Have a 5 string bass and play a 7 string in Drop A. How should I tune the bass?

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Venza, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Venza

Venza SS.org Regular

I'm borrowing my friends 5 string and I am playing in Drop A on a seven string guitar. What should I tune the 5 string to? Drop A as well? Also would I have to change string gauges? Sorry if this is a stupid question. I just want to learn.

2. elkinz

elkinz Pun Enthusiast

Drop A is nice and easy. Makes it easy to transfer the riffs to bass too!

What scale is your bass, and what gauge?

String tension is a super relative thing so try drop tuning to A and see if its comfortable for you :)

3. elkinz

elkinz Pun Enthusiast

also there is no stupid questions, only stupid answers! :cool:

We are all on a quest for musical knowledge on this forum, so ask away :agreed:

4. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

the easiest for you would be to do the drop A on the bass.

you can tune it to whatever you feel like, As long as you have the same lower note in your bass as the one you play in your guitar. Keeping both the "same" it jsut makes it easier for you to transcribe stuff

normal drop A should be fine to play without changing the strings. Its up to you, you have the bass in your hands. Tune it, play it, feel it. If you like it, leave it like that. If you feel the string is too "floppy", then change the string

5. Venza

Venza SS.org Regular

Awesome!! Got it! The bass is a 34" scale and I'm not too sure about the gauge but I think it will be okay. Thanks for your reply! I appreciate it.

6. Venza

Venza SS.org Regular

Yeah that makes sense. I was actually think that. The strings are fine for now. They're not too floppy, so I don't think I'll need to go higher. Thanks for your reply!

7. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd has left the building

Tune em the same, man... If it's just you doing it, make it easy on yourself.

When I play my 7s tuned in A standard I play my bass in A standard. When I'm in B I play one of my basses that's in B standard. When I'm on an 8 in Drop E, I play a 7 string bass in drop E. It makes life happy :lol:

8. elkinz

elkinz Pun Enthusiast

I used to play in drop A and Ab on my 34inch Cort B5 and it was killer :) Experimentation will get you the results you are after!

A lot of the best sounds come from not knowing how to get them and just making your own way!

9. iron blast

iron blast Northern Winds

For playing in drop A on a 34" scale bass I reccomend using a 145 -155 gauge low string to keep better tension I use a 145 in b. for a reference it's the same tension as my e string. Daddario make a balance tension set and a tapper wound 145 string that are amazing I buy thru bassstringsonline.com

10. The Omega Cluster

The Omega Cluster n00b

Drop A if you're sane.

11. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Member

I agree with all the tips above. I have one of my 5s at drop A with a .135 and the tension is great. The other 5 is drop G with a .145 strung through the body that also allows for proper tension. The guitar players in my band use 7 strings tuned all over the place, and the easiest way to go is to mostly match those. Good luck man!