Help Finding A New 7 String

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Metal Guitarist, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Metal Guitarist

Metal Guitarist Pinky is key

Hey guys, I have been looking for an all mahogany 7 string guitar with a fixed bridge. I already own a Schecter Hellraiser C-7 FR but I can't stand the Floyd Rose since I like to change tunings a lot. I'm thinking about getting another Hellraiser with a fixed bridge since I love the tone and I've come to really like the fat neck but I want to check out some other options as well. I've already considered getting a Tremol-No but I decided that it would be best to just get a new guitar with a fixed bridge. What do you guys recommend? Remember, all mahogany neck and body! :lol:

2. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths

Neck and body? You may have to go custom on that, not sure. :shrug:

But if you want a good mahogany body, recessed TOM - check out the Ibanez Apex 2s.

Ibanez K7APEX2 Electric Guitar | Musician's Friend
    [​IMG]

3. Evil Weasel

Evil Weasel SS.org Regular

Mahogany body, (mostly mahogany) neck and recessed TOM = Mayones Setius. Here is mine to illustrate that!

[​IMG]

4. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths

5. Evil Weasel

Apex 2 is a good more affordable alternative though. I've played my friends and it was very nice indeed. Sounds mighty with a pickup change too.

6. WhoThenNow7

WhoThenNow7 SS.org Regular

What other pickups have you played with in an apex 2? Just curious as to what sounds good in it.

7. Evil Weasel

Never tried it with the originals tbh. My friend has a duncan distortion in it and it sounded great.

8. wookie606

wookie606 Telecaster Fetish

That's my guitar :)

I didn't get along with the stock PAFs so I removed them and sold them (PAFs sell super fast!).

9. icos211

icos211 Schecter faithful

Both of these ^ options are over 2,000 dollars new, with the Mayones pushing 4, if I'm finding my information right. For an all Mahogany body and neck, the only affordable option that comes to mind is indeed a Hellraiser C-7 with the TOM. If you are willing to go maple neck, your options open up like you wouldn't believe. With the same fat profile you were saying that you like, the Schecter Blackjack ATX 7, along with the Loomis sigs are right up your alley, with the SLS and (future) Merrow Sigs having a bit thinner, maple necks. Hardtail Banshee 7s are coming as well, I believe, if you are interested in a flat top. Again, though, those are maple necked. Next year is going to be a huge year for Schecter, so if you can keep your wallet in your pants for that long many incredible options are going to be flying your way.

If you are willing to spend Apex money, though, then I would suggest going to Carvin and ordering a DC700, or DC727 with all mahogany options. If you have Mayones money to throw around, then might I suggest an all mahogany RAN? That would look nice... And feel nice... And sound nice...

However, if you are looking to spend less than $1000, and still want impeccable quality, all mahogany construction, bigger neck profile, and fixed bridge, a Hellraiser is just THE go-to guitar.

Edit: a quick ebay search has spotted Apex 2's for $800. Silly me and my quick googling only revealing Apex100's. Still, maple necks on these two models.

10. themike

themike Chug Life

Just curious why you want an all mahogany 7 string?

11. fortisursus

fortisursus SS.org Regular

You could spec out a Carvin too.

12. 7stringsearcher

7stringsearcher SS.org Regular

I could recommend buying my Blackjack ATX C7? ;) hahaha.
    Here are the specs if you're at all interested:
    Blackjack ATX C-7 - Schecter Guitar Research

When I first set out to look for a 7 string, I had a few things I decided that I needed.
    -Not an ibanez like neck(super thin and flat)
    -A fixed/string thru bridge.
    -Active pups(my preference at the time)
    -I didn't want generic inlays
    and that was basically it. At the time, I was only fairly knowledgeable about the main companies(ESP, Ibanez, Schecter, Gibson, Fender, etc). The searcher actually led me here looking for the exact guitar I mentioned. I found one and got in and fell in love. Unfortunately, an offer for one of my dream 6 strings came up and I had to sell it in order to purchase said 6er(ESP Horizon). Then a couple months later, after a couple trades, I came across another one that I absolutely love!
    The reason I'm trying to sell the Schecter? I recently became the owner of a JP7 and literally no guitar I've ever played compares except the JP-12 7s and other newer versions. Sorry for blabbering, hopefully this helped you, and if interested send a PM my way!

13. Metal Guitarist

Metal Guitarist Pinky is key

Because they sound beefy and I'm using a boosted 6505+ so I think I could use the darkness.

14. Herrick

Herrick Hello Mangs

You could get a Carvin butt you'd have to wait for them to build it. Wait...do Carvin do all mahogany necks?

15. stevexc

stevexc SS.org Regular

Just checked, they do.

16. NolanLikesLions

NolanLikesLions SS.org Regular

The LTD H-307 has a mahogany body, and mahogany neck. Keep an eye out for one of those on ebay, or on craigslist, if you find one, game over. Amazing guitar.