Has anyone here traveled from the US to Wacken?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by wannabguitarist, Dec 17, 2015.

1. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

Trying to organize a trip with some friends to go to Wacken 2016. Anything to keep in mind? Logistics? Hotel costs? Things drunk Americans do that piss off Germans?

2. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

I haven't gone to Wacken but I've been to a EBM/SynthPop festival called Zillo before, as well as having travelled to Germany for vacation over a dozen times.

1. Learn how to say, "Excuse me, I don't speak German, do you speak English?" - in Deutsch it's "Entschuldigen Sie bitte, ich spreche kein Deutsch, sprechen Sie Englisch?" You can look it up and hear audio online. It's most polite and you will get the best responses from people (anywhere in Europe) if you at least make the effort to explain you don't speak the language and ask if they speak English.

2. Figure out your entire travel plans beforehand to get to the festival and back. You might take a Eurostar train for example to the general town but then need to take a bus to the location, so learn all this so you don't get lost or confused.

3. Have a great time, Germany is awesome!!!!!!

Rev.

3. WolleK

WolleK SS.org Regular

Things not to do in germany: Don´t mention the war ;-)
    (also don´t mention if you are doing any service in military), otherwise have fun.

4. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

What war?

[See what I did there?]

5. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

Just practice some basic German, and have a good time. Basically what Rev said. Know how to order beer! I'm going too, can't wait.

6. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Wacken is awesome!!! I've been twice. Transport to and from the grounds is really good so you can fly into one of the bigger cities and make your way down to Wacken easy.

Germans have very good English so I didn't have any trouble there.

7. WolleK

WolleK SS.org Regular

Are you flying via Frankfurt or Amsterdam/ Shipol?
    Can not recommend to London because it will be more difficult to get from there to germany.

Train tickets can be booked here (also international bookings possible, )
    https://www.bahn.com/

We have also a bus system but i cannot recommend for long distance (europe long distance... not USA long distance), it will be also cheaper with the train if you book early.
    I think you will travel till Hamburg with train and from there i would try to get a bus / a ride from there to Wacken (which is at the a** of germany).

Another idea is travel from airport to Hamburg and to rent a transporter there (sixt, europecare), so you have a car for the rest of the way and also a sleeping facilitie for the festival (also its not that expensive)... but we have gearshift.

As already metioned: If you get lost or have any question, just ask a german, most of them can speak english (and dont took the german grim face to serious, most of germans are friendly)

8. WolleK

WolleK SS.org Regular

9. coreysMonster

coreysMonster So long, Germany!

I would suggest flying to Hamburg and either renting a car for the time you'll be in Wacken (it's around 45 minutes by car from Hamburg) or taking a train to Itzehoe and either going by bus or regional trains from there.

I've never been to Wacken myself but I grew up in Kiel and know from experience that getting around the smaller villages can be a gigantic pain in the butt if you rely on public transportation, not to mention that the transporation around Wacken is going to be PACKED before and after the festival.

Renting a car would be by far the most comfortable way to get around there, but of course in Germany it's by no means a necessity. You can get anywhere just by train and bus.

EDIT: Also! You might want to get there a couple of days earlier to sleep off the jetlag a bit. Travelling from the US to Germany is quite a trip, wouldn't want to spend your days at Wacken as zombies, falling asleep after the first beer.

10. wannabguitarist

This was my plan actually! I've found some deals on round trips to Hamburg and the group is talking about getting there on the 1st and staying through the weekend to enjoy Germany and get into drinking shape :lol:

All super wishful thinking at moment since no one can commit right now and we have no idea how much tickets will be in a few months. Expecting to spend about $2.5k per person for everything. Would be easier to buy myself a nice Jackson or something :lol:

11. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Yeah, but the experience of the whole thing, trust me it's worth it!!! Well.... so long as the trip doesn't go awfully wrong (missed or cancelled flight, losing your money or luggage, getting lost) :lol:. But man, before the American dollar had gotten so week and the Euro so strong, and also before the Euro, my wife and I travelled all over Europe at least twice a year sometimes three times a year. Those memories, wouldn't trade them for anything :) Since then we've been doing Hawaii and Saint Martin :)

Rev.

12. Blytheryn

Do you have tickets already? AFAIK they sold out the same weekend they were released, you're probably going to have to look into resale.

13. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

I was there in 2006. I am half German. I took a bunch of friends from Spain with me. We just landed in Hamburg and got a car to the village.

It was a smooth ride and helped go a little further for provisions when we didn´t want to deal with the massive lines that form around the small supermarkets there and didn´t want to eat more of the festival food. It´s also a painteresque area to do some random sightseeing.

Now... I cant remember if we went to Hellfest or Wacken in 2008. But I could swear there was also a train that goes there. I was on a train for sure. But I can´t remember if it was then.

Another option is to post an ad on forums and see who is picking up people to go there and share gas and car rental costs. You could also get on one of those planned tours that radios and other sponsors do if you are so inclined.

It´s a really nice atmosphere there and the festival has kept growing so you will love it. Have fun. Germans are fun types to hang out with.

Also check the website. They used to have really helpful info about buses, accommodation and so on.

14. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

Hahahah. No tickets means paying extra almost for certain. Wacken has become really coveted. This is definitely a trip to plan well in advance. It also would´t hurt to stay longer than the festival and check out Hamburg, which is actually a pretty city (IMO anyway).

Blytheryn is right. Maybe Buying that Jackson is a better idea this year. :lol:

15. wannabguitarist

I've a little research and they're sitting around $220-280 on ebay. Shouldn't be too hard to secure a few :yesway:

16. Blytheryn

Well that's good! As long as you can ascertain that they are genuine and stuff. I saw guys from Finland and Sweden get on a massive tour bus type trip that picks up people and drives them all to wacken while you bring all your beer with you etc. that's another way to look at it if you don't manage to get tickets via EBay. I'm getting stoked right now thinking about it. Don't forget your patch vest! :)

17. mgh

mgh Betwixt and Between

there are tons of big festivals in europe so even if you don't make Wacken, try one of the others - Hellfest in France or Graspop in Belgium or Brutal Assault in the Czech republic, for example. If you time it right and do Germany you could prob see two festivals and smaller gigs in a couple of weeks...have a look at this list for what happened there in 2015! Metal Festivals in Germany

18. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

There is an hourly train from Hamburg to Itzehoe which is about 20 km from the festival site. And by the time, that train should be packed with people going to Wacken. Basically, every train going in the general direction of Hamburg is full of people going to Wacken the week before :D So if you decide to go by train (and from Itzehoe I think there are busses for the festival), you probably will find a bunch of people, probably drunk, that look like they're going to a metal festival. They should be helpful (if they understand you. Or you understand them. For some reason, most Germans seem the think that their english improves with every beer).

19. Chiba666

Chiba666 SS.org Regular

Used to fly into Hanover (Cheap flights), and drive up. Stopping at Fallingbostel on the way (A7) for supplies then on the way to the Holy Wacken Land