Headless guitar builders?

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd promptly cross Claas off that list if I were you.

Other than somewhat ugly designs, why is that? I mainly wanted to catalog what is out there for others as well.

KnightBrolaire

OnlyPointies™
Reaction score
I would recommend Kiesel in a heartbeat. I love my VM8. Fast turnaround, pretty well built guitars, reasonable prices as well (as long as you don't go spec crazy).
I've heard many good things about Skervesen as well.

*Black Water makes headless guitars, but good luck getting on the build list*

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I would recommend Kiesel in a heartbeat. I love my VM8. Fast turnaround, pretty well built guitars, reasonable prices as well (as long as you don't go spec crazy).

I already own a Kiesel AM7 so that's why I personally don't want to go that route. I would've probably gotten a VM7 if it had been out last year. Not because I have anything against Kiesel but just want to try something else as the final price with European builders is pretty close to the same when you tack on taxes and shipping.

Taikatatti

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Torille!

To the point, that Claas was a mess, i wouldn't even think about throwing my money at him.

i would also cross Overload too. I owned an Overload couple years ago and the string spacing was way off with the width of the fretboard. High E-string was falling off the fretboard everytime i tried fret a note. + Some wonky inlay work and faulty soldering on the pickups/electronics.

I believe that Padalka isn't taking any orders until next year. I would go with Skervesen, they don't have the best communication and their build times have gone up but they always deliver a quality guitar. I think the build time is around 8-9 months right now. I relpaced my Overload with Skervesen raptor 7 and could not be any happier with it. Friend of mine received his Tamandua 2 weeks ago and that thing is also perfect.

PM me if you want more information, cheers :)

thinkpad20

plays guitar??
Reaction score
Purely subjective but I prefer the aesthetics of Skervessen to Kiesel. Kiesel guitars to my eyes have less personality and have more of an assembly-line feel, or they're just kinda clunky, while Skervessen's look more like works of art to me (no offense to Kiesel owners or luthiers :)). That said they're probably the fastest custom guitar makers out there, and their owners generally seem happy, notwithstanding the recent negative publicity Kiesel has been getting on these forums. If I lived in Europe I would go for a Skervessen. Fortunately I was lucky enough to snag a spot on the Padalka queue -- lucky, assuming all goes well :)

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Torille!

To the point, that Claas was a mess, i wouldn't even think about throwing my money at him.

i would also cross Overload too. I owned an Overload couple years ago and the string spacing was way off with the width of the fretboard. High E-string was falling off the fretboard everytime i tried fret a note. + Some wonky inlay work and faulty soldering on the pickups/electronics.

I believe that Padalka isn't taking any orders until next year. I would go with Skervesen, they don't have the best communication and their build times have gone up but they always deliver a quality guitar. I think the build time is around 8-9 months right now. I relpaced my Overload with Skervesen raptor 7 and could not be any happier with it. Friend of mine received his Tamandua 2 weeks ago and that thing is also perfect.

PM me if you want more information, cheers :)

Thanks for the info. I was considering Overload because they should have a shorter build time but in the end after some photoshopping decided I didn't like their headless shape as much as Skervesen. My main plan is still to try to find a used Skervesen Shoggie 7 or 8 string but if that fails I'll probably order from them. Wanted to see if there were any other good options for that kind of guitar.

Perplexed-Perception

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
i think either strandberg or skervesen obvisouly you know i went with skervesen i think you are going to find it hard to find a used Skervy to honest.

perhaps you could send them a message and ask if they have anything in stock you might like otherwise i would start your order now. it takes quite a awhile sometimes they also have guitars for sale on there FB page just have to keep an eye out.

i didn't go with strand berg because i am just not so sure if there guitars are worth what they ask i mean 7000AUD for a 8 string custom :scratch: there was a shoggie owner on here who thought his shoggie 8 was better Quality then his sweden built strandberg 8 not sure why...

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The things I don't like about Strandberg is the lack of options (and the customs are very expensive) and the fan on them is a bit too subtle, for a 7 string I feel 27" scale is ideal on the lowest string.

I'm sure they are great instruments but I just don't fancy them.

runbirdman

Lackawanna County Volunteer Sheriff's Deputy
Reaction score
With the acquisition of OAF by Fast Guitars I would think they probably need to be added to the list. Never played an OAF but Tom was putting out some phenomenal looking instruments and I haven't heard a single bad thing about Fast Guitars.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
You might also try the Ichabod Crane model, over at Sleepy Hollow Guitars. It's easily the most authentic.

Ok, I just made that up. But don't you just totally want to start that business, and only do headless models?

And for my vote, for headless I have a XEN/OAF 10, a Padalka 7, and Skervy 7. You'd do well with any of those, but the Fast/OAF (and maybe XEN, if Eric is having Fast do the oem now) would probably be the quickest turn around.

KnightBrolaire

OnlyPointies™
Reaction score
You might also try the Ichabod Crane model, over at Sleepy Hollow Guitars. It's easily the most authentic.

Ok, I just made that up. But don't you just totally want to start that business, and only do headless models?

:yesway::yesway:

A-Branger

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ormsby also have the Goliath GTR model in 6-7-8 string multiscale.

The headless run should be arriving in 1-2 months https://www.ormsbyguitars.com/run-4---goliath.html

you just have to contact the dealers to buy one, or wait till they all ship to see if any spare was available

Im GASing for a 7 string, just waiting till my local dealer get them to try them out as Ive never seen/play a headless before

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Mayones have just announced they are bringing out a headless guitar, priced around the duvell and regius I think.

Is there really a big enough market for so many headless builders/companies? With Kiesel, Ormsby and Strandberg already having the market share.

KnightBrolaire

OnlyPointies™
Reaction score
Mayones have just announced they are bringing out a headless guitar, priced around the duvell and regius I think.

Is there really a big enough market for so many headless builders/companies? With Kiesel, Ormsby and Strandberg already having the market share.

There must be quite a bit of demand since Mayones is getting in on it.
I know Julius Jahn makes headless guitars as well.
Jillard guitars has a design for a headless guitar but I don't think they offer it as a build option yet.