Help finding someone to make a 7 string single coil with gold pole pieces

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Simic, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Simic

Simic SS.org Regular

Hey. So the thread title says it all - I am looking for a pickup maker to make me a 7 string single coil with gold pole pieces. Ive messaged quite a few pickup makers and the gold pole pieces seem to be a problem for everyone. I don't really understand the logic behind this as these same pickup makers have no problem making a humbucker with gold pole pieces but I know absolutely nothing about pickup making so there might be a good reason behind it :lol: :nuts:

Anyway, can someone suggest a PU maker that is willing to do what I'm after?
    The pickup will be in the neck position at an angle like on this caparison horus bellow:
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

2. Hywel

Hywel SS.org Regular

I bet the problem is that the poles in a single coil are the alnico magnets whereas in a humbucker they're just steel rods. You could probably get the alnico poles custom plated somewhere but you might find it easier to have them make a pickup with gold plated steel poles/screws and place a pair of bar magnets underneath like a P90. It will likely sound different to a normal single coil but will look right and probably still sound pretty good if the winders up to it.