Help Convince Me to Get Rid Of My One Spot Power Supply....(Pedal powering questions)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by scottro202, Sep 7, 2015.

1. scottro202

scottro202 I'm walkin' here!!!

Hey guys,

Was talking to a dude who was playing at my work last night. I mentioned my wonderful One Spot. I know about noise blah blah blah, but I don't get a whole lot of it. He mentioned it's actually possible to destroy pedals if you have a bad power supply (IE a One Spot). Is that possible?

2. SandyRavage

SandyRavage SS.org Regular

For home and basic gigging use you'll probably never notice the difference in noise. They are great units and I still keep mine around. If you start gigging a bunch of different venues, states, climates, etc. the benefit of cleaner power and isolated pedals becomes more and more apparent and investing in a power brick and power conditioner seems much more worthwhile.

Also if your OCD like myself it makes things more manageable which is a major bonus as well :lol:

3. ZeroS1gnol

ZeroS1gnol SS.org Regular

Onespot is a great PSU, period. Yeah, isolated power is cool, but you don't really have added value unless you run more than let's say 6 pedals. If you have tone related issues, get a buffer. Also good to section off your pedals, ie use loops to cut off pedals that are not in use.

4. Zeno

Zeno SZ Hunter

I'd switch to the Livewire daisy chain, if I were you, but other than that, nah man, daisy chain away. Makes things a lot easier, and saves space. I just know that the Livewire one is, in fact, quieter than the Onespot

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I've heard a lot of folks love their OneSpots, but I've had so many fail on me. Yeah, they were replaced for free, but who wants to deal with that?

When I say "fail" I mean they'd all of a sudden stop powering my pedals. No noise or fading or anything else, just plain stopped working. They were all kept in a rack drawer with my pedals (activated remotely) so it's not like I was jumping on it or throwing it in a gigbag pocket.

No joke, I went through nearly a dozen (ran two at a time).

I moved on to VooDoo Pedal Power that I got used for $70 and it's worked perfectly for years.

6. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I used to use a One-Spot and did a lot of home playing and small gigs with it no problem. However, I got tired of having all the excess cabling and having extra outputs, so I upgraded to a Voodoo Lab PP2+ and have absolutely no regrets. My pedal shelf is now neater and I have no noise issues.

The One-Spot is fine if you only have a chain of a few pedals into the front of your amp, but if you reach the mA limit on it or try to run pedals into the front end and in the loop of your amp then you will get noise or weak power to your pedals. Plus the Voodoo Lab stuff is rugged as shiet and I was always scared of destroying my One-Spot if I stepped on it or if anything fell on it.

I love both of my Voodoo PP2+ units (one of which was an upgrade from their ISO5 model) but really any isolated power supply unit will offer the same benefits. I'd also look into the T Rex stuff or the Dunlop IsoBrick

7. TamanShud

TamanShud Finished

I've been using the T Rex chameleon for like five years running anywhere from three to twelve pedals. Never had an issue with noise or hum, even with super loud/gross boutique fuzzes and stuff. Highly recommended:yesway:

8. downburst82

downburst82 SS.org Regular

I had the godlyke power-all and it worked great up to a point (13 pedals). Even though I never had huge noise issues with the godlyke as soon as I upgraded to the mxr cae mc403 it made a difference I run 18 pedals now and its still keeps things super clean. As far as a one spot/godlyke destroying pedals I dont see why it would if hooked up properly.