Helix 3.0 Firmware Update Is Out

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by DC23, Nov 19, 2020.

1. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

Agreed. If for anything else the acoustic sim. I can deal with all the amps/IR's/default effects but the acoustic sim is a necessity.

HeHasTheJazzHands likes this.
  2. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

LOL. HM2 for realz? That is awesome... people have begging Cliff at Fractal for years to do that pedal (and the Klon) nice to see someone deliver on that. Will have to check out the Native version. I dumped my Stomp recently but still have Native.

3. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

I tried out all the new stuff except for some of the poly stuff. ..that was a good update. Damn.

Goatfork likes this.
  4. Boofchuck

Boofchuck SS.org Irregular

I was not expecting to like the Diezel sim and I actually love it.

5. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

I'm curious to see how it compares to the Fractal sims. Didn't like the Fractal VH4 or Hebert sims, so I REALLY wanna hear this one.

6. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

I'm now annoyed I'm at work, and now more annoyed as I remembered Im in the middle of moving and the Helix is at new place PC still at old place lol so will have to wait a few

7. Boofchuck

Boofchuck SS.org Irregular

I haven't tried the fractal sims. I do have the Brainworx one though. I just A/B'd the Helix and Brainworx models and they're pretty close to my ears. The helix model is super dark sounding fyi and I could see a lot of people not liking it.

8. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

The new amp sims are really nice. The Diezel amp sim seems to pair well with cabs that are a bit more midscooped, at least with my BKP Juggernaut there was a bit too much of a midrange boost with some V30 cabs.

The acoustic sim seems useful and the pitch shift functions work really well. I don't know if I will find any use for them beyond the occasional virtual capo.

The Horizon Drive is really good block, nice addition from Line6 there.

I am disappointed that there wasn't upgraded basic reverbs because that's one of the most needed upgrades on the unit. Hopefully in 3.1 which should come out maybe sometime around NAMM.

9. Stealth7

Stealth7 SS.org Regular

Nice HM-2! Been wanting to get a Helix, now might be the time to finally get one.

10. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Oh wow just peeped the artist preset list. Awesome stuff Mastodon, Thrice, Monuments, and Bulb.

Devin Townsend already mentioned as well and Pete Thorn's will likely be rad too.

11. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

I've been looking into getting a Pod Go myself lately because although the Stomp is nice, it is roughly $200 more (up here anyway). If they plan on adding more stuff on the regular, it just might be worth it. If you look at the manual for the Pod Go, it does have all the amps & effects up until the last firmware update of the Helix right before this one, so it would be VERY cool if they did update it once in a while but given how much they had to strip down the Helix to make it into the Pod GO, I don't know how much room there is left in it to add more.

12. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

When they were releasing the POD Go @Digital Igloo reiterated A LOT that it was not gonna be a Helix-series product and would be on its own update schedule and roadmap over on TGP knowing that a lot of people would buy it thinking they were getting a "mini helix" and then complaining loudly after the fact.

Does anyone know what the "extended range" of the gate does? I don't quite get the -90dB threshold. I'm gonna mess around with it this weekend, but wondering if anyone knows what the advantage would be.

Spinedriver likes this.
  13. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

ya they made that super clear.
    but the entire Facebook group is like...uh so it's a mini helix? great. I would love a mini helix.

Not as many people as I thought complaining that the go didn't get the 3.0 update though.

14. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I thought the Mini-Helix already existed... it is called the HX Stomp. lol

15. diagrammatiks

exactly.

16. Vegetta

Vegetta Change Everything

At first glance i thought FANTASTIC these artist patches should be fun to mess around with. Then the reality that those were just for the full helix and the stomp would not be getting those sunk in and I was sad :(

but actually this was a good update for the stomp 2 more blocks, HM-2, Horizon Devices and Diezels OH MY.!!! I have not tried the acoustic sim or the poly pitch shift or freeze yet but those look interesting as well.

17. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

So you gonna trade the Axe FX for a Helix now??

I kid, but that update does look pretty damned good.

18. diagrammatiks

19. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Yeah, I know it won't be getting *everything* the Helix offered. Just would kinda suck if it was abandoned after one update. :lol:I'm not getting my hopes up for the crazy poly pitch effects or the delays. But if we can get the Diezels and the new drives, that would be killer.

Spinedriver likes this.
  20. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

The amount of people that complained about there not being full floor processing in the stomp, photoshopped their own versions, etc when it was announced was hilarious. If one wants a Helix, buy a Helix.

Backsnack likes this.