HD500X.. EQ's in front or behind amp?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by WhoThenNow7, Apr 4, 2015.

1. WhoThenNow7

WhoThenNow7 SS.org Regular

Using a POD HD500X for example.. I never messed much with EQ's, but am wanting to learn to get the best possible tone. I don't really notice anything when I put some EQ's in front of the amp, and they sound kind of "bad" when behind it.

How are you guys setting up your rigs?

2. Darren James

Darren James SS.org Regular

I have a 6 band eq in the loop in my dual rec and on my kemper, I use a 6 band eq in the loop for the splawn nitro. Night and day as far sounds go, you need to play around the actual eq settings for a while then just see what you like best. Also, not all amps benefit from an eq, sometimes it just sounds worse.

3. Sephael

Sephael Divine Paradøx Contributor

EQ in front can be used to shape the tone or as a boost, in the loop they shape the tone. No place is down right best, it all depends on the tone you are after and everything else in your chain.

4. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Stunt Guitar

In my hd500x I run a red comp and a screamer in front of the amp. They have their own eq'ing properties and act as a gain stage. Behind the amp I run 2 eqs I couldn't name as I'm not at home. Sounds lovely.

5. WhoThenNow7

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll just figure out what sound I like best with them!

6. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

Another point to mention, at least in the real world (non digital but i recall the pod EQs behave the same), an EQ post amp will affect your overall volume more, while an EQ pre-amp will not affect volume much at all. That's why guys like to use an EQ in the loop of an amp if they need a solo boost. Up front, it won't give that volume boost needed for solos (unless it's a clean tone, then EQ placement matters a bit less)

7. RustInPeace

RustInPeace SS.org Regular

It takes a LOT of fiddling around with to find the best uses for eq's. I dont usually put an eq in front, but I have one patch with a treadplate pre/SLO OD pre that uses a eq in front to emphasize the low end. The new global eq is pretty damn awesome too.

For live use, like VBCheeseGrater said, an EQ in the loop with a flat response but a boost in drive can be really useful for a solo boost.

8. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass Deathly Chuuni

I do both. But with pedals since my amp has no distortion of its own.
    Signal is:
    Guitar > Eq1 > Dirt Box > Eq2 > Amp

Eq1 is boosty. It's set to kill muddy lows, give a high-mid/low-treble boost, maybe some extra mids-it depends on which dirt box I'm using. Eq2 has a narrow scoop, and sometimes boosted lows.

This can be done on an amp with a loop as well:
    Guitar > Eq1 > Amp In
    Loop Out > Eq2 > Loop In

You do A LOT of shaping and voicing with your dirt tone that you really can't with only one eq.

The two eq pedals in question are both Boss GE-7s.

9. WhoThenNow7

Thanks for drawing out how the set-ups are! I know it's all subjective and I'm going to have to find what sounds best for me, but it's a good place to start; and to see what sounds I like the most.