Have there been any Mesa amp changes from Gibson?

oneblackened

Tube Amp Dork
Reaction score
But has the Schumacher quality changed since then? :scratch:
My understanding is Mesa switched to Magnetic Components (Classictone) because Schumacher stopped doing USA production. I don't know if that's the case any more or if it's even entirely accurate. I'm somewhat surprised Mesa went with Schumacher and not Heyboer or Hammond after Magnetic Components went out though.

Either way, Magnetic Components going out was a huge loss - a lot of the BAD stuff was made by them including the new SLO transformers.

ExMachina

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
- l

- At least once a month I tell them I want to see a Mark 5 ,but as a 4 channel preamp with Midi selectable channels AND channel modes. I want it, and I want it yesterday.
Sounds like you want an updated triaxis?

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Sounds like you want an updated triaxis?
Almost but still with all analog pots. I want their clean, Fat and tweed mode, Mark IV, Modern, Mark 1 and IIC+ all switchable on the fly. Mainly just for putting the best channel and mode with whatever song part. It'd be less complex I'm sure cause they bsically already made it. - Basically take away power amp, add midi control to channels and modes and add another channel and that'd be it. I don't wanna see any digital screens or IR loaders or any of that. It's just add to the cost and be more of a hassel if something goes wrong and that tech will advance anyways also.

Chebax

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Almost but still with all analog pots. I want their clean, Fat and tweed mode, Mark IV, Modern, Mark 1 and IIC+ all switchable on the fly. Mainly just for putting the best channel and mode with whatever song part. It'd be less complex I'm sure cause they bsically already made it. - Basically take away power amp, add midi control to channels and modes and add another channel and that'd be it. I don't wanna see any digital screens or IR loaders or any of that. It's just add to the cost and be more of a hassel if something goes wrong and that tech will advance anyways also.
I agree, a Triaxis with analog pots would be amazing. I’m a big Triaxis fan (been playing one for over 15 years) and the thing that still kills me about it is the lack of GEQ. A 2U Triaxis with pots (maybe even digital ones, like a Kemper) and a couple of real analog GEQs would be the dream.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I agree, a Triaxis with analog pots would be amazing. I’m a big Triaxis fan (been playing one for over 15 years) and the thing that still kills me about it is the lack of GEQ. A 2U Triaxis with pots (maybe even digital ones, like a Kemper) and a couple of real analog GEQs would be the dream.
It sounds nice but I'd rather stay away from digital pots. When I had a Triaxis I was always wanting in between settings,

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It sounds nice but I'd rather stay away from digital pots. When I had a Triaxis I was always wanting in between settings,
That's not an issue with digital pots but particular to the way the Triaxis works. Digital control of analog gear is more complicated than it seems though as the values of those pots is pretty integral in how the tone stack works.

Hughes & Kettner has a good overview on how they do it: http://blog.hughes-and-kettner.com/smart-rotary-controls-giving-128-real-tube-channels-one-amp/

The other option is motorized pots like what is used in the Hook Wizard. That keeps things all analog but the motors represent the position stored in a preset.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
That's not an issue with digital pots but particular to the way the Triaxis works. Digital control of analog gear is more complicated than it seems though as the values of those pots is pretty integral in how the tone stack works.

Hughes & Kettner has a good overview on how they do it: http://blog.hughes-and-kettner.com/smart-rotary-controls-giving-128-real-tube-channels-one-amp/

The other option is motorized pots like what is used in the Hook Wizard. That keeps things all analog but the motors represent the position stored in a preset.
This stuff is awesome! Wasn't there an Engl or Soldano that did motorize pots too?

Reading that article seems like they should licence out that tech to everyone so it can be used and get cheaper. Literally evenryone wants it and doesn't know it yet. They need to really push it. I know about these amps and never realized it was that tech. This is what I've been wanting from amps. It's like my SoundSculpture Volcano using specific resistor values so it's the same every time recalled, analog but with digital control and without artfacts or loss of sound or tone. It's better than normal because of this and perfect. since 256 values is enough for me, unlike the Triaxis' twenty, I think it was. nice!

Last edited:

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
There is hardly any interest in analog rack equipment nowadays. They just won't do it. The market is shifting towards lightweight and portable solutions, not bulky and heavy ones. I am a rack preamp lover too but that's just the hard truth.

The only reason Synergy is succeeding at it is because of the "baseball card collecting" nature of the business they run.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
There is hardly any interest in analog rack equipment nowadays. They just won't do it. The market is shifting towards lightweight and portable solutions, not bulky and heavy ones. I am a rack preamp lover too but that's just the hard truth.

The only reason Synergy is succeeding at it is because of the "baseball card collecting" nature of the business they run.
I can't handle the truth! Pluggin my ears now. I still believe. Axe Fx still rack so everyone has excuse now! buy more racks. haha.

Last edited:

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score

But they also put their most recent amp out in rack form?

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
But they also put their most recent amp out in rack form?

How many rack tube preamps or poweramps have you seen released by major manufacturers lately?

Amps in rack form are probably more of a convenience when touring. Or for saving space (same way for example Victory sells rack wings for their lunchbox heads).

Last edited:

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
How many rack tube preamps or poweramps have you seen released by major manufacturers lately?

Amps in rack form are probably more of a convenience when touring. Or for saving space (same way for example Victory sells rack wings for their lunchbox heads).
Even those guys touring racks tend to have just regular amp heads stashed into custom rack enclosures. Or separate amp heads and then a rack for effects units and their backups.

Did not know Victory sold rack wings for their lunchbox amps. They look a bit weird but it's cool it's an option.

Fryette also sells a rack adapter for their Power Station stuff.

Speaking of which, the Victory lunchboxes without tolex fit well on top of the Fryette PS while leaving the vents in the back open. I've had my VC35 head on top of my PS-100 for a while without issue.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
10 years from now, people would be putting more premium over pre pandemic Jp2c or post pandemic Jp2c by virtue of transformers alone. And one would sell more. JP2C-A with the old transformer (that Petrucci used on a lot of albums, demos, and live performances) or the JP2C-B with the Schumachers which YouTube Mesa geeks tout as better sounding and closer to the 2c+ sound.

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
Just wondering if there have been any changes to the Mesa amps ever since Gibson bought them out.

Would love to buy a new recto, but am concerned that the quality isn’t the same as it was with Mesa.
yes. the transformers are different. they sourced from another company because the pre gibson tranformer maker went under. i was told this by mesa boogie tech when i called about a new recto i bought a few weeks ago.