Headstock options: maple faceplate matching body, or left natural to match the neck?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by jwade, Apr 27, 2017.

Matching maple faceplate or left showing the rosewood?

Poll closed May 2, 2017.
  1. Maple

17 vote(s)
    77.3%
  2. No faceplate

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  1. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

1:
    [​IMG]
    2:
    [​IMG]

The body in question is the seven string Iceman I've been slowly working on the past couple years.

[​IMG]

2. DistinguishedPapyrus

DistinguishedPapyrus SS.org Regular

When viewed from behind the headstock will look right. When viewed from the front, light body, light fretboard, dark headstock?... Maple.

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Stage IV GAS

are you staining the body darker? if so- no maple veneer. if not-- then use the maple.

4. Simic

Simic SS.org Regular

Maple for sure - a headstock matching the fretboard is the most aesthetically pleasing thing on a guitar imo..

5. Mr_Mar10

Mr_Mar10 *space for hire*

Maple

Nice work :shred:

6. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

either headstock matches the body or it matches the fretboard. Never liked the left as natural neck but being different to body/fretboard like a strat.

IMO, get a veneer of the same material as the fretboard

7. domsch1988

domsch1988 SS.org Regular

I like the contrast between a light fretboard and a dark headstock (or the other way round). I feel all maple front starts to look boring fast. You need that contrast to make the shapes pop.

8. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

The goal is a whitewash like Emil's PRS 7. I personally really dig the contrast between the rosewood and the Birdseye, but I don't have any rosewood accents on the body to compliment it. I'd thought about making a small rosewood pickguard, but I don't have any chunks left big enough and getting more East Indian rosewood is going to be tough now. Another thought was to try to make some rosewood pickup rings, but I don't know if that would provide much of a visual compliment to the hs.

The obvious choice would be to just use the maple faceplate and move forward, but goddamn does that EIR look good with the Birdseye.

Edit to include pic of Emil's PRS 7:
    [​IMG]

9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Stage IV GAS

yeah if you're going for a light body and fretboard then I'd say keep the rosewood for the headstock. Too much light colored wood on the front will kill any contrast. You should get some rosewood veneer or something for a pickguard, or wenge/mac ebony. They all have that dark wood with chocolaty streaks vibe so they'll play well with the headstock.

EDIT: actually after looking at emil's 7 string, the white washed maple could be cool depending on what hardware you're using. :shrug:

10. domsch1988

domsch1988 SS.org Regular

Maybe make some knobs out of the rosewood? Or some Pickup covers?

11. IGC

IGC SS.org Regular

Maple:yesway:

12. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

Knobs could be a good idea, I definitely have enough scraps large enough to try that. Pickup covers not so much.

I'm kind of thinking about doing the maple faceplate with a rosewood truss rod cover, the pickups I have (Dimarzio Blaze) are black, and I have a bunch of knobs floating around here...black, gold, white, gold with grey MOP buttons.

13. Pikka Bird

Pikka Bird Vaya Con Cornholio

I think rosewood knobs would provide exactly the right amount of cohesion to tie the body together with a rosewood faceplate, as long as they're something like speed knob sized..

14. Simic

Simic SS.org Regular

Rosewood knobs, truss rod cover and maybe bobbin toppers? That would look nice imo

15. Pikka Bird

Pikka Bird Vaya Con Cornholio

^Yeah, if you could make rosewood veneer bobbin tops that'd look rad in tandem with the knobs! And for the TRC I'd go for matching rosewood or none.

16. Humbuck

Humbuck Can't stop, won't stop

Maple

17. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

I have very limited tools at my disposal, and even if I had the proper tools to try to make bobbins out of rosewood, I have zero experience assembling/disassembling pickups....

I think knobs will be enough for now, and maybe I can figure out pickup rings

18. IGC

IGC SS.org Regular

You don't have to make the whole bobbin, just get a package of pre-cut (.02 in. thick) rosewood veneer from Woodcraft.com. or something. Trace the outline of your pickup bobbin out on the veneer, and it is so thin you might be able to cut it with scissors. Or score with an exacto knife and strait edge. File and sand the ends round to match your bobbin nicely.
    Make a drill jig to sandwich the veneer between for the mag holes. Masking tape over veneers and dulling the front edge of drill bit will help with tearout. Or if your really limited you can ruff the holes with an exacto then roll some course (150) sand paper around a toothpick to smooth the edges out.
    Double sided tape them on to see if you like the look.

19. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Nice looking work!

And I vote maple.

20. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

I totally had it built up in my head to be a significantly more involved process. Hah. I could definitely try this.