Have there been any Mesa amp changes from Gibson?

sevenfoxes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just wondering if there have been any changes to the Mesa amps ever since Gibson bought them out.

Would love to buy a new recto, but am concerned that the quality isn’t the same as it was with Mesa.

cmpxchg

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
supposedly the transformers changed in the Badlander at least, but the consensus seems to be that was due to supply chain issues and not some cost cutting thing. (I would be shocked if Gibson touched anything about Mesa anytime soon.)

sevenfoxes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
supposedly the transformers changed in the Badlander at least, but the consensus seems to be that was due to supply chain issues and not some cost cutting thing. (I would be shocked if Gibson touched anything about Mesa anytime soon.)
That’s what i was kinda thinking as well. Seems like Mesa would have have a warehouse full of back up parts and supplies for their amps, but i haven’t been able to confirm that Gibson is using 100% original parts either. 🤷‍♂️

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
- I've talked to Mesa a few times since that and they all say nothing is different. I hope nothing changes, I don't even want "a Gibson company' label or anything like that.

- If Gibson's smart they'll leave them alone other than throwing money at them if they want some. To bad Gibson's not smart. jk.. : (

- I do think Mesa needs to refocus a bit and maybe reconsider a new line of rack preamps and power amps, or at least some reissues or something. I hope something is secretly in the works. There must be secret gear.

- At least once a month I tell them I want to see a Mark 5 ,but as a 4 channel preamp with Midi selectable channels AND channel modes. I want it, and I want it yesterday.

@sevenfoxes You still use/like your Roadster now that it's been awhile? I've been looking at those forever but decided to try a different route instead for now.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It wasn't just the Badlander apparently, it was a good majority of their lineup. The company they got transformers from shut down (Classictone) so they had to source another company.
That’s what i was kinda thinking as well. Seems like Mesa would have have a warehouse full of back up parts and supplies for their amps,
ClassicTone (their old transformer supplier) closed shop in Nov 2020 and their supply lasted them until mid-late 2021 when they apparently swapped to Schumacher transformers.

sevenfoxes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It wasn't just the Badlander apparently, it was a good majority of their lineup. The company they got transformers from shut down (Classictone) so they had to source another company.

ClassicTone (their old transformer supplier) closed shop in Nov 2020 and their supply lasted them until mid-late 2021 when they apparently swapped to Schumacher transformers.
That’s interesting. Source?

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

sevenfoxes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
- I've talked to Mesa a few times since that and they all say nothing is different. I hope nothing changes, I don't even want "a Gibson company' label or anything like that.

- If Gibson's smart they'll leave them alone other than throwing money at them if they want some. To bad Gibson's not smart. jk.. : (

- I do think Mesa needs to refocus a bit and maybe reconsider a new line of rack preamps and power amps, or at least some reissues or something. I hope something is secretly in the works. There must be secret gear.

- At least once a month I tell them I want to see a Mark 5 ,but as a 4 channel preamp with Midi selectable channels AND channel modes. I want it, and I want it yesterday.

@sevenfoxes You still use/like your Roadster now that it's been awhile? I've been looking at those forever but decided to try a different route instead for now.
I loved my Roadster, but sold it for another amp.

That was only a couple years ago when they only sold for around 1K. Good times.

sevenfoxes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks! Will have to give it a read.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
The new transformers seem to be as good quality according to the article. Mesa and John Petrucci approved so they should be good.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The new transformers seem to be as good quality according to the article. Mesa and John Petrucci approved so they should be good.

They went from Classic Tone back to Schumachers which was what they used before Classic Tone. So for Rectos it's kind of hilarious seeing people trying to tout the Classic Tones.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
They went from Classic Tone back to Schumachers which was what they used before Classic Tone. So for Rectos it's kind of hilarious seeing people trying to tout the Classic Tones.

Don't the early Rectos also have Schumachers as well? We've come full circle.

Are those the one's George Lynch swore by in his Recto. Sounds like it might be. Big and beefy.