the Headrush 108, and I probably wouldn't want it as my only source. For what it is, it's fine, but you're going to get a much better representation of your tone with a set of monitors.

4. ZERO1

ZERO1 SS.org Regular

Thanks for the great information. I wish I knew that about the dt 770 pros before I bought them. Which headphones would you recommend?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  5. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Most of the top tier modelers have a stereo widener effect available to do what you use chorus for.

6. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I like the Sennheiser HD650/6XX. I also own DT 990 Pros and they are more comfortable to wear than the Sennheisers. But no headphones are flat, the Sennheisers just happen to have a relatively balanced frequency response out of the box. Any headphones can benefit from some EQ correction so don't worry about it, just use some correction with the DT 770 Pros.

7. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

Helix had one added recently, but imo it's not that great, it's kinda weird sounding. My chorus preset is way better and natural. I used to use Mercuriall Chorus WS-1 VST when I was playing through the computer, it did the same trick, but you didn't have to tweak it really, I'm pretty sure they build this VST to act as a tone neutral widener as well.

8. Calibix

Calibix 16.666% more string

How come no one ever mentions Headrush Pedal board in modeler threads? Are they not liked, or are they too new that people don't have the experience with them?

I'm an intermediate guitar player and not a huge tone snob, but my Headrush checked enough boxes that I sold my whole rig. I only have living room and local ambitions, if that. The board, two monitors, and the extra expression pedal was less than $2k, which was less than my rig.

Again, just curious why no love for the Headrush. Seems like it would work really well for a lot of people if they gave it a shot. Then again, I'm fully aware that a lot of guitar players are resistant to change.

littlebadboy likes this.
  9. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

It's basically a somewhat poorly supported UI upgrade on the Avid ElevenRack which is fairly old tech. It just isn't in the same category as Fractal, Line6 or Kemper. I am also not fond of its UI design.

As long as you like it then it's fine.

10. Calibix

But, this is exactly what I mean. It's an "upgrade" in your own words, so what does it matter how old the original tech is? Not sure what you mean by it being poorly supported, could you elaborate? I updated the firmware, downloaded rigs from the cloud, and found a bunch of free IR's without issue. What don't you like about the UI? It's a touch screen with drag and drop, and drop-down menu's. A kid old enough to use a phone could figure it out.

Can't speak to the Fractal or Kemper as those were out of my price range, but I looked at the Line 6. Granted I only had youtube to go buy, but HR did a better job of amp modeling in the videos I watched, and I didn't really care about a bunch of effects I'd never use. They weren't even close. Obviously all in my opinion and YMMV, but like I said, if everyone is going to mention Line 6 in modeler threads to compare to Fractal and Kemper, Headrush should get a fair shake.

11. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

You might also consider Focal Alpha 65s.

I had a Headrush 108 and didn’t like it very much. Definitely needed a bass cut and didn’t seem nearly as high fidelity as my HS7s.

I don’t feel the need to get new monitors as I love the HS7s but if someone stole them I’d try the Alpha 65s just to change it up.

12. Deadpool_25

Laxu said it’s an upgrade over the Avid ElevenRack. A lot of people say (I haven’t used it) that the ElevenRack sounds pretty bad compared to the newer top shelf modelers (Fractal, Helix, Kemper, and now QC).

The Headrush might be an upgrade, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s gotten to the level of those others. A friend had one and almost immediately ditched it saying it “sounded like shit.” He got an HX Stomp and was happy with that and has recently picked up a QC which he loves.

I believe most folks who have given the Headrush a “fair shake” in direct comparison with other modelers find the Headrush somewhat lacking.

If you love it that’s fine. Enjoy. Try not to be annoyed that something you love isn’t universally considered top shelf.

13. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

Wow, that AutoEQ thing is pretty cool. Since the QC can play IRs couldn’t he just load the correction curve in series in a cab at the end of the chain? I may mess with that on mine.

I have the AT-M40s, Sony MDR7506, Blue MoFi and Lola, and DT770 Pros. I have to admit I like the 770s quite a bit, when I use the QC, I actually use the 770s or Blues the most w/ it. IME, they ALL sound wildly different from one another. I think you just have to ‘learn the sound’ of your cans and keep it in mind. A flat headphone just doesn’t seem to exist.

Speaking of headphones, every pair I’ve ever owned except the 770s which are felt, are flaking black stuff all over the place thanks to that horrible industry standard faux leather. I absolutely do not get why even the $300+ headphones like the Blues use this cheap fake leather that starts falling apart within 6 months. For that alone, the DT770s score major points with me these days. Actually, if the MDR7506 just had a detachable cord and felt cups I’d never use anything else, probably.

14. Calibix

I'm not annoyed at all. My point was his criticism weren't really on point. His first example is like saying Tesla's are no good because they are based on Model T's. You may or may not like the Tesla, but it's a poor analogy. His second example he states he doesn't like the UI, but doesn't say what it is he doesn't like. His comments didn't really tell me anything other than he didn't like it.

Even your friend's comment "it sounded like shit" isn't really helpful when that's subjective. If he had said, the lows are muddy, the mids suck, etc that's useful.

I'm pretty new to the forums, so maybe these threads happened and I didn't see them, but I just don't see the mentions about Headrush. It's reviews/ratings were on par or better than the Line 6 when I was shopping them, so I am just trying to understand the disconnect. I realize I probably came off fanboi though, which was not my intention. It's just surprising considering to my ear it sounds better than a Line 6 and its cheaper.

I do want to try more modeler's in the future. Maybe when I finally try a Fractal or QC I'll immediately "get it".

15. ZERO1

ZERO1 SS.org Regular

I was also really looking at the Adam Audio T7V. Any opinion on those anyone?

16. Deadpool_25

The whole thing is subjective. I’ve never tried a headrush gig board so I don’t have an opinion on it—I can only go off of what I’ve heard from others and YouTube videos. Neither is definitive.

Earlier today I asked John Cordy what he thought of the Headrush and he said it sounds good. In terms s of opinions I tend to trust his as he’s able to use these things back to back. I guess the Headrush just isn’t quite as popular as the others. He did say it got a bit of a reputation for shaky reliability. Idk

17. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Yes you could do that too and get even better results. EQ takes less DSP though.

Elric likes this.
  18. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I said UI upgrade, namely that the modeling is largely the same old Elevenrack tech. Poorly supported is that it rarely gets firmware updates. As for how it operates, I don't like the "3 knobs at a time" in view system where you have to scroll the side thing to adjust stuff. I don't feel having big pictures of amps and pedals adds much to the user experience either. If you like how it sounds and operates it's fine.

I'm a big fan of the Helix. I think it's very easy to use and sounds great. I actually compared some pedals I had to its effects and the Helix sounded just as good so I haven't had any pedals for years now. Its amp modeling is on par with Fractal and Quad Cortex in my experience so it's definitely in that same category. I did not feel that was the case for the Headrush.

19. Calibix

Thanks, this was informative. Again, didn't mean to come off fanboi was just wondering if I messed up basically.

20. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I'll state it again. As long as you like how it is to use and how it sounds then that's the right product.

Crundles, Calibix and Deadpool_25 like this.