Helix 3.0 Firmware Update Is Out

DarrellM5

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've owned the full Helix since the 1st shipment in 2015 and bought a HX Stomp as soon as it was available. My favorite parts of this update, so far, are:
  • Command Center for HX Stomp (now I can use it to send MIDI)
  • 2 extra blocks on HX Stomp (I run it 4 cable method with a real amp and a couple pedals so now using 2 of the blocks for fx loops isn't such a big deal)
  • Precision Drive (Wow, nailed it!!)
  • HM-2 (Nailed that one too)
  • Favorites (Super convenient for really fast patch creation)
  • VH4 (HUGE!!!)
  • Poly Capo (Works really well)
  • Auto Impedance (Adjusting the impedance to match the 1st enabled block is a big deal)
I still have to experiment with the other new features but Line 6 really delivered on this update. I feel a Helix with more horsepower can't be too far off and I'm instantly ordering it if/when that happens.

WarMachine

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Slight derail but i figured it could be useful to some. Don't completely write off the built in IR's. I know, i know, they sound like garbage..but some of them actually sound great at least in the Pod GO with certain amps. I'm loving the fvck out of the PV Panama sim using the 4x12 XXL. I meant to post this a few days ago but work has been kicking the ever-loving shit out of me this week..

End rant, that is all :wavey:

GunpointMetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Slight derail but i figured it could be useful to some. Don't completely write off the built in IR's. I know, i know, they sound like garbage..but some of them actually sound great at least in the Pod GO with certain amps. I'm loving the fvck out of the PV Panama sim using the 4x12 XXL. I meant to post this a few days ago but work has been kicking the ever-loving shit out of me this week..

End rant, that is all :wavey:
The cab's can be a little off-putting depending on the tone you're going for, but are perfectly serviceable, especially with you run two in parallel. That XXL cab with a 57 on one instance and one of the ribbons on another blended together is as good as any IR I own. IRs are jus faster.

Digital Igloo

Line 6
Reaction score
My main concern is when are they going to release one in bean form?
A few hurdles:
  1. A bean version of HX Stomp wouldn't be any smaller, because the main board is sandwiched beneath the footswitch board. Removing three switches might save a bit of money but a bean-shaped cast aluminum chassis (and custom I/O boards to fit the rounded edge) and Helix Control jack so you can actually control it would make it more expensive than Stomp.
  2. We had to blow out POD HD Bean for $199 towards the end because it was by far the least popular of the POD HD SKUs.
  3. We consider Helix Native our desktop/studio solution.
Anyone else think a lot of the "Artist Presets" are kinda MEH?
All. Presets. Suck.©

Ericjutsu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
All presets do not suck. They sound great with plenty of other modelers I've used. It's the stock cabs that are the problem

broangiel

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That's because they had to use the stock cabs
I mentioned this on TGP, but for the first time since I first touched the Helix platform, I'm finding the stock cabs to be usable. I don't know if that's a reflection on Cab block improvements or Amp block improvements, but I played my HX Stomp without loading up any user IRs for the first time ever this past weekend.

GunpointMetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That's because they had to use the stock cabs
Eh, IRs are faster, but the stock cabs are totally useable. Mixing mics and a little early reflections can get IR-comparable sounds easily. But that would require someone spent more than 5 minutes building a patch, which is what a lot of the artist ones seem to be. Like they just threw whatever amp model they might like with some FX they might use, but didn't really try to tweak at all.

sleewell

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
i really love Joe Gore's presets. they are so crazy and fucked up its awesome. i dont like presets just to find my main dirty or clean tone, i can do that. but for the wacked out crazy stuff i like seeing what people can create.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
All. Presets. Suck.©

What's the current process for creating artist presets like?

Do you guys send them a particular product, have them create it on there, and then they submit them?

Is there any direction given or is it like "you have five spaces to fill, have at it?"

Without naming names or burning bridges, how many artists get into it vs. phoning it in? Is it like a 50/50 thing?

Do you ever reject any?

Ericjutsu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Eh, IRs are faster, but the stock cabs are totally useable. Mixing mics and a little early reflections can get IR-comparable sounds easily. But that would require someone spent more than 5 minutes building a patch, which is what a lot of the artist ones seem to be. Like they just threw whatever amp model they might like with some FX they might use, but didn't really try to tweak at all.
that's the problem. I'm not saying it's impossible to get a good sound with the stock cabs, but it just takes longer with more tweaking than other modelers.

GunpointMetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
i really love Joe Gore's presets. they are so crazy and fucked up its awesome. i dont like presets just to find my main dirty or clean tone, i can do that. but for the wacked out crazy stuff i like seeing what people can create.
There were definitely a few with some cool FX layouts.

GunpointMetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
that's the problem. I'm not saying it's impossible to get a good sound with the stock cabs, but it just takes longer with more tweaking than other modelers.
I think it really can be a work flow thing. I have a couple of IRs that I like to use for my live sounds, so those are easy, but general tweaking, I don't think scrolling IRs in any faster or any less work than adjusting the built-in cabs.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know why fiddling with stuff for an extra few minutes is a negative. There's a damn good approximation of tens of thousands of dollars in gear at your fingertips, it should be fun messing with that stuff. :lol:

GunpointMetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't know why fiddling with stuff for an extra few minutes is a negative. There's a damn good approximation of tens of thousands of dollars in gear at your fingertips, it should be fun messing with that stuff. :lol:
For sure, honestly the cabs were never that bad, but the stock settings in the early firmware versions were not optimized in any way. There's still a lot of people that really just want to put their music through a picture of a tone when they go digital, so anything that requires effort is basically non-functional.

Ericjutsu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't mind fiddling with knobs, it's just I don't like
For sure, honestly the cabs were never that bad, but the stock settings in the early firmware versions were not optimized in any way. There's still a lot of people that really just want to put their music through a picture of a tone when they go digital, so anything that requires effort is basically non-functional.
It would be much easier if they just added the option to move the mix horizontally instead of having to try to mimic the effect with EQ. That's my gripe with the stock cabs. It's not like I'm the only one that has issues with the stock cabs. Most people I've asked have the same opinion, even the guitar players that I look up to for tone.