Heads: Peavey 6505 or Blackstar HT 100?

papazappa13

Reaction score
So I've been wanting to get a new amp for such a long time, I've finally decided to get a tube amp since I just adore the tone of Tube Amps, it'll be my first Tube Amp though, All I want is an amp with great distortion tones,
I want to be able to just plug in, adjust the settings and play
I play a lot of Progressive, Death, and Thrash Metal, with a hint of Blues and Jazz every so often.
My main thing about these heads is I don't want an entire pedalboard of different EQ pedals and Overdrives and whatnot just to get the Tone I want.
I'm looking for that whole Death Metal, thrash Metal tone, bands like Revocation, Black Dahlia Murder, Wretched, Cannibal Corpse, Havok etc. but I want the clean channel to be able to pull of that nice warm Jazz tone and possibly that crunchy Clapton Blues Tone.
Out of both of these amps, which would be able to put me in that situation of just Plug in and Play.
I wouldn't mind possibly getting a Tube Screamer to get an extra kick out of the Amp but for the most part, I want just a minimum of one pedal to pull of that nice metal tone with the easy Plug In and Play tone.

papazappa13

Reaction score
Another concern of mine is I'm afraid of getting a muddy tone from an 8 string
if helps at all I got an Rg8 with Dimarzio D-Activators.
I'm usually either using my Ibanez S with Dimarzio Evolutions
or my RG8
I don't mind having to adjust the settings but I'm just scared of plugging in my 8 string after getting either head and just getting a pure muddy, gross, flat tone.
I'm more concerned on either the Peavey 6505 or Blackstar HT-100 heads
but I'm very open to suggestions

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
6534+, JSX, or XXX II.

EDIT: To go into detail, these are the most versatile amps Peavey makes. The 6505 is a metal machine, but it's cleans are horrendous and the low-gain is okay.

The 6534+ is like a more versatile 6505, with a tighter high gain sound to boot. The JSX (AKA, the XXX II) has an absolutely gorgeous clean channel, can seem to do some rock/blues sounds, and can do metal no problem.

The HT can get ....ed. :rofl:

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind possibly getting a Tube Screamer to get an extra kick out of the Amp but for the most part, I want just a minimum of one pedal to pull of that nice metal tone with the easy Plug In and Play tone.

EVH 5150III :metal: I got by just fine at practices with only a tuner and a Decimator with mine. The only reason I don't still do that is because I've gotten some extra pedals to use as a second setup with it.

In addition to this, the EVH also has a far more usable clean channel than any of the Peavey models and the blue channel can cover Marshall-esque and crunch tones really well. The rhythm channel of the 6505 on the crunch mode is good for this too, but again you're left without a very good clean channel.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
I don't think the HT100 will give you the kinds of tones you're looking for. That said, it'll provide clarity on the 8 string, I think of them more for rock tones, not as much gain, and a British voice, which means mids. You'd get a very interesting tone with an 8 string actually, but not the mayhem you're after. The Peavey's clean isn't great, but it'll get you where you want to be on the distortion. One of those clean channels that is pretty dead unless you add effects IMO. The distortion will do everything you want though, those things have amazing distortion.

The EVH as others have said, or some kind of Mesa, pretty sure Cannibal use Mesas, triple recs. A fun problem to have for sure, and I think the cabinet will be very important too!

Insinfier

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
EVH 5150III :metal: I got by just fine at practices with only a tuner and a Decimator with mine. The only reason I don't still do that is because I've gotten some extra pedals to use as a second setup with it.

In addition to this, the EVH also has a far more usable clean channel than any of the Peavey models and the blue channel can cover Marshall-esque and crunch tones really well. The rhythm channel of the 6505 on the crunch mode is good for this too, but again you're left without a very good clean channel.

I believe the guy that created this thread also started it over on UG asking this same question.

I suggested the 5150 III.

Then I got a few people (that didn't even own one) saying it isn't good enough for this type of music. Have you ever wanted to hit someone? Like, really ....ing hard? :lol:

My suggestions: Any kind of Peavey 5150/6505 or a used Mesa Rectifier.

I want to try that 6534+. Too bad the name doesn't roll off the tongue easily...

fps

Kit
Reaction score
I'll further this by saying check out an Engl Savage I spent some time with one of those and it was utterly beastly.

protest

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I believe the guy that created this thread also started it over on UG asking this same question.

Then I got a few people (that didn't even own one) saying it isn't good enough for this type of music. Have you ever wanted to hit someone? Like, really ....ing hard? :lol:

I don't understand? You think a 5150 would be good for death metal? Has anyone ever used a 5150 for heavy music? I mean seriously, what are you gonna suggest next a boosted Recto?

C'mon man, I expect better.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I don't understand? You think a 5150 would be good for death metal? Has anyone ever used a 5150 for heavy music? I mean seriously, what are you gonna suggest next a boosted Recto?

C'mon man, I expect better.

I bet you also want me to believe that metal players use overdrives and PAF pickups :fawk: :blahblah: :lalala: C'mon, it's common knowledge that OD's are for blues and PAF pickups can only do clean through mild rock tones :noplease:

:lol:

On topic, a Rectifier would be good as well, but I definitely wouldn't suggest one if you aren't much of a tweaker and want to use the plug-n-play method. Those amps definitely need a boost and/or EQ to get them tight/aggressive enough for death metal. Most Rectifiers have pretty good cleans, though :yesway: just be weary of the parallel loops in everything pre-2010 since they don't like any kind of time-based effects like delay and reverb.

WestOfSeven

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
6505 makes a ht100 it's bitch.

6505+maxon od808+recto os 4x12+mxr 10 band=the recipe.

Really like the evh variants as well but they don't have that evil Grinding lower mids thing going on like the peavey.

papazappa13

Reaction score

My suggestions: Any kind of Peavey 5150/6505 or a used Mesa Rectifier.

I want to try that 6534+. Too bad the name doesn't roll off the tongue easily...

Nah it wasn't me lol
I got a UG account with the same name but I don't use it,
either way though, people doing that is super annoying, I'm glad you and a few other people actually gave legitimate answers, thanks.

s2k9k

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I agree with the 6505 recommendations. That head is a True Beast. :agreed:

snissors

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
EVH 5153. Better cleans and works indoors at lower volumes without sacrificing much sound quality.

Jacksonluvr636

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
All I can offer are my opinions and experience.

My band played with Devildriver recently.

They used Blackstar amps (not sure which model) and it sounded crushing. I would not be upset if I had to use one.

I had a 6505+ and sold it (was too damn fizzy) I bought a VHT pitbull and the VHT made the Peavey feel like a cracker jack toy.

I have never tried the EVH 5153 but i really want to.

The main question is what is your budget????

If your budget was $600 max I would say get the Peavey, they CAN do metal and with the right tubes and patience they can sound amazing.

If your budget is higher, maybe over $1k I would not consider a 6505 by any means. There is much better out there for what you are looking for if you do not mind buying a used amp.

Especially if your budget is $2k :)

But for $600-$800 the Peavey is a workhorse and many many many bands use them and there is a reason for that.

I would try to spend $600 because anything over $800 puts you in the VHT Pitbull/Deliverance range and in my opinion they will shit on Peavey all day long for brutal tones.

Last note. If your budget is in fact $1400-$1800 get a Bogner Uberschall Rev. 2 :)

MistaSnowman

Play It LOUD!!!
Reaction score
Looks like your budget is around $800-$1000 (judging by your choice of amp heads). If so, allow me to add this one for consideration...

If your budget was higher, then I'd recommend this one...

I'm a little biased toward Blackstar but if you're looking at a 'HT'...

Good luck in your amp search!!!

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
I've actually heard some good 7 string clips of the HT100. Was really gonna buy one until EVH gas got me and the payment plan made it too easy. The new HT Metal 100 has 6L6's and should be even easier to get metal tones out of one, but the old version can be had for around $600 or less. Throw kt77's in the power section later and I'm sure it would hang.

Blackstar Ht-100 Metal Demo. - YouTube

jerm

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Randall Diavlo RD45? 45 watts is good enough for home and band practice.