Hardtail to Floyd

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by cwilliamson, Apr 27, 2011.

1. cwilliamson

cwilliamson cwilliamson

I'm saving up for a BC Rich Jrv 7 hardtail and I'd like to possiblly convert it from a string through fixed bridge to a floyd. Has anyone done this? Also is the addition of the locking nut detrimental to the guitar or know of any other cons to this kind of mod?

2. jymellis

jymellis Talk To DeWalt

buy a trem equipped guitar ;)

3. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

As far as I know you don't necessarily NEED a locking nut, I think you can get away with good locking tuners. But the strings do have to lock on the headstock side.

4. jymellis

jymellis Talk To DeWalt

ever tried a good dive bomb on an older fender with no locking nut?
    with the price of the guitar, and the entire floyd system youd be paying around $100 more than just buying the guitar with a trem already in it ;)

5. CooleyJr

CooleyJr Banned

I put a Jackson licensed floyd on a Warlock I had (bought it for $100, got the whole setup and was able to borrow a router for a day to where I put a neck single coil in it as well for a whole $100 more total). Honestly.. it's not worth it. Like Jym said, just buy a guitar with a floyd.

6. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Locking tuners unfortunately won't save a guitar from going out of tune. A good solid nut (locked or not) is essential to keep the guitar in tune. Even hard tail bridges will go out from a wide bend if the nut isn't solid enough.

If set up well, even an old Fender can dive bomb and stay in tune (hell, my Squier can survive all sorts of trem abuse just as well as all my guitars with locking trems). But otherwise, agreed. Routing the guitar and installing a good (expensive) Floyd can cost more than just buying a Floyd equipped guitar.

7. cwilliamson

cwilliamson cwilliamson

I looked at the floyd equipped counterpart of the guitar I'm saving for but i just really hate that its purple.. the installment of a floyd (if I end up doing that) would be further down the road. As for the actual process, my dad has been a machinist for about thirty years and with our shop we could probably do it in house.. Just wondered if anybody had done a mod like this before.

8. CooleyJr

CooleyJr Banned

Routing the cavity on the top as well as the back is a bitch. Lining everything up perfectly is even more of a bitch. Then you'll have string thru holes in your guitar (visible) which is the biggest bitch of them all. :lol:

9. cwilliamson

cwilliamson cwilliamson

Measure twice and cut once then huh lol. But holes like that can be filled in with a saw dust and wood glue mixture

10. Dead Undead

Dead Undead New again

Buy a trem-equipped guitar.
    Don't skimp out though. If you get a cheap trem it'll suck just as badly as anything else.