Has drumming in metal peaked long ago?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Floppystrings, Apr 26, 2021.

1. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

The drumming is great, but damn, black metal looks ridiculous in broad daylight.

Singer just looks like count Chocula.

2. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

If your measuring stick is how fast a drummer can play double bass, then you're obviously going to be disappointed because any faster than the fastest metal of the last 40 years stops being perceived as rhythm and becomes pitch.

Also, there aren't enough double drummer metal bands.

3. Floppystrings

Floppystrings SS.org Regular

Atilla Csihar is a performer and has done all sorts of things like this before, here he is as the Hunchback of Nortre Dame, listen to the laugh though, the the very end how does he still have air in his lungs? He switch to inhales kind of seamlessly or something:

Ordo Ad Chao probably has the largest vocal range of any album ever recorded. He can whistle like Mariah Carey, and inhale like Waking the Cadaver, lower actually, it's pretty interesting.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

:rofl:

5. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

[​IMG]

6. CerealKiller

CerealKiller SS.org Regular

Henker was a good example of this, with the quad bass drum thing. The ending of the song Mental Corruption sounds ridiculous.

GunpointMetal and StevenC like this.
  7. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

Leprous has done a few songs with double drummers or at least a 4 armed drum part, and they'll play with two drummers live from time to time

absolutely wild considering Baard Kolstad is one of the best drummers on earth and they still go "nah we need more"

Merrekof and StevenC like this.
  8. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Yeah, I was thinking Leprous had done it, but wasn't sure if it was a one off or something.

9. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

Within my Fence off Congregation is a four armed part - I ripped the live stream recording of that one. Pretty cool except they had the backing track which Baard recorded earlier mixed too hot so it clips and distorts which is too bad. Sky is Red off Pitfalls has a four armed part too, you need an extra couple arms for a part early on. Behemoth has some 4 arm stuff too but they mostly just use it for the huuuuuge tom sound

sounds so killer guys really should do it more often

StevenC likes this.
  10. Blasphemer

Blasphemer Bird Law expert

Peak Melivns

Not super related to the thread, but I worked with this band once doing monitors. During soundcheck, their FOH engineer called for the kick, and this dude played doubles that fast for like 3 minutes straight (I have no idea why it took him so long to get the kick happy at FOH, it was all triggered). At some point in the middle, he just looks over at me and just did this without stopping:
    [​IMG]

We both just started laughing. Also, he kept an inhaler on a trap box next to his kit, which I hadn't seen before. I can definitely understand why he'd need it, though.

11. jahosy

jahosy SS.org Regular

The way Darkside plays the drumkit sounded very musical. Apparently he started as a xylophone player which might explain he's unique cymbal work. It seems like he use the bass / snare drum more as a metronome.

12. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

As long as Lille Gruber and Jamie St. Merat are alive, heeeeelll no

13. Floppystrings

I remember a discussion on a drum forum where people were trying to find out how the start of this song is played correctly. It was interesting because some people were so sure they had it figured out, and then a video of Brandon Thomas playing it live was posted, and the mystery just got deeper because it wasn't as simple as some had assumed. I think some people agreed he was opening and closing the hi-hat while playing double bass, but it's hard to hear.

The drumming on this Ripping Corpse album reminds me a lot of Human, even some of the riffs and transitions, the double bass speed at times is unreal for 1991:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    gunch likes this.
  14. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Wow I can't believe I get to be the first one all the way in page 4!

George Kollias from Nile!!!!

15. BMFan30

BMFan30 SS.org Regular

I was going to post Mgla drummer but that's been covered extensively already.

I love all the video examples people are posting, genuinely heard some very impressive drumming here. Keep those coming along, didn't think to see drummers innovating this way. Especially this:

16. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

The late Bill Bumgardner (Lord Mantis, Indian) is another fave

17. Floppystrings

Short history of Trym Torson:

1994:

Two days ago:

KailM likes this.
  18. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

I'm glad that this tread- along with the other one about bass- has turned into a feature of good modern performances in response to the original thesis. We guitarists have done a fine job of hoovering-up every second of a song's runtime and the breadth of the frequency spectrum for ourselves- it's good thing to appreciate what other instrumentalists do, oftentimes having to accommodate the guitars taking-over.

VGK17 likes this.
  19. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

I wouldn't say that it's peaked. People have thought that with every generation of music only for something years later to blow it out of the water. There's a lot of hate in this thread so far from people saying "speed isn't everything", and they're certainly right, but when someone has that sort of control paired with technique it's definitely a sight to behold. I think there's much more to be shown in the world of drumming though.

Lord Marco here has been around for a bit and a lot of people know how talented he is.

I thought dude's like this were starting to become kind of few and far between and that drumming had reached it's peak like you mentioned, and then a few years ago I found Viscera Infest. To say this dude plays his ass off is the understatement of the century, and on a pretty small kit at that. I don't even play drums and the man inspires the hell out of me. Just raw, bombastic energy. It reminds me of early Cryptopsy drumming in a way with how frantic it sounds and I absolutely adore it. This man is truly a testament to the age old saying that "the gear doesn't make the player"

I can't recommend him enough and I implore each of you reading this post to really sit down and watch this man play.

Scott Swoope and gunch like this.
  20. Floppystrings

He is/was good, that's why it confuses the hell out of me that he posts sped-up videos now on youtube like this one. I lost a lot of respect when I saw he was doing that, slow it down to 75% to see what a real cymbal being hit looks like.

This how I will remember him: