Have you ever thought about suicide?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Thin_Ice_77, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Thin_Ice_77

Thin_Ice_77 You'll never make it

I don't necessarily mean thought about doing it, but have you ever really thought deeply about it? Why people do it, how if affects people...

Just thought it'd be an interesting topic to discuss.

2. OzzyC

OzzyC :ubersquint:

I had a former friend who had severe bouts with suicide, and I was the one she turned to for many years, so yeah, I spent a lot of time thinking over what people think to accomplish by doing it... Never quite figured it out, but I had my own time that I started to consider it as well. I'm over all of that, though.

3. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide SS.org Regular

I've sort of been on all sides of it, but at the end of the day I'm too curious as to what life has in store for me to give up now.

4. Desi

Desi You can't handle me!

I suffer from manic depression, but I've been on meds for a year now so I'm improving, I still struggle but I'm hanging there. Before the meds, it was a struggle living life without thoughts suicide and self destructive behavior. My first and last suicide attempt was back in 05'. I'm still trying to get my life together, but thanks to many things like therapy, friends and music, I've been able to hold on to life for a little longer.

5. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide SS.org Regular

^ Good to hear things are getting better :)

6. metallatem

metallatem SS.org Regular

When I was a senior in high school, one of my friends killed himself. I will never forget seeing his family at the funeral, it was awful. It's hard to imagine that kind of pain.

7. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

I kind of contemplated it once about 6 years ago, and I've definitely had a few moments of "if i jerk the wheel this way...".

I understand why people do it, and I'm very glad that I didn't have the balls to even attempt. I know people who's families have been dramatically changed due to suicide - I'm dating one of them.

Nothing good comes of it.

8. PeteyG

PeteyG Big Bear

There's a film called The Bridge about The Golden Gate Bridge which I've seen a few times, it's a pretty good insight to some of the people it focuses on, has some videos of some of the jumpers, so don't watch it if you can't stomach that kind of thing.

It's just lead me to a point where I really can't ever imagine being so unhappy in life, or so uncomfortable being alive to really think of it as an option.

Edit: I realise that may have come off almost as if it was a snuff film, it's just a documentary about the golden gate bridge being the No.1 suicide spot in the world, and looking into the possible reasons as to why, basically a couple of camera crews filmed the bridge for a few months, and caught some jumpers (it's not like they didn't do anything to help, if they saw someone they thought was going to jump they called the appropriate authorities), and then interviewed some of the families of people who had jumped about them, and talked about possible reasons why.

9. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

I thought about it a lot when I was younger, dealing with a lot of crap with no one to really talk to about it all. I chickened out the few times I decided to actually attempt, but eventually got over it. Stuff still bothers me but I have better ways of dealing with it. To be honest I'm not really against suicide. If someone really wants to I don't think they should be stopped, not that they could be. There are things far worse than death and if one is truely tired of living and suffering they should be able to end it. It's one of those things you don't really see the other side of until you're there.

10. Brendan G

Brendan G What is this then?

I've considered it all too many times, never even attempted it though. The questions that are in the original post seem like fairly easy questions to me (emphasis on the me, they may be deeper than they appear) that people do it because they are unable to cope with life (for example horrible circumstances or mental illness) and that it affects people just as much (maybe a bit more) as any other death.

11. S-O

S-O t(-.-t)

I think about it a lot, but not in a way that I want to do it out of misery. I see death as a release, I can see how suicide is one of the few things you can control, thus being the thing someone who has lost or has no control of everything would turn to. I guess I am jelous and at the same time pity them, because while I see death has a release, I also see life, which is full of suffering, as something that is beautiful and is also ful of love.

I have had some people in my family kill themselves, but I was not close enough to them to be affected like other family members. I don't know how I would react if one of my friends killed themselves, especially if it was out of sorrow. I know I would feel like I had let him or her down, that I could not take away or replace his or her suffering with love.

So really, I think about it, but from the outside, looking in, I have yet to experience the suffering it takes to reach that point.

Also, while I can joke about it (anything worth getting serious about, is worth laughing at.) I take it seriously. I know a girl, while she was never my friend, she was friends with some of my friends (Fuck buddies, I think very low of this girl, she was evil personifed IMHO), one night she sent a bunch of texts to my friend, let's call him Steve, now Steve liked this girl, she shall be known as Skank-Hoe. These texts were her suicide good byes and such, how her life was worthless and all the other teen age cliches, so we all had to go over and stop her, even though most of us knew this was her being the attention whore she is, but Steve was our friend and we were there for him so he could be there for her. As we thought, she was bluffing and wanted the attention, Skank-Hoe is the archetype of attention whores. All those life time movies with bitches like this are the cinematic version of Skank-Hoe. We were all pissed and left, no punchline to this story, just a brief moment in time in which a bitch fucked with other people.

TL/DR? Go back and read. :squint:

12. auxioluck

auxioluck Metal Teddy Bear

I have had a .357 Smith and Wesson in my mouth with the hammer cocked. Never pulled the trigger. This was also about 7-8 years ago. I'm doing just fine now.

I understand why people do it, but I can't see the future, so I want to stick around and see how I'm SUPPOSED to die, you know?

As the late George Carlin said, "That's the most profound thing you can do with your life....END IT!!"

13. Harry

Harry Doom man of Doom. Contributor

Have I ever thought of suicide?
    I have, and I still do several times a week.
    Quite frankly, I'm pretty fucked up, and have been for years, and really wish I had started to seek psychological help years ago, fortunately I will soon though.
    It was never really that bad, until about the end of 2007, when I started to feel that sensation of literally feeling numb, and it's a terrifying, horrible experience.
    Laugh all you want at the 'I cut myself to feel alive' expression, but when you feel that numb, cutting yourself is often the first thing you resort to doing, because it kick starts your body into being able to feel again sooner. Yeah, sounds crazy, but that's why I've done it before.
    I made a stupid decision last month and took LSD for the first time, and I had a hell of a frightening trip.
    At one point in the night, it was like all these negative emotions, years worth of emotions were rolling into one, I was numb-er than I had ever felt in my life, and I wanted to just jump off a balcony for about 3 hours on end.
    That acid trip made me realize the possibility of how bad it might get in the non drug induced state of mind if I don't get help, so I'm gonna make an appointment soon.
    Don't think I'll be taking acid ever again either:ugh:

14. Luan

Luan SS.org Regular

To use things like LSD you have to be in a good mood, otherwise it will fuck you up heavily.

15. kung_fu

kung_fu Vulcan Lute God

Whenever i look too far into the future, i can get a little scared sometimes. I've never been one of those dudes with a specific "5 year plan", i might know what i'd like to do but am always a little sketchy as far as the details/steps it takes to accomplish them. I am often plagued by questions about "what if ____ happens/doesn't happen?" The stress and pressure from day to day existence can sometimes seem a little heavy and the thought of suicide might arise.

I've probably never thought about it for any more than two minutes consecutively though, at most. I've also never given it enough serious thought where i might find it appropriate to seek outside council about it. I've never known anybody who actually comitted suicide, but i've seen enough news storys to know that it is a bummer for everybody. Probably the main reason i haven't considered it is because i am kind of on the fence as far as the afterlife goes. I know there is a damn good chance that this is the only chance at life i had so i had better make the most of it. Funnily enough i sometimes find myself chickening out of pursuing certain things (career in music, asking out certain girls, etc.) which i may as well try since i only get one shot, but thats another topic. Also, ever since i saw Mnty Python's "the Meaning of Life" I've been wanting to die by being chased off of a cliff by topless women on roller skates:).

16. Harry

I didn't do my research beforehand, because I didn't know I was gonna be taking it that night.
    I was feeling pretty anxious before hand, caused by the fact it was my first time using anything stronger than weed (which itself I rarely use), so that obviously didn't help.
    I did feel good for a while on the trip, but I spent most of it feeling shit, anxious and scared:(

17. budda

Drop the "soon" and make it "tomorrow". Yes I'm serious.

And i'd like to let you know that even though i dont know you I'm sorry to hear that you have felt that low before.

18. Piro

Piro SS.org Regular

I do every few weeks now. But like not about how bad life is and stuff like that. I always get tempted to because I get fixated on the idea of what comes after, you know? Like when I get the idea in my head I really have to work to get it back out. And it's always when I'm driving, I don't know why?

19. Harry

The soonest appointment I can get is next week, which I'll go for, otherwise I would go tomorrow if I could.
    Thanks for the support bro.

20. budda

because when you're driving down the highway, all you have to do is veer off the road (preferably not into oncoming traffic).

No problems dude. I don't know if I'll choose social service worker as a career yet or not, but I'm going through school for it for a reason all the same lol.

But yeah, I would have made an appt sooner if possible :)