Helix 3.0 Firmware Update Is Out

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by DC23, Nov 19, 2020.

1. DC23

DC23 SS.org Regular

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere but I figured I would let people know since it was kind of buried in other threads on TGP--Helix 3.0 is out and it looks to be a significant update: 8 blocks, polyphonic pitch shifting and a bunch of effects and a couple amps / cabs.

https://line6.com/support/topic/58253-helix-30—the-along-came-poly-update/

Release Notes:
    https://line6.com/support/page/kb/effects-controllers/helix/helix-30-release-notes-r934/

Any HX users care to share whether this is an exciting update and makes the HX line a more attractive purchase? I've been toying with the idea of getting a stomp haha.

2. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

it looks AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im geeked for the diezel. im geeked for fuzzes. i'm geeked for effects. im geeked for the artist user presets.

so cool. Christmas came early!!

3. Bentaycanada

Bentaycanada SS.org Regular

Diezel, HM-2, Precision Drive....:hbang:

sleewell likes this.
  4. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Noice.

5. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

HM-2 is seriously awesome, the legacy version wasn't even in the ballpark, but this one seems like a really good model. Never owned an HM2, and to be honest I don't even like the sound all in all, but it does sound very close to the record tones (Entombed, At the Gates, etc).

Precision Drive is really cool too, haven't quite figured it out yet, but I didn't like any other boosts aside from the 808. This one I do like. Maybe I'm too used to the tone of the 808, I dunno.

Poly pitch shifting seems really cool, but I don't really have any use for it. The capo shifts from E to D standard pretty convincingly, and you can even tweak the latency. For home use it just clashes too much with the acoustic sound of the guitar, but it should be okay for playing occasional covers with the track in the background. But it's probably really awesome for people who play live.

Really hoping for some metal amps in the future - IIC+ (or JP2C), 5153, Savage, Valvestate (for Death tones, that would be absolutely amazing), and probably a dozen more. On the other hand, Revv from the previous update kicks some really serious ass, I'm not even sure if I'll use another amp tbh, but it never hurts to try.

There's a Devin Townsend preset, it's pretty amusing.

Dineley and sleewell like this.
  6. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Uuuugh this is fucking awesome. Hope a POD GO update comes soon.

vilk and sleewell like this.
  7. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

There's also a preset-based spillover now, seems super useful for live use. You have to sacrifice one DSP path, but on the plus side won't have to tinker with snapshots and block placements. 8 whole presets with gapless preset change and spillover just one footswitch away, and no programming tricks required. Pretty clever feature.

Veldar, vilk, Backsnack and 4 others like this.
  8. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

The acoustic sim is surprisingly nice too, it needs some EQing to sound right (and compression too), but after 5-10 minutes I've made a fairly passable piezo-like acoustic tones. I'm pretty sure you can make it sound a fair bit better too. It's pretty impressive overall.

https://voca.ro/1lqLdL1BFKSR

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  9. DC23

DC23 SS.org Regular

Thanks for posting that. Sounds pretty convincing to a non-acoustic player like me!

nickgray likes this.
  10. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

I used to have the Boss acoustic simulator pedal WITH my acoustics, and it helped it sounds more like a mic'd acoustic than a piezo. Do you think this might be able to do something similar?

11. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

That's exactly what they've modeled, so it should work for you I reckon.

Apparently there is such a thing as acoustic IR.

http://acousticir.free.fr/spip.php?rubrique2

I'm done tinkering for today, but if it is what I think it is, you might get even more impressive results.

12. HeHasTheJazzHands

No one tell LWA about the HM2 model. :ugh:

13. Blasphemer

Blasphemer Bird Law expert

I can attest that the HM-2 is legit. I stacked it up against one of my MIJs and my Throne Torcher, and it's definitely right in line with both of them.

Also having SO much fun with the Poly Sustain!

14. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

Hard to say if there will even be a Pod Go update.. From what I've read, the 'poly' effects are pretty intensive in the DSP department and I don't think the GO can handle them. That being said, I can't see any reason why they couldn't add the amps & effects because the GO should be able to handle those easily. However, I thought I read somewhere that someone was saying that Line 6 might not update the Pod Go at all.

15. spudmunkey

Hmm...for some reason I had though that one of the last big updates was more about updating Line6's back-end so that it would be easier to develop for, and also easier to develop for multiple products more easily. In my head, that meant "so that we wouldn't have to make different updates for HXFX, Helix, Stomp, etc. I know that's not exactly right, but it's whats in my head...

16. HeHasTheJazzHands

I can understand the new intensive Poly effects, but if the POD GO doesn't get the Diezel amps sims or the HM2, Horizon, or the acoustic sim... fuuuck. :( I didn't realize 3.0 would have been this soon, otherwise I wold have gotten the Stomp.

17. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

the go really isn’t on the same architecture though.
    Everything else gets unified updates that are only limited by hardware capabilities.

GunpointMetal likes this.
  18. spudmunkey

A good point. It's still a "pod" product, but just gets it's tones from the Helix product line...I had forgotten that.

19. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

oh wow, i didn't think 3.0 would drop for another month or two. Awesome we have some diezel sim's. I've always wanted to try one of those, but never had the chance.

precision drive too! awesome.

welp... there goes my night.

20. Boofchuck

Boofchuck SS.org Irregular

Oh I'm very excited you guys.

Mathemagician likes this.