Have you ever turned your amp up to volume 10?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Alexa run my life, May 7, 2020.

Have you ever turned your amp up to volume 10?

1. Never have

28 vote(s)
    43.8%
  2. I have once or twice very briefly

27 vote(s)
    42.2%
  3. Quite often, Mine goes to 11!

9 vote(s)
    14.1%
  1. Alexa run my life

Alexa run my life SS.org Regular

Hi guys and gals! So without attenuating, who here has turned their amp up to 10, even if it was just for a minute or two? Either at home or playing live or practice. I want to know! I have never ever turned any amp up to 10. I'm scared to turn mine up past 4!

I should be more specific to include, 50w amps or higher. Im not talking about small practice amps with anything less than a 2x12. I mean full on 50 to 120 w tube power, half stacks!

Not only, "have you ever" but, how often? Are you stabding in the same room? Wearing ear protection? I wanna know!

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  2. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

I’ve done it plenty of times with most of my amps. Usually the volume stops increasing anywhere between 4-6. After that, it usually increases low end and saturation more than anything. Some amps sound great wide open; usually with the bass way down, and the gain quite low. Some amps sound pretty bad no matter how you adjust the preamp to compensate.

I don’t do it often. I usually do it when I buy an amp, and occasionally when I replace the tubes. I do stand in the room; and am probably 50/50 on ear plugs.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  3. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

I do it regularly for shows and practice. Always standing in the same room. As far as ear protection goes it depends on the amp. Some amps have a certain frequency in the mids that feels especially painful even at normal volumes, where others that i've had can get louder but have a "smoother" sound and don't bother me as much.

4. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Yes, and then I ran it on 8 for the next 4 years :lol:. The amp was the (audible groan from regulars) 1983 jcm800 2203.

5. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

I dimed my 2203 with an attenuator recently. It was one mushy, feedbacking tone that if I slightly adjust the attenuator, I won’t have ears anymore.

6. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

Yes, an old Butcher once through a shitty Crate cab. Sounded terrible because the speakers sounded terrible.

I briefly maxed out my 5150 through a dummy load and IR. With a real cab or IR it sounds much better anywhere between 2.5 and 3.5 on the dial (not o’clock) and the sweet spot is between just barely below or above 3 depending on the cab. I’ve had it up to around 6 through a real cab, sounds better lower.

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.
  7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire sso's unofficial pickup hoarder

I've dimed every big (50w+) amp I own through a 2x12 at some point for shits and giggles. I spend probably 99% of my time running them through my torpedo reload (since I can crank em at 3 am and not bug anyone). Anytime my amps get cranked with the 2x12 I use ear protection since HEARING LOSS IS NOT REVERSIBLE.

gabito, Gmork and bracky like this.
  8. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Probably the loudest I've run one of my amps was my Twin Jet with the master around noon at a band practice. Even with hearing protection, it was blisteringly loud. No idea how some guitarists can stand doing that on a regular basis :eek:

Gmork likes this.
  9. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Hearing protection and/or tinnitus.

gabito, Gmork and TheWarAgainstTime like this.
  10. Alexa run my life

Alexa run my life SS.org Regular

Yngwie has been playing with everything dimed for his whole career. Recently he said he had his hearing checked out and it was fine.

11. youngthrasher9

youngthrasher9 SS.org Regular

I have cranked almost every amp I’ve owned once or twice. Most the 100-120 watters were pretty bone shattering but nothing comes even remotely close to my buddies Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum. (180 or 300 watts depending on how you run it)

I have never experienced volume like that before. It is very hard to describe but I wouldn’t say that it was pleasant. On 2 it buried my cranked Randall RD45 and it wasn’t even close.

12. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire sso's unofficial pickup hoarder

e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.png

gabito, Backsnack, beavis2306 and 7 others like this.
  13. Manurack

Manurack Nunavut Inuk

Back when I was 16 yrs old jamming in my bedroom, my older brother came in and wanted to hear the amp LOUD. So he turned the amp up all the way for ten minutes...

I thought my Peavey Bandit 112 amp was going to catch on fire because of how loud it was and how hot the amp became. The dust that settled inside it started to burn and smoke came out! I shut the amp off because I was scared the amp was going to break. Next day, it was totally fine haha

SpaceDock likes this.
  14. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

I have a 180 watt head. That’s a hard no. The very thought terrifies me. I don’t have murderous feelings towards my ears.

15. Boofchuck

Boofchuck SS.org Irregular

I once lived next to a sorority house that was really loud early in the morning every day. Only time I ever cranked my Peavey 3120 all the way was to fucking blast them one morning as soon as they started. It totally worked, no more noise from them the rest of the time I lived there.

I'm getting ready to do the same to my neighbors' obnoxious dog. It's nice to be the loudest thing.

16. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

Years ago i used to practice with a friend at a rugby club's hall. One week i turned my Marshall 6100 100W up to full for about 2 minutes, and played it while standing outdoors through 2 sets of closed doors. I guess the best way of describing how loud it was even then was that we weren't allowed back the next week :lol: It sounded good like that for playing single notes/leads, but sounded like ass for chords. But then i never did get on with that amp properly, or Marshalls in general.

Charlie Foxtrot 3rd likes this.
  17. Manurack

Manurack Nunavut Inuk

I totally feel you on loud, obnoxious neighbors! I live in an apartment building and the neighbors that moved in above me acted like the owned the building. Boom boom boom all over my ceiling.

I have a wicked Bose surround sound system with a 400 watt Yamaha amp. The subwoofer alone is huge. I asked them to quiet down when they were loud one day, then 5 minutes later they were loud again...

Cranked up my sound system, put on Master of Puppets and played along with my guitar and Peavey Bandit amp and it was loud as fuck - they've been quiet since. Just thought I'd share my story about the sweet, sweet victory over dipshit neighbors.

gabito, Edika, Roadsterjosh and 4 others like this.
  18. Boofchuck

Boofchuck SS.org Irregular

Ha!

•fistbump•

Manurack likes this.
  19. Charlie Foxtrot 3rd

Charlie Foxtrot 3rd Oakie Doaky

Only once, through my Blackstar HT stage 100, 4x12 cab. I was in the same room and yes I had ear muffs on. Twas in reply to my neighbour across the street, every now and then he gets his mates over for a jam, I like the music they play and some of them seem like good players, I just wanted to join in. In the beginning it was call and answer type licks (volume 4) you know back and forth having a laugh. Then I said fuck it, ear muffs on, dimed it. I was the loudest mofo in the suburb for 30 seconds.

gabito and Edika like this.
  20. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular

When I was in college I had some neighbors with a loud system. They'd have it loud, so I'd turn my amp up a little louder, so they'd turn it up some more, ect. After a while I just rolled my hand over all the knobs. A dimed 6505 212 will win against a loud stereo. :eddie:

gabito, Edika, Roadsterjosh and 3 others like this.