H&K or Peavey

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by ibanezRG1527, Aug 23, 2011.

1. atticmike

atticmike SS.org Regular

Completely agree with you.

And as a side note, the cleans are really not that unbearable. If you happen to have two or three clean parts in some of your songs, help yourself out with a set of useful pedals to reshape the sound a bit. Acustic simulator and compression from Boss will do just fine. Also, they're a steal in used condition.

2. athawulf

athawulf SS.org Regular

Yeah the last two times I saw them they were using the Peaveys. I thought they used to record with Kranks though? Or did I misread somewhere.

Isn't this the new version of the xxx? :lol:

http://www.peavey.com/products/inst.../index.cfm/item/117566/Triple XXX(TM) II.html

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

The 3120 is the XXX, the guys over on the Peavey Amp Forum confirmed it by tearing them down and looking at the guts. The components/values are the same.

The XXX II is the JSX now that Satch is with Marshall now. Once again, this has been confirmed.

Remember both the XXX and JSX were born from the same amp range, the Ultra series.

4. athawulf

athawulf SS.org Regular

Weird, I did not know that- thanks!

5. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

They started with rectos, somewhere along the line there is a video of them playing a Krank during the recording of with Oden on our side, they switched to H&K and apparently to peavey now but I wasn't aware of it. I guess it has to do with the fact that finding Peaveys worldwide is easier than a triamp and their maintenance is easier

6. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Why is the 6534+ out of the running? The amp sounds phenomenal, and since you can footswitch between clean and crunch on the II/+ models, its' effectively a 3-channel amp.

7. GuitaristOfHell

GuitaristOfHell The Optimist Prime.

This

8. TomasO

TomasO SS.org Regular

You said you like used gear, Rings of Saturn are selling their 3120s right now to compile the funds for an Axe FX setup.

I believe this is their listing
    PEAVEY 3120 - 120 WATT GUITAR AMP HEAD

9. ibanezRG1527

ibanezRG1527 Banned

not a bad price!! sadly i just had to pay rent AND get a car fixed so now i only have $100 to my name :D (sarcastic smile). so ill have to pass those up :/ but i still remain a bit undecided anyway. i keep watching this:

and when misa plays, it makes me wonder why id want anything else. the tone is SOOO fucking good (and i mean before he uses the TS9). and honestly, ive played about 3 6505+'s now and they just dont do it for me. my rg7620 was decent through it but when im shelling out over $1000, decent just isnt good enough

10. traditional

traditional SS.org Regular

What's your problem with boosting? Your entire tone (that is to say, not 100% of your tone) isn't coming from the pedal. It's the amp being assisted by a pedal to sound better.
    A boost will do exactly that - make your tone sound better. It's what makes a 6505 (or whatever variant) go from 'decent' to amazing.
    I'm not trying to be condescending, but there's no point just turning something down based solely on principle. Turn it down based on whether you like the sound or not.

11. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

I used to boost, now I don't. Option is still available because I still have my pedal. :shrug:

12. ibanezRG1527

ibanezRG1527 Banned

its not that i WONT boost. id just like to know that if i break a pedal or something, im not fucked. because if i buy an amp that sounds like shit without a boost and great with one, ill always be scared of breaking the pedals. i have no problem with boosting (because if it gives me a good tone, then why not?) but id rather not need to. see where im coming from here?

13. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

Without a shadow of doubt, Peavey.

14. ibanezRG1527

ibanezRG1527 Banned

15. traditional

traditional SS.org Regular

I see where you're coming from, but I disagree. As long as you're not stomping your pedals as hard as you can with steel cap boots on, I don't see them breaking that easily. Obviously, all things break over time but it's worth remembering that amps do it too. You wouldn't avoid buying an amazing amp because eventually a tube will blow.
    In the case of pedals, they're quite cheap and for the most part are reliable. Adding on to that, Peavey's don't sound shit on their own. They still sound good, they just sound better with a boost.
    I'm probably not going to convince you, but it's just my :2c:.
    /threadhijack, haha.

16. ibanezRG1527

ibanezRG1527 Banned

trust me, i take all opinions into account. have you convinced me? not quite but youve altered my thinking a bit. ill have to ponder all of this. . . . .because if im going to start with this boosting stuff, i might as well get something a bit cheaper, like a JCA100HDM or something like that.

so convinced me? no but youve definitely been of much help and its greatly appreciated

17. Dvaienat

Dvaienat SS.org Regular

Peavey most definitely between the two brands. I really like the 6534+ and that's coming from someone who dislikes most Peaveys.

For $1200 you could easily have a used Mesa Dual/Triple Recto or a Mark IV, so bear that in mind. I'd always take Mesa over Peavey. I'm fairly sure I've seen Engl Powerballs go for just over $1200, too.

Have you considered Marshall? They are soild amps for death metal, though much different in tone to the staple amps used such as Mesa and Peavey. You could go for a used DSL, SLX or 2203 which are all excellent for metal and in your price range.

18. poopyalligator

poopyalligator Dr.Poopyalligator

Those H&K amps are badass dude. Not a huge fan of the switchblade, but the triamps are sweet. Definitely more versatile than the peavey. They sound great through the G flex cabs also.

19. ibanezRG1527

ibanezRG1527 Banned

well, thats definitely good.

and NatG; thanks for the suggestion but i hate marshalls. they just dont sound or feel like anything i want. just not for me (which is funny because i should love them. my last name is Marshall)

i think a Tri Rec would be pretty awesome. REALLY awesome actually. but ive NEVER EVER seen one for less than $1600 used. i saw a Duel rec for $1200 though but sadly, i couldnt play it since it was all fucked up. i should start looking for a t-rec

20. ibanezRG1527

ibanezRG1527 Banned

anyone know if zZounds is a good website? theyre not scamming or anything like that? i know its a stupid fucking question but that 4 month payment plan seems too good to be true.

Peavey 6534 Plus Guitar Amp Head at zZounds

because i could EASILY afford $290 a month. even with my crappy, part-time jewel job. and you only have to make one payment before they send it to you. so are there ANY problems with this site? because if not, im getting a 6534+ and a review/clips will follow.

this is exactly what it says.

Need it now but short on cash? All we need is a quarter up front and the rest in 3 monthly payments.
    Fast approval.
    We approve everyone, with very few exceptions, as long as we can verify your identity.
    No interest. Ever.
    It's just as if you paid the whole amount up front!
    No paperwork. Nothing to track.
    No application to mail or fax, no bills to pay. We automatically charge the payments to your credit card.
    We'll wait on your money so you don't have to wait for your gear!