Hand injury from playing

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by rain85, Jul 9, 2013.

1. rain85

rain85 Member

well,

for the past 3 4 days i had been working on picking technique like crazy. did a lot of repetitions of alfamous spider excercise, also spider excercise starting on the first which required quite a big stech for me to keep one finger on each fret. I also did right hand picking fast on a single note.

Out of nowhere i developed a lot of pain in both my hands. they seem to be sore or injured or something. I had played for 5 6 six years before and sometimes for many hours at a time and sometimes intensely. but never had any pain etc whatsoever. although i never tried these spider excercises.

I havent played for 2 3 days. i can still feel my hands have not healed. i feel it a little when typing. and i know if i play again its gonaa start building up again. i am a little scared now. Someone have similar experience?? what can i do!! help!

2. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

There is only a simple answer: go see a doctor. And then, go see a teacher with your exercise, and he'll tell you if you have a bad posture or something.

3. The Reverend

The Reverend GHETTO KING OF SWAG

Damn, brother. Never push yourself beyond that natural limit. You need to be exceedingly careful not to mindlessly grind on things because you could end up with focal dystonia, more or less a death knell for any musician. Researchers think that overdeveloping the parts of your brain dedicated to any given fine motor skill can cause it. Not to mention things like carpal tunnel syndrome can pop up, again limiting what you can do.

4. Baelzebeard

Baelzebeard Grinder of strings

Get some ibuprofen and ice packs, and if doesn't clear up you might want to call a doc.

5. Shaft

Shaft Active Member

Hand stretches before and after every practice session. Sit up straight and keep your elbow tucked toward your body. Foot stools also come in handy.

6. zach200113

zach200113 Member

I went through a phase of wanting to play like the guitarist from slayer and did the same thing. "played throught the pain" thinking I was jst building new muscles. nope. now im sitting in a wheelchair. lol jk butdoing stretches eased the pain. also quit paying guitar for 2 and a half months. pretty much am getting back at it. do stretches and stop playing when your hand starts cramping is my advice. good luck man.

7. Kaickul

Kaickul ΛTRΛMΞNTVM

I recommend you to get Rock Discipline by John Petrucci, very good warm up and stretching exercises.

8. Metaguitarist

Metaguitarist SS.org Regular

I developed similar pain once I got over zealous in my practices. Soreness stayed for nearly 2 years. You're gonna need to take it down a notch I think. Sadly, we can't all be amazing virtuosos.

9. Datura

Datura SS.org Regular

In my experience with hand pain, i just don't do anything with my hands for a few days, don't do any stretches or anything either, just give them total rest.

10. rain85

rain85 Member

For a moment I almost had a heart attack lol!

11. Speculum Speculorum

Speculum Speculorum SS.org Regular

Could be burnout. Could be pre-tendonitis. A big emphasis on stretching (without overdoing it) and massaging out the fingers, forearms, biceps, shoulders - all the muscles involved with playing will likely help. But if you continue to have problems, consult the pros and see a doc.

12. TallestFiddle

TallestFiddle SS.org Regular

any type of repetetive stress can build up and cause damage if you aren't stretching and icing it. don't be scared, just take it easy, no need to overexert yourself practicing all day.

Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android

13. martinluo

martinluo Member

You might stop for a week to totally free your hands. This is an important issue to concern. Bruce Bouillet, the second guitarist of Racer X didn't have much chance to play guitar because of his serious hands injury.

14. Uncle Remus

Uncle Remus SS.org Regular

I got rsi in both my hands five years ago. Could not bend them let alone play guitar it was so painful. Had to stop playing for 8 months or so and it was slow going getting back to it.

I learnt from this experience that a lot of it is to do with what's going on in your head as you practise.

If you have a tense state of mind you will have tense shoulders/hands which will lead to injury. Even if you are not aware you are tense sometimes you can be as you get so used to being like this it just feels normal.

You need to switch your focus from the physical aspect of your playing to the aural and forget about your technique ASAP. There's an old saying that is forget to remember/remember to forget or something like that...

Oh and ALWAYS warm up. Start slowly and build up speed or you are asking for problems.

15. tyler_faith_08

tyler_faith_08 Strings of Chaos

I practice until I feel any discomfort whatsoever and stop. I do a cool down where I play string skipped arpeggios to a metronome and slow it down gradually until I'm basically playing eighth notes at 40bpm.

Always warm up, too. Just a basic set that you do every time before you play, practice, etc. Especially before you practice new things. A few weeks ago, I decided to warm up with something new by working up a metronome and within about 20 minutes, my pinky and ring fingers started hurting. I went straight into a cool down.

The last thing you want is to be unable to play for a few weeks/months because you practiced 5 minutes too long.

16. EcoliUVA

EcoliUVA Not Gifted

This is bad advice. You will not get to where you want to be until you realize that you CAN play however the hell you want - though it will take time and effort.

At this point, you probably do need to take a break. You've likely inflamed or strained something, and it will take time to heal. See a doctor, but don't just give up or resign yourself to mediocrity if you really want to play a certain way. The doctor may even tell you it's OK to do some light practicing, being mindful of tension in the area you have damaged.

Always, ALWAYS be mindful of excess tension in your playing. It's a constant battle, but if you work on it, you'll find ways to do what you want without hurting yourself. Playing fast is not an exercise in brute force, but rather in finesse (and accuracy).

17. StratoJazz

StratoJazz SS.org Regular

If it ever hurts you physically to practice, STOP.

It's better to take a day off to recover than keep practicing and seriously hurt your wrist.

18. DarkWolfXV

DarkWolfXV Excised n anatomised

I wonder how can you end up in a wheelchar from hand injury... (I know it was a joke, but lol)