Headrush frfr 112 vs 5153 vs Drummer

FifthCircleSquared

Threadender
Reaction score
I've recently started jamming out with friends. Currently my beater (Blackstar HT-20) 20w tube amp is having a hard time keeping up with the drummer - It can do it but it is 100% maxed out volume wise and the feedback is barely controllable. Fresh tubes, just biased, still getting pretty saucy on me. I've replaced the OE speaker with a V30 and have a PPC-112 extension cabinet on it.

At home I have an AX-8 that I enjoy immensely and was thinking about getting a Headrush FRFR-112 for it to bring to jam, and hopefullt keep up with this drummer. Will the Headrush keep up? It'd be a nice light and portable rig.

On the other hand I've been pining for a newer 5153 with the concentric knobs. I KNOW it will keep up in a band context, but I don't really need fifty tube watts at home and lugging that and my vertical 2x12 back and forth to the jam space would be kind of a PITA.

Thoughts?

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Well how much wattage does the headrush have? That's your answer.

Leave a 212 or 412 cab and bring whatever you want.

Also watts are watts, regardless of what's making them :yesway:.

FifthCircleSquared

Threadender
Reaction score
The Headrush FRFR-112 is a 1000w RMS (Class D powered) speaker. It's like a PA cab but marketed for guitarists using modelers. I can't find much on google about people using them as their main source at rehearsals. I found one (comical) anecdotal post about a dude cranking his in his neighborhood and getting some attention four houses down, but that's about it.

I'm mostly looking for someone to say "Yes, I have one, I make my drummers ears bleed with it", lol, or "No, this is SSO, buy a 5153 or you need to go sign up on TGP". :)

rokket2005

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a Headrush FRFR112, but I only use it in my apartment because it sounds better to run my torpedo or axe III though than my monitors. Mine says 2000w on it, but even if it was 1000w class D I'd think it should work just fine. People have been using FRFR monitors for a few years in band practice situations with stuff like the QSC K12s and the like, so I'd say go for it. You might have to make some different scenes using the headrush if you're used to using the ax8 with headphones or something.

WarMachine

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yes, it will be plenty loud. I don't have one, but i do have an EV powered 1x12 PA monitor at 1,000 watts. EVZLX12-P if i remember right lol. It was keeping up just fine with a very loud drummer, and still had about 3/4 more volume that could've been added to it.

KailM

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You need a 5153 or you may as well take up knitting. :lol:

Mine sounds amazing at low volumes, and crushes at higher volumes too. It's not that heavy of a head, and it's smaller than a full-size one as well (I hate carrying my 6505 head). Get a foldable dolly like I have, and you can roll the whole rig around quite easily.

Elric

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’ve heard nothing but good things about the Headrush, FWIW. Although I have never played one. They seem like a bargain based on price.

littlebadboy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Don’t know how different the 8” is, but the HR112 is loud as fuck.
Agree. It rattled my small home studio! It was also too huge for me. I have to complaint with the 8"ers on my current HR118. Still as loud as heck, but smaller.

FifthCircleSquared

Threadender
Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone! Sounds like I could try out the Headrush for rehearsal and if it doesn't work out use it at home with my AX-8 and grab a 5153 down the line. I'll take a couple of days to think on it and if I go through with it I'll report back.

:cheers:

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Headrush units are effectively identical to a couple specific Alto units, which can sometimes he easier to find, and sometimes go on sale. Worth looking into. But you will want to make sure that you are looking at the exact right model numbers, because there are a few different ones.

littlebadboy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Headrush units are effectively identical to a couple specific Alto units, which can sometimes he easier to find, and sometimes go on sale. Worth looking into. But you will want to make sure that you are looking at the exact right model numbers, because there are a few different ones.
The Headrush FRFR and the Alto are made by the same company. Thus, they are very identical in looks. However, they're different as the Headrush is an FRFR system while the Alto has a preamp that may color your tone from your mfx/modeler.

vick1000

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The 108 or 112 will be just fine, unless your drummer uses a big PA and mics his kit, in which case you should run a line as well.

lewis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My drummer hits hard as fuck and reguarly gets through cymbals.
My two HEADRUSH 112s together even at half volume are louder than the drummer.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
I use a Headrush FRFR108 and it not only sounds better than my EV ZLX-12P but is much louder. I've still not had a situation where I need to crank it in a band rehearsal context or even small gig.

GunpointMetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I did a lot of A-B'ing with PA speakers earlier in the year for my modeler setup. IMO the Headrush is fine for medium-loud volumes, but getting it up to "heavy-handed-metal-drummer-practice" volumes it DID NOT like my 8 and 9 string guitars. Even HPFing my guitars at 100-150Hz it was still farting around in the low end and the tweeter was crackling a little bit. The new Mackie Thumps and the EV-ZLX powered speakers had a much better overall sound and moved more air at high volumes comparitively. I ended up with a pair of the EV-ZLX12Ps. I only got two because sometimes we play rooms with little PA support for instruments and I wanna spread the sound around the stage. One of them is more than enough for rehearsal.

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
Well how much wattage does the headrush have? That's your answer.

Leave a 212 or 412 cab and bring whatever you want.

Also watts are watts, regardless of what's making them :yesway:.
Yes, to a point.

I’m skeptical of the power ratings on the Headrush speakers and many other cheaper FRFR cabs. I’m pretty sure they like to advertise their short-term peak power ratings and bury the RMS ratings in the fine print in the manual.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Then check the manual.