Has drumming in metal peaked long ago?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Floppystrings, Apr 26, 2021.

1. zappatton2

zappatton2 SS.org Regular

I guess it's all subjective. I mean, there's crazy fast, there's crazy creative (with weird timings and swings and such), it still evolves as far as I can see, but you can never predict when the mainstream drumming goes sideways.

Personally, I always liked Lombardo for his own manic style back in the day. He never sounded like a machine, but like a man possessed, with fills that would practically fall off the edge of the kit, sorta like Bill Ward before him.

Also really loved Biohazard back in the day; Urban Discipline was one of the few albums that had me sold on the drumming, solid, but with some groove, very not-tech.

As far as peaking goes, I think it's just a thing that evolves. I remember talking to a friend decades ago, speculating how anything could get heavier than Hell Awaits, but at this point, I don't think it's so much "how much heavier" as how will the sound evolve into something else altogether different, but still punishingly brootlz!

gabito, VGK17 and c7spheres like this.
  2. Floppystrings

Floppystrings SS.org Regular

nOnE oF the dUDes iN OP cOulD gRavITy bLAst aT aLl

cwhitey2 likes this.
  3. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

I'm nut sure if I'm getting old and don't care for younger drummers or maybe the metal drum scene has had its peak after all?
    I find a lot of drummers trying to be as fast as possible and it's cool, but not for long though. Francesco Paoli from Fleshgod Apocalypse is fast and aggressive, but kind of boring after a while.
    But then there are these guys:
    This is one of the most savage drum videos imo. In the last part of the song he does this tingelingeling on his ride bell and small chimes while keeping the backbeat on his snare without dropping a beat.

And the this guy, he keeps the whole song interesting. He could make Seven Nation Army an interesting song if he tried!

My favourite drummers were al active in the 90's though :lol:

Karg, Masoo2 and Floppystrings like this.
  4. iamaom

iamaom SS.org Regular

gunch, Merrekof and Floppystrings like this.
  5. RoRo56

RoRo56 SS.org Regular

Funny one, he's an amazing drummer, but he doesn't actually play on the records. Acle programs everything.

6. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

You sure about that? Swear I've heard otherwise, yeah some sample augmentation here and there but mostly all recorded

If not then dang can Acle make programmed drums sound fantastic

7. RoRo56

RoRo56 SS.org Regular

Yeah it's been mentioned in interviews/podcasts. They recorded live drums for the first album One but they've been programmed ever since.

Masoo2 likes this.
  8. Floppystrings

You would be surprised at just how many bands use "fake" drums on their albums.

From Jim Morris of Morrisound Studios:

[…] some drummers would come into the studio and be unable to perform their own songs. They were playing like half a song, and then they couldn’t play anymore. They were playing just beyond their level of competence. So, in order to get the record done in time, you couldn’t send the guy back again and say, ‘Do it again, do it again.’ We were using samplers to do the kick and snare replacements […] The trick was to get all the drums to ‘speak.’ The blast beat especially was a challenge, mostly because they were often not played correctly. It was very difficult, and 90% of the drummers were not doing it correctly. I remember suggesting that a click track be used […] if I could record these drums to a click, then all of the drum replacements would be so much easier. […] But it really couldn’t be done; I mean, the guys just were not sophisticated enough in their art form yet to get to the point where they could play to a click track. That took years.

“[…] we were all doing it on a 2” tape at the time and there was no computer editing, so I developed a technique using a MIDI-sequencer locked to the time code and a calculator, and we would sit there and calculate the distance in milliseconds between snare drum hits, ask the drummer how many kick drum hits are supposed to be between them, then figure out in milliseconds how far the kick drums were apart, and then we had to type them in. This was not visual, it was all in DOS – we were doing this before Windows. We had a guy working for us named Brian Benscoter – we called him ‘Super Brian,’ because he is a genius level IQ-type guy […] we would get Brian to sit there with the calculator, and he would sit there for the rest of the night just calculating kick drums and putting them in, because the drummers just could not play them. It was not necessarily anyone’s fault; it was more that they just were not really prepared.”

Click at your own risk, spoilers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morrisound_Recording

Poul Winther Knudsen, Mwoit and Perge like this.
  9. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I dunno, man, Bands like Slaughter to Prevail and Henker have some nearly-impossible-sounding drum parts, yet they still perform them live (with triggers I'm sure). Did drumming peak a long time ago? Depends what you mean by that. If you define the gold standard of drumming as late 1990's/early 2000's death metal, then of course. It's like asking if there will ever be a colour more blue than blue at that point. But there are plenty of unexplored techniques still in development in 2021, so the universal answer is no.

VGK17 and Merrekof like this.
  10. Floppystrings

If there are I would love to hear them. Not trying to be confrontational at all btw, I actual do care about new things. I made this thread for that reason really, there is more of an incentive for posters so "prove someone wrong" than just show new things because someone asked.

I was listening to a lot of late 90's, early 2000's metal lately and it occurred to me that I haven't really heard anything new that those drummers couldn't play back then. 20+ years of constant evolution met with almost the same amount of time of stagnation for an instrument seems pretty unusual. Meshuggah started a whole genre based on the drumming style, is something like that even possible again?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    bostjan likes this.
  11. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

No.

=)
    And my beard is completely white =D

12. InfinityCollision

InfinityCollision SS.org Regular

SSO has aged enough that this type of thread is a weekly occurrence in this subforum lately. :coffee:

couverdure and akinari like this.
  13. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Slaughter to Prevail

Morgan from Henker demonstrating the technique of quadruple blasting

BMFan30, gabito and Floppystrings like this.
  14. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

oh my god dude go away

this sample replacement shit has been clobbered to death. your post isn't even relevant to the guy you were replying to

15. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Honestly, the blast was the least interesting part of that video.

16. sirbuh

sirbuh SS.org Regular

Just passing by to be the annoying guy...no pete commando?

Floppystrings likes this.
  17. Floppystrings

The first video showed a lot of different techniques, not really my thing though. It reminds me of when EVH started tapping and it became a "trick" that was later implemented more tastefully when it became more mainstream, some bands would tap once in a song and it was a big deal so they made it an intro, or an ending and then other guitarists used it more casually as time went on.

The second video, I just can't agree with using quad pedals when doubles sound almost as fast and use a technique and not a tool.

I do like that you are posting drum videos though.

One thing both videos remind me of is Hellhammer on Ordo Ad Chao. On the album there is no EQ on the drums all, and it was recorded in "two evenings" it kind of sounds like it sometimes too. That album is also unique because there are no real song structures, no chorus, or repeating riffs.

Another band that did the no song structure thing in an interesting way was Portal, I have no clue how they double tracked guitars so chaotic, their drummer gets a lot of hate but I don't mind his playing at all, super clean fast drumming would kind of mess up the atmosphere:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  18. Dayn

Dayn SS.org Regular

I can't wait to make people's heads explode with anger when I get cybernetic MIDI-controlled legs to play real drums. Is it real drumming or not?

jbaxter and Floppystrings like this.
  19. Floppystrings

Not annoying at all, I think Terrorizer's World Downfall was pretty groundbreaking. I was always confused as to why people have said that Pete used double bass for the first time with Morbid Angel, and then I see that the Terrorizor album was recorded at Morrisound... Obviously he got the chops later but if you listen to the double bass parts on that album they do sound a bit odd, especially on this song:

I'm sure everyone kind of knows about the Morbid Angel song, "Opening of the Gates" and how the double bass was like 280bpm, a lot faster than Pete ever played, it just so happens one of the producers was Jim Morris, aka Morrisound Studios. If Metallica could never play "Dyers Eve" which on top of the hard double bass parts, has some pretty interesting three handed things going on too lol, I wouldn't be surprised if it was altered:

aesthyrian and sirbuh like this.
  20. Floppystrings

If the Elon Musk chip is installed, and the legs are moving on their own, I'm afraid it falls under cyborg enhancement. Ruled as cheating by the court. :lol:

People say the first blastbeat was done in a Jazz solo in the 70's, but they forget about the poor guy that got electricuted during a drum solo at some point and went full 1950's George Kollias for 15 seconds. :lol:

CM_X5 likes this.