Have you, as a musician, matured?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by AK DRAGON, Jan 7, 2012.

1. AK DRAGON

AK DRAGON Guitar Popcicle

Just what the title asks. have you musically matured?

I'm not asking if you've improved your guitar technique by knowing X,Y,Z and can play light years better than when you started out. I am asking about your ability, as a musician, to appreciate other genres of music.

I, for one, can say I have matured quite a bit over the (20+) years.

When I started out, all I wanted to do was play Hard Rock and Heavy Metal music. Not just to annoy my parents as a rebellious teenager but that is all I wanted to play and listen to. Yes, I was a very narrow minded musician. All the teachers that my parents paid to teach me were classically trained and would only teach classical music. I had no interest in learning it but I did as it gave me the foundation of playing guitar (It was a very frustrating time). As a teenager in HS I was given BB King's Blues Master book for Christmas. I wasn't impressed but unbeknownst to me planted a seed.

Today, I still have an interest in Heavy Metal and Hard Rock. Though, it's a smaller part of my musical tastes and outlook. One could say that my taste in music has shifted immensely. I prefer to listen to Jazz, Blues, and Movie Scores as well as artists that have a more melodic feel.

2. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Not really, I've kind of been into most stuff from the start. So long as it's interesting its all good!

3. C2Aye

C2Aye has the groove.

Considering that I started at the age of 13, I sure hope I have :lol:

I've moved on from blues/rock to progressive metal, so I guess you could kind of call that maturing :) I've always had an appreciation on other styles of music though, I mean I've listened to classical, Baroque and Romantic music since I was young and I've always liked funk rock. I'd say I was always pretty appreciative of good music in general.

4. BucketheadRules

BucketheadRules Fuzz pedal hoarder

If it has cool guitar in it, I'll listen to it (and possibly learn it)... hence why I play stuff ranging from Dire Straits to 80s hair metal, to Decapitated and Dream Theater (with difficulty :D)

I used to be more narrow-minded, back when I was 12 or 13 and wanted to be just like Dimebag and Alexi, but my tastes have expanded massively in both directions - I listen to a lot of jazz, blues and classical now, as well as much, much heavier metal.

tl;dr: Yes. :lol:

Stealthdjentstic likes this.
  5. Duelbart

Duelbart SS.org Regular

Over the last 4 years I went from indie rock to hard rock/metal to metal in general, then to brutal death stuff and finally to mainly prog + jazz. And I listen to Chopin on occasion. I suppose that is maturation?

Then again, I'd say that the fact of even being on this forum implies some form of diversity in taste or having at least a somewhat matured taste.

6. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    Having read a few topics here where people have talked about their life experiences, it's clear that different people might define "maturity" in different ways.

Having been playing more decades than most of you have been alive, I'm curious not just in whether people have matured, but how long they've been playing.

BTW... yes, my playing has matured.

7. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Nobody else here is 58 though, I think Tech is like late 30's-mid 40's though. :lol:

8. Dayn

Dayn silly person

Fuck yes.

Erm, I mean, yes, I have. In everything. I'm only young myself, but I've already learned from and been humbled by my experience. Two things I know: one, I am currently at my best and the past is embarrassing.

...And two, what I am now will be left for dust and will be equally embarrassing in the future. I don't think the growth ever stops. Not until I meet a bizarre gardening accident, at least. There's just so much to learn.

9. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

most definitely. thanks to my father i had a diverse musical upbringing ranging from robin trower to smooth jazz, but when i heard heavy metal it's all i ever listened to. daath, decapitated death, slipknot, Train of Thought era dream theater ect. those were my constant rotation of music with an occasional hard rock act thrown in. but one day i heard Cynic.. it blew my mind. so out of curiosity i found out about Aeon Spoke, and heard the song Emanuel... it was beautiful (roughly around the same time i was really into Monoral's song Kiri).. it took some time but this broke down my need to be extreme and brootalz all the time, until one day i found myself in love with the song Soul Meets Body by Death Cab For Cutie... i used to make fun of this song.. but now, i get it

other than pop music i now have a btter ear for more abstract pieces and minimalist pieces, as well as electronic music.

been playing 8 years BTW per explorers request

EDIT: dammit!!! now i've heard the song Somebody That I Used to Know by Goyte like 5 times thanks to another thread lol

10. Chickenhawk

Chickenhawk A Bad Idea Contributor

Doubtful.

I honestly couldn't tell you. I started out as a punk teenager (13), playing whatever was hip during the nu-metal craze. Moved to heavier stuff (mainly metalcore, since it was getting its first big push), then on to more difficult stuff like Lamb of God.

Stayed in that phase till 2008-2009, when I started getting really heavy into progressive stuff (Opeth, mainly, with some Dream Theater thrown in), and decided to broaden my horizons and started doing gigs with some local country, blues, pop-punk and hardcore bands. Can't say I really enjoyed any of the music; my heart wasn't in it. I just learned a few chords, and stood in for missing members from time to time.

Then I got into techy progressive stuff, but that only lasted a year or two, honestly. Then I put my guitar down for almost a year. Started selling off all my gear, decided I was done. Found a good deal on a bass guitar, bought it with the intent to flip for a profit. Never did. Got a wild hair up my ass one day and walked into the local music shop and fell in love with an Ibanez ART100 (cheap, but fun to beat on). Picked it up for dirt cheap. Barely played it. Music was more enjoyable to listen to than to play.

Then, just over a week ago I picked my guitar up, bought Revalver, and hooked my monitors up. Figured (with some motivation from my better half) I'd just make some noise and see what happens. Found my inspiration again, and am now recording some sludge/doom/stoner metal, and groove/biker/drunk stuff (Burner, Clutch, BLS, etc).

Am I a more mature musician now than I was in 2009/2010? No. I played varied genres, and took pride in quality songwriting and technique.

Am I a more mature musician now than I was 12/13 years ago? No. I'm only playing for fun, now. Too much gain, just barely enough mids to be heard, nothing challenging about the shit I'm writing. I'm simply playing for the sheer joy of it.

So, at the same time, yes. I do believe I HAVE matured as a musician. I've finally found my niche. I found pure enjoyment from my instruments, and it's motivated me to broaden my horizons as a vocalist (I've been a death metal vocalist for a few years), and explore territory I'm not comfortable with because I believe it'll be an enjoyable experience.

11. ittoa666

ittoa666 /)'3'(\

My playing hasn't matured as much as my ear has. I've been trying to develop the listening aspect of things so I can decipher and appreciate different types of music.

12. Floppystrings

Floppystrings SS.org Regular

I have been playing guitar for 13? years.

I stopped for five years and switched to drums.

Now I am playing guitar again and I am playing COMPLETELY different. I don't think about riffs now really, it is more about setting a mood or feeling than playing technical riffs. I used to even sweep pick, now my playing is so unique I don't play barre chords, I don't play fast solos anymore. I like to play "music".

It was the best thing I ever did as a musician. I was so burned out.

13. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Hell yes, mainly in the last 2 years (been playing for coming on 7). I can barely relate musically to my 'metalhead' best friends from my old band anymore.

14. Ninjahat

Ninjahat SS.org Regular

MHMMMM, though I am still Immature as hell. I wouldn't say I have been close minded at any time, and just today I listened to earth wind & fire, Gojira, Katalepsy, cattle decapitation, minus the bear, and I listen to alot of deprecation guild and DEP, and Botch lately. In terms of bands I have been in, 1 grindy/deathy band as a vocalist, had 1 practice with a metalcore band as vocals and occasional guitar (but I found them to be quite close minded, so I politely left), and Now am in a (mostly) Instrumental Math rock/Fuzzpop band with My Buddy on Bass and Me on Guitar.

15. Ninjahat

Ninjahat SS.org Regular

So, maybe?

16. fps

fps Kit

Slightly OT
    Pretty much no-one here is a musician, though there are a lot of artists trying to create what they hear in their heads. Just something I thought I'd pick up on because the thing that's matured about how I play relates to my songwriting and note choices rather than my tastes in music, which have always been diverse but commonly rooted in there being guitars involved.
    I think this ties into what ittoa666 was saying

17. anthonyferguson

anthonyferguson SS.org Regular

How do you define musician? Just a polite question, I'm interested!

18. Mr. Big Noodles

Mr. Big Noodles Theory God

19. Varcolac

Varcolac Frets? What frets?

I've been playing music in one form or another for 20 years now. I don't know what maturity is, but my tastes have broadened, my playing has improved, and my understanding of music has expanded.

I still have the capacity to be incredibly immature about '80s rock though. Don't judge me.

20. ImBCRichBitch

ImBCRichBitch SS.org Regular

Considering i started out playing punk, i would hope to say i have. I went from knowing chords and scales but dumping them for fast power/barre chords to now very seldomly playing them and only playing chords. I think ive matured in writing as well, from the middle finger in your face style to now songs that actually have meanings to em.