Has drumming in metal peaked long ago?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Floppystrings, Apr 26, 2021.

1. Floppystrings

Floppystrings SS.org Regular

Long long ago...there was a time, where the drummer actually played the song, and you knew it wasn't edited because were there little mistakes...small things, almost impossible to notice at times, but it proved they really did play the song.

Tony live in 2003 w/Nile:

Trym from Emperor playing a song from 1997, using technique that would confuse even the most basic drum teacher, is his hand really between his knees?:

I'm sure some of you have heard of John Longstreth, there is also a lost video of John playing live with Dying Fetus, the song was "Intentional Manslaughter" and he played it exactly 25% faster. With the older material John played heels down, and didn't use double strokes when playing double bass, this is from 2002:

Hellhammer from Mayhem has proven, even recently that he can play acoustically live just like he did back on 1994's De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, but some don't know he in a way went for a fastest double bass record with the song "Anti" in Ordo Ad Chao where you could hear him struggle (I'm pretty sure he using doubles, I think...), and then he went on to even played it live:

Tim Yeung on Decrepit Birth's ...And Time Begins from 2003:

Where did these kinds of drummers go? People are still playing the same type of music but it doesn't seem like any of the drummers are trying to push any limits. I guess it shows my age, maybe you would have to have more than a few grey beard hairs to understand. Hannes Grossman isn't that 24 year old kid playing on that Necrophagist album in 2004 anymore, we are both almost 40.

works0fheart and KailM like this.
  2. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

Playing fast for the sake of playing fast gets old quick. Those dudes got older and found other things that float their boats. Music isn't a competition to play the fastest beats and riffs, but young people often think it is - and we were all young once.

3. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

The moment you believe something has peaked, your perception probably wont be swayed easily :2c:.

4. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

It’s the same as asking if guitar playing has peaked. It might become more difficult to do something new or something that still turns heads, but if it feels good and sounds good and is creative it will never be wrong or bad.

In essence, musical virtuosity always plays the second violin to great songwriting. Look at Lars Ulrich. Not the greatest drummer, but man, he did play a big part in many classic metal songs, which probably influenced a lot drummers as well.

Millul, jbaxter and gabito like this.
  5. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

I wouldn't say any instrument has peaked. Have people peaked in terms of speed? Maybe... until the next Yngwie Malmsteen of drumming comes along out of nowhere.

jbaxter likes this.
  6. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

just wait. artificial limbs are getting better and better by the year. I bet in 20 years we'll see a drummer that can play 1000bpm without breaking a sweat lol

7. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

8. MFB

MFB Banned

"Coming this summer, 2041 - Alita: Battle Drummer"

9. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

10. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

disagree with the concept of this thread 1,000%

just the other day me and some buddies were talking about how you can't swing a stick anymore without hitting 5 drummers that, 20 years ago, would be the greatest metal drummer in the world

All this stuff that was insane and only a tiny handful of guys could do in the late 90s early 2000s are just standard drumming techniques now. The science has come a really long way. imo drumming is the one part of metal that's continued to improve. It's everything else that's been kinda stuck in neutral

Scott Swoope, Millul, MYGFH and 10 others like this.
  11. MFB

MFB Banned

...but doesn't that prove the point?

If everyone can now play these types of beats, and would be considered the best in the world if you dropped them back in time to that scene, then where's the next level? Speed has clearly been achieved, there's no question of that, but you can't hit everything all at once or else you're just getting a wall of noise at you, so how does drumming improve then?

Rotatous likes this.
  12. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

more sauce. Mario Duplantier, Matt Garstka, Danny Carey know how drumming improves. Not with sheer speed or technicality but tasty augmentation of what the rest of the band is doing. Even guys who were former jackhammer type players have slowed down and focused on groove and elaboration more than just speed.. like Inferno from Behemoth.

and even as far as pure speed goes, guys are still getting faster. None of the dudes in OP could gravity blast at all. There's guys out there now who can do it at 200bpm with both hands with kicks to match. Turns out, though, that not very many people wanna listen to that kinda stuff

AxeHappy, TedEH and Xaeldaren like this.
  13. X1X

X1X SS.org Regular

I like the guy in Tesseract

TheBloodstained likes this.
  14. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

The dude in MGLA does some really tasteful cymbal shit.

BMFan30, cwhitey2, efiltsohg and 5 others like this.
  15. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

mainstream but i really dig the drums on the last slipknot album. unsainted and orphan i felt like you really noticed how freaking good they are.

16. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

If you most enjoy a particular style of music, that style will peak at some point, and later decline. If you mistake your preferences for what is objectively best, you may conclude that music has peaked and declined.

Good stuff that you posted - but I would not say that's the only way to be good at drums. My tastes are pretty broad.

17. beerandbeards

beerandbeards Majestic Shoveler

No mention of Derek Roddy. I think that dude loves drums and got bored of metal. Jazz probably was more enjoyable to play.

also, there’s drum machines and pro tools and some stopped trying to evolve on their instrument.

Buddy Rich still would slay today:

18. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

- I agree, I think another thing some people over look is that these old legends paved the way for everyone else and made it easy for them to learn and figure out stuff. Like they don't realize this stuff has been over a century in the making.
    - Most people would never have innovated or come up with stuff on their own like all the old greats, which also learned from their idols. It's why all these little kids can play circles around Hendrix nowadays, physically. It' don't mean they got mojo though. Ok, maybe not Hendrix.

- If people like Ginger baker, Neil Peart, Bozzio and Portnoy didn't exist drummers simply would not be at the levels they're at now. I can't tell you how many drummers I've talked to and when I ask them if they like Neil Peart they're like "he was ok." Yeah right buddy, I know something you don't and I don't even play drums. I ask them about Lars too, who I know get's a lot of flak but I mostly ask that to mess with them. Because it's fun to mess with drummers. I like Lars honestly his drums fit the songs great, imo.

- Van Halen didn't invent tapping but he innovated it into the main stream. Same thing with drummers. If Van halen or Hendrix didn't exist, guitar players simply wouldn't be where they're at now. I firmly believe it. These people took it to a level almost nobody ever has and they did it 40-60 years ago.
    - Even people that match the skill and can play all this stuff still usually aren't creating their own original innovative works on that level. They're usually just doing monkey-see monkey-do.

- If I played guitar a thousand years I would be happy if I wrote one album on par with these dudes. People that actually write their own songs I think appreciate more the effort and talent that goes into it.

- My favorite drummer is probably Danny Carey. He's who'd I put in my dream band. He can do anything, but does only what the song needs. He can go insane or subtle and it all sounds and feels like exactly what should be happening. Danny Carey for president! : )

aesthyrian and sakeido like this.
  19. Floppystrings

Floppystrings SS.org Regular

I posted John Longstreth. The guy that played gravity blast more than anyone ever has. You have to be trolling...

Same album, same year, just listen to the first 4 seconds.

works0fheart likes this.
  20. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

he blasts for like 2 bars = "he gravity blasts more than anyone ever has" :lol: :lol: :lol:

The confusing part is how I don't like this extreme extreme metal stuff at all, but somehow I know that there are plenty of guys who have kept pushing the envelope and you don't