Has anyone ever actually found THEIR tone??

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Gmork, Aug 24, 2021.

1. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace $$60,000,000,000

This is why I say tone is definitely in the fingers (and the instrument in your hand, sans electronics), and that what you get from gear -- from the pickups to the speakers -- should more or less be referred to as "voicing."

It probably isn't necessarily "better," per se, but it is likely less "cluttered" of unwanted bits and pieces; more "pure" for lack of a better word.

2. TheBlackBard

TheBlackBard SS.org Regular

The more and more I fiddle with various pedals with a purely solid state signal, I feel I'm getting much closer. The Burial At Sea put me pretty damn close being boosted with a Boss SD-1 with an EQ in the loop. That said, I'm still buying the Klirrton Oh My Goat.

Gmork likes this.
  3. SSK0909

SSK0909 SS.org Regular

I have found it by accepting that it doesnt exist xD
    I have a couple of presets I always use on the Kemper. And when my stupid brain one day concludes a presets doesnt sound as good as it used to, I just say "F U brain!"

Sometimes i switch to a radically different preset and play that for a while. Just to reset my brain and ears.

Years of playing has also taught me that there is no tone to end them all. You have to adapt to the venue when playing life and cant just rely on the same sound every gig. If you do. The sound guy will fix that for you xD

4. StevenC

StevenC Javier Strat 8 2022

Finally getting a Buzzaround has made me probably the most content I've ever been with my tone.

5. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

I'm honestly happy with a 6505 and orange cab. Fits my current band very well and sounds like the sound of guitar that I hear in my head.

Tone chasing doesn't really do much for me anymore, still end up sounding like me.

BMFan30 likes this.
  6. LostTheTone

LostTheTone Elegant Djentleman

I think that in all things musical, not just guitar tone, the last stage of enlightenment is realizing you don't need to buy anymore gear or fiddle with any more settings.

We all start out as kids with crappy gear, and we all start fantasizing about how good we'll sound one day when we have 100w 4x12s and a proper guitar with sexy pickups and a million pedals and whatever else. And over time we slowly work towards that. Then when we have a really nice tone, we think maybe we could try a different way. But there is only so many times you can do this before you think that actually yes, we don't NEED to keep buying stuff. Oh sure, everyone likes to try new things. Tone is almost a hobby by itself, and it's cool to try new stuff. But you don't need it. You're chill with your sound.

I like Dual Rectifiers or 5150s into greenbacks with EMG 81s. That's my sound. And a load of other people's sound too. But I don't own any of those bits as physical gear. If I had the money and space I might do, but I need space and I only play for me anyway, so software is fine.

7. oniduder

oniduder HONKEY DONKEY

lost then found, over and over again

8. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

Yeah I've found mine. Many years ago actually. But @Spaced Out Ace hit the nail right on the head. Once its found we should be like "yeah, ok. Cool. FINALLY got what I was after". But thats why all guitarists are nerds. We can't leave shit alone lol. And nothing is ever "just right". At least I'll admit to being in this category.
    I've spent and traded more gear over the years I care to talk about. But no matter what I play on/through, I always sound like me. Sometimes better. Sometimes worse. But always me.

Jeffrey Bain, Ribboz, BMFan30 and 2 others like this.
  9. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I'm pretty sure I've been using the same Mark IV with pretty close to the same settings for something like 5 or 6 years now. I like the sound of that thing enough that I don't typically GAS for other tones very often. I only recently got a little Marshall DSL combo to get some variety, cause there's only so much the Mark can do, but generally speaking the Mark still eats it for lunch for a lot of sounds.

I feel like I do more tone chasing with bass than guitar - there's always something I don't like about my bass sounds, and I don't want to cover it all up with dirt/gain, so I'm forever fiddling with knobs and compression and even now I'm considering trying out new cabs, or maybe trying to get a good deal on a tube SVT head.

Lopp, Crungy, c7spheres and 1 other person like this.
  10. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Having been doing a few session gigs as well as writing/playing multiple genres, I have to make sure I have to be changing my tone and sounds based on the music I play. Obviously I'll be sounding different with a Tele through a Fender Twin with an SOV drive, than I would with one of my RGs into a 5153 with a Gigs Boson. And at the very least it gives me a strong excuse to accumulate more gear. :lol:

But of course, as tone has and has always been in my hands and playing, I've also resigned to the fact that I'll always sound like me no matter what gear I play.

I guess I sound completely different when I play keyboards...

odibrom and budda like this.
  11. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

I do end up trying to get the same basic sound out of every rig I use, which probably is stupid.

12. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

I dial my Tremoverb with boost for the max amount of midrange saw and crusty (not super slushy) level of gain. That's tha sound I like. I dont GAS much anymore but I think about the ENGL Savage and Pitbull CL once in a while.

13. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    I must add to my previous post that I use my Triaxis in a very unusual way, I'll use the LD2 Yellow mode (or any other lead mode) to get either clean or dirt tones with expression pedals.This means I get all the tones in between from clean to mean: crunch, mild driven, overdriven and saturated high gain. Adding to that, all my guitars deliver at least 21 different tones, although the average is well above 50... hence the question, have I found my tone? Yeah, sort of, I gravitate towards the Mark II / III / IV tones with the help of different pickup combos... it's just bliss...

Lopp, Choop and c7spheres like this.
  14. DeathByButterslax

DeathByButterslax SS.org Regular

More of a “let’s try this today”, than looking for my sound. The main thing is with my current rig I can get to the extremes of what I want

15. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

yup. Mesa Stiletto Deuce stage 2 into a Mesa OS 4x12. Maxon OD808, TC Integrated Pre and a TC Hypergravity Compressor out front. Only part I think I'd want to change is the compressor pedal... don't like the hypergrav much.

The spread of tones on the amp and the extra shaping options the pedals give me, I can get whatever sound I want on any given day. Stilettos are so sick. Most underappreciated amp Mesa ever did... and they know it, too, cuz they keep trying to sell it just with different labels slapped on it

eh I did that for years. It's taken a really conscious, dedicated effort to try and build up my diversity of .. tone taste? I guess? and trying to branch out as a player. So I don't try and djent when I play a Lonestar or something. I put the picks down and fingerpick or try and do whatever it is I think the amp was intended for

cGoEcYk likes this.
  16. devastone

devastone SS.org Regular

If you find your tone, you die, life is done, right? Either that or your bank account grows.

17. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

Anyone who has seriously gone down the tone chase rabbit hole knows that analog signal chains (and to a lesser degree digital ones, too), vary from from day to day (there are a million variables including what you have heard just prior, your position relative to speakers, blah, blah, etc, etc).

So any given tone is, by definition, ephemeral. You do not "get" your tone. You have to go out and "take" it. Day after day. :rocker:

guitar_player4_2_0 likes this.
  18. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Found it in many places, from modelers to tube amps but ever evolving in some direction. Yet I dial in largely the same sounds.

19. Crungy

Crungy SS.org Regular

@Gmork the GSP1101 is nothing to sneeze at. It's an awesome rack unit. I still have one but got an AxeFx 2+ XL that I feel is better because overall it's just easier to dial in.

With the AxeFx I wouldn't say I've found my sound, but a lot of sounds and flexibility that I really like. I am also in the camp of tone is in the hands, I'm not as far with that on guitar but feel "I'm there" with my bass playing.

20. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Miyagi-Fang Karate

I think people stop chasing tone when they realize that a little more technique goes way farther than another 200 dollar pedal.