Has anyone ever used a computer or laptop with amp sims for live sound?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Xenogen, Jun 8, 2019.

1. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

True, though - depending on the DAW - there can be conflicts, where various CC's are hard-coded to DAW functions, so you end up with funny situations where you program one thing, but the control does two things. Whee! :lol:

Xenogen likes this.
  2. Xenogen

Xenogen SS.org Regular

Yes, this can be very annoying. A DAW is just like the very computer running it. You have to be *very* specific with your commands otherwise they can and will be interpreted in other ways.

synrgy likes this.
  3. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Not sure why you'd want to use a DAW in a live situation these days (except maybe Ableton Live) when there are many other host applications designed for using VSTs/AUs for live performance:
    Mainstage
    Cantabile
    Blue Cat Patchwork & Axiom

etc etc.

Or ... how about sequenced live looping? Record your loops and have them come back again in the song whenever you want without even hitting a button during the performance.

Zen.Audio ALK2

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    trem licking likes this.
  4. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

In my case, Ableton is my primary point of reference. Been using it since version 6.

Honestly never heard of the other stuff. Will have to look into it. However, MIDI being what it is, I expect the same principle is roughly applicable. Also, the screenshot you posted sure looks like a "DAW" program, to me. ;)

5. Xenogen

Xenogen SS.org Regular

There's various reasons you'd want to use a DAW. If you're like me, you like to keep your options open and endless for how you want to express yourself on stage.

I like to play with click tracks in in-ear monitors for precision; have backing tracks in stage monitors; have automation on MIDI channels (this can be used for patch changing, CC automations and even MIDI to DMX conversion for stage light controls) and have all of this synchronized to the MIDI time code.

To have that kind of automation is impossible without a DAW, otherwise everything has to be controlled by a human.

I must also admit, it is great not having to use a pedal board while playing live.

Sequenced live looping... That's like recording on the fly isn't it? I wouldn't use it, but the musicians that do make fantastic use out of it.

6. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

7. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

The applications I listed above can do most of that, albeit with a need for some third-party plugins or apps.

ALK2 would be the most comprehensive and would be able to facilitate all of that, I believe.

And it’s not a DAW. Watch here:

8. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

And an example of someone who really knows how to use it well. I think you have to be really good at looping in a songwriting context to utilize this program to its fullest extent.

9. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Band I saw last weekend uses ableton. A lot of not-at-all-metal musicians I know of use it also. I use it for the little recording and mixing I do. It's a pretty cool program.

IGC likes this.
  10. Xenogen

Xenogen SS.org Regular

Okay, I'm sold. That does look pretty good. I would totally shit myself if I made a mistake on a loop that lasted the entirety of a song lol.

Or imagine if your amp sim crashed and you got the loop to sound like a broken record. :lol:

Backsnack likes this.
  11. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

I’ve still yet to have any amp sim software crash on me yet. :dunno:

12. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

Seriously, with things such as current multi-Fx units or preamp pedals (AMT, Mooer), and even poweramp pedals (SD Powerstage)... Why bother?

I'm playing a full show at my drummer's wedding next weekend, and I'm only taking a pedalboard with me. In fact, I could just take my AMT SS-20 preamp and do the whole gig with that thing alone.

13. Xenogen

Xenogen SS.org Regular

Cheaper

14. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Depends on the value you place on your time.

So far, this thread has been a great thought experiment, but has anyone here built a computer rig that they gig with regularly?

15. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

I would only consider it if I was going to automate the set with backing tracks or click tracks or lights or whatever. Otherwise I'd for sure pick either a modeler or pedal rig or regular amp, just for the plug-it-in-and-turn-it-on reason.

Xenogen likes this.
  16. Xenogen

Xenogen SS.org Regular

I agree with you on that. It is much easier to simply plug in and play, else if anything goes wrong turn it off and on again.

It'd take some effort, but I believe it can be achieved with a live VST set up.

I will attempt to get a basic set up working at some point. I have a basic idea of what to use with the equipment I already have.

17. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Some good arguments here for multieffect/modelers vs. laptops.

I think it depends on what you’re doing in your performance. If you’re just playing guitar with a band, something like a Helix is probably more cost-effective.

But if you’re a multi-instrumentalist, one-man-band sort of show, a laptop and interface could give you more flexibility for looping, backing tracks, and controlling multiple things with MIDI all at once.

18. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

Tonight, our laptop USB port decided not to work anymore, so we couldn't use the stuff we had on a USB drive for the show. Yay for laptops! Good thing I wasn't planning to connect my guitar to an USB interface...

And... cheaper? I highly doubt it, specially considering not only money has value. Reliability, ease of use, portability, latency... I'd rather take a dedicated guitar preamp (either digital or analog) than a laptop, hands down.

And I wouldn't trust a cheap laptop, either. So where are the savings?

synrgy and MetalHex like this.
  19. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King

I ran across this video from Ola while researching the UA Arrow and thought it should be relevant to this thread.

Xenogen likes this.
  20. Djedi

Djedi Member

This idea is okay for practice/jamming or performing one song intended with no patch changes. Otherwise, it's not too practical considering alternative options. For example, I picked up a Pod HD for $80 today and is much more feasible for a live rig.

Emperoff and Xenogen like this.