Helix LT / EzDrummer2 / Ormsby GTR TX 7 - Metal Test

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by ChugThisBoy, May 26, 2019.

1. ChugThisBoy

ChugThisBoy SS.org Regular

Hi, just like the title says. I did a little demo of my main rhytm patch. So please critisize and if anyone will like it, I can share the patch. Cheers

BananaDemocracy likes this.
  2. a curry

a curry SS.org Regular

Sounds great man. Did you use pre programmed midi drums or did you do them yourself with ez drummer? I'm looking for some time tips with this.

Also great guitar tone man.

3. ChugThisBoy

Oh wow, someone actually replied xD Thank you :) I'm doing all the programming myself. I tend to use stock fills sometimes but this time it's all done by hand.

4. a curry

a curry SS.org Regular

I may be messaging you here later on to pick your brain if you wouldn't mind.

5. BananaDemocracy

BananaDemocracy 8 String Impaler

Hey. Man
    Sounds brutal, nice tone

I like your mix and I’m trying to learn how. To record daw and mix
    Can. You take a screenshot of your tracks or describe what is in your workflow ?..
    If possible , and if it is derailing then PM if you want?.

Either way it’s exellent. Keep up the great work,,,,outro at 1;25 with the chug is great

6. ChugThisBoy

Thanks guys. I'll post my signal chain and some screenshots today after work, maybe some of you will find it useful. Thanks again!

7. ChugThisBoy

Ok, so basically I'm not so good at describing this kind of things but I'll give it a try.

First of all, this is my signal chain:

Ormsby - > Helix LT - > HB GPA-400 - > HB 2x12 w/V30's
    |
    USB

I'm splitting my signal in a way where I'm playing through my cab (or IR if you will) and at the same time I'm recording via USB. Please see the picture below:

upload_2019-6-4_21-50-43.png

I've learned to use my cab in a way when I know when it sounds good to me and I figured what cab from Helix sounds best and fits in the best way possible the "real" sound.
    And that's it, really. I'll share the preset here somwhere. It has three snapshots: first one is my main rhythm sound, second one is pretty much the same thing but with more gain and mids plus some reverb and delay, third one is something like crunch channel. Of course everyone has different view of a good tone so it may sounds different with your setup.

In the case of mixing, I'm using Reaper as my DAW. Here's my setup for this particular session:

upload_2019-6-4_21-59-18.png

As you can see this is a very basic thing. EzDrummer2 with multiple outputs for every part of drums that I'm currenty using, guitar bus and bass bus. Then, when mastering, I'm sending it to the "Master" track (it's a default setting in Reaper btw).

In case of drums, currently I'm using the Metal! expansion with Tape setting.
    Then EzMix2 really comes in handy if you want to shape your drums sound somehow. I really like this plugin because it can serve as a great tool if it's used properly. Then some compression and an eq with little boost around 1.5k. And as you can see at the previous image, you have a comp built in in the package and it works like a nice boost for snare and kick (at least I use it in that way).

upload_2019-6-4_22-4-32.png

I'm not going to describe how I eq every track because this will be going forever but I always tend not to use more than 6 VST's for each track. Usually there is some compression, eq, EzMix2 (shaping the sound, again), Izotope Imager, Fab Filter Pro-MB and SSL Channel Stereo - in that order. That should give you some idea.

Now, in case of guitars, my general rule is: your source tone is everything. You don't wanna spend huge amounts of time when fixing it in your DAW (you're propably not going to anyway). So make sure that you sound good to your ears. I only use some parrallel compression from EzMix2, Fab Filter Pro-Q to cut some annoying frequencies and Fab Filter Pro-MB at the end for some of that thicc low end. And that's it really.

Bass is a little bit different. I record one DI track and then duplicate it. One track is going to carry the bass and the other one is only for distortion. For the clean, bassy track, you'll need to compress it nicely and treat it with some good eq. I don't have any rules for that, you need to listen to your low end on the track (listening in mono is very helpful).
    For the distorted track, I like to use guitar amps from EzMix2 or Fab Filter Saturn. Then eq it to your taste and use some compression.

At the end I like to shape the overall bass tone in the bus track and I use compression and Izotope Imager for it (for most of times).

When I'm mastering, I like to use stock EzMix2 presets as they give me some good ideas for what I want to hear in the final print. Then Izotope Maximizer and some compression.
    Oh, and listen to your track in mono. It helps a lot.

And that's it. I don't know if any of this makes sense but you asked for it ;p

Here's the link for Helix preset: https://we.tl/t-uCIqj2tPF7

Cheers.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  8. ChugThisBoy

A little bit late reply but did you actually messaged me? xd