Headless, semi-hollow 7-string guitar

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by imscaredofmoney, Jun 21, 2019.

1. imscaredofmoney

imscaredofmoney Member

Hi!

I play (almost) exclusively jazz and I wanted to get a guitar with some specific characteristics that I'm having a hard time finding.

Like I say in the title I'd like to get a headless, semi-hollow, 7-string jazz guitar. Budget is large, I could go up to 5-6k$ for the right thing.

I have contacted Simon Padalka with this project, but he says he might not be able to tackle on new projects now.

What are some good alternatives?

Thank you

Gmork likes this.
  2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire We need ERG Ironbirds

talk to mike sankey or tom waghorn. either would be down to do pretty much whatever you want

DudeManBrother likes this.
  3. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Sankey was the first name in my head too.

4. pott

pott SS.org Regular

Hai. I have both. Ask me anything.

DudeManBrother likes this.
  5. imscaredofmoney

imscaredofmoney Member

Thank you! I don't think I want anything by Tom Waghorn, mainly because he doesn't seem to have any headless models in his page and I wanted to get someone with experience designing headless models to help me through the process.

Sankey guitars are ranging from "hey this is a highly stylised guitar with clear playability design choices (e.g.: blue gene)" to "I had this high-grade lump of wood I made a guitar from(e.g: truffle)".

So I guess I'd start out by asking what does your Sankey look like, what was the designing and building process like, and how do you like your guitar? Also, anything else you feel like sharing I'd like to know.

Thanks
    imscaredofmoney

6. pott

pott SS.org Regular

Ah. So here's the thing... I have a Waghorn Corax (with headstock) and Tom and I are working on a headless design for a unique guitar, based on his Ion. His gallery is rarely up to date, but he HAS definitely done a couple of headless guitars. It's unfortunate that it's hard to see his output these days; he's VERY busy.

I don't have tons of (er... or good...) pictures of my Sankey yet; it got damaged in transit (lightly) so it spent a long time at the local repairer. I've not even played it yet even though I received it in April :( Mine is called Black Mamba, he's not documented it yet.

He and I skyped together; I showed him everything I thought about some headless I had (Strandberg, Kiesel Vader, Reiver Kompakt) and he and I went through what could be improved, what should be kept, etc... The end result is a guitar which fit 100% the position and fit I wanted!

DSC_9224 (Large).JPG DSC_9225 (Large).JPG DSC_9227 (Large).JPG DSC_9228 (Large).JPG

imscaredofmoney likes this.
  7. imscaredofmoney

imscaredofmoney Member

Was the build quality what you hoped for? How long was the process and how much did it cost?
    EDIT: Your guitar looks really nice

8. pott

pott SS.org Regular

Yeah it's an extremely nice instrument all-around; Mike knows what he's doing!
    I'd say it took around 14 months end-to-end. I won't comment on the price much; his website specifies his rough range. They do not come cheap! You do get a quality instrument for it. It's tough and not always very logical to compare an individual/hand-built instrument to either another, or to mass-produced guitar, but my Sankey is right up there in terms of general quality.

Keep in mind that the main advantage of going custom is NOT quality; hell, Squire churns-out thousands of perfectly well-built and playable guitars from tons of Asian factories for peanuts.
    The main advantage, and it does seem like it's the part you're into, is actually the fact that you can tailor the specs 100% to your own needs. Few builders truly allow you to do that. Mike Sankey, and indeed Tom Waghorn, I'm sure (he has pre-designed models, but he was willing to do our own thing for the headless), are two of those people!

imscaredofmoney likes this.
  9. imscaredofmoney

imscaredofmoney Member

And what was the communication like? Did you have a super specific idea of how to build your guitar or did Sankey/Waghorn help you fill in the blanks and advise you on what routes to take? (Thank you so much for your time and answers)

10. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Skervesen would be able to do at least a chambered version of their headless model. Expect about a year's wait.

Why exactly do you want a headless 7-string semi-hollowbody?

11. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Check out forshage guitars.

Under the hype radar for this site but he’s being doing headless and jazz guitars for a long time.

12. imscaredofmoney

imscaredofmoney Member

The semi-hollowbody because I play Jazz and like that sound. Headless because I have a Kiesel HH2 and really like the way the weight is distributed + the smaller size. 7-string because of a working theory I have on how to design scales across the neck. Basically I believe I can construct every mode 7 note scale using only one rotating pattern (maybe I'll make a post on this someday).

Thank you for the tip I'll check them out.

c7spheres likes this.
  13. imscaredofmoney

imscaredofmoney Member

I did check him out! The guitars seem very good quality, but the designs didn't speak to me. To be honest, I'm very enthused by Padalka's designs.

14. Thringer09

Thringer09 SS.org Regular

Solodini likes this.
  15. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

16. pott

pott SS.org Regular

I believe so yes!

17. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

[QUOTE="....I believe I can construct every mode 7 note scale using only one rotating pattern (maybe I'll make a post on this someday).

Thank you for the tip I'll check them out.[/QUOTE]

- I'm interested in this pattern if you ever figure it out. Please do let us know if you do.
    - For the guitar you may want to check out Pederson Guitars, formerly Abyss guitars. He built me an incredible 7 string electric with walnut top around 2005 and delivered all his promises at the price he promised too. A good guy all around and incredible craftsman. I'm not sure if he does headless or not, but it seems like he can do everything else. I think it's all custom work with him. Not sure where you're at but he's in Iowa.
    http://pedersoncustomguitars.com/