Gyrock Guitars Are Weird

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by KnightBrolaire, Feb 11, 2020.

1. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Realistically, I think this is the biggest reason why what I'm thinking isn't reality already.

Solodini and c7spheres like this.
  2. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Why make them thinner, if that increases cost and most people literally don't change pickups over the whole guitar life? Solution looking for a problem...

If all companies had a "quick change" system, they'd obviously never agree on a common system. Why should the make your life easier switching to another brand if you could as well just buy another pickup from their lineup?

c7spheres likes this.
  3. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I LOVE THAT BAss!

- I think soldering is easy when you have the right soldering iron, the proper space, lighting, clamps etc. Always have the right tools and setup/space for the job or it's a nightmare.

Solodini likes this.
  4. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Well, I guess, but that's *really* niche and probably wouldn't support a business.

Depends. Such a standard would also allow not-customers to become so, and there's a good chance it'd make people buy more pickups overall, hence profiting all the companies in the business.
    Besides, AFAIK, SD and EMG share the same connector.

Solodini and c7spheres like this.
  5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

That happened somewhat organically.

For decades, EMG was the active pickup of choice, and as such, they pretty much owned the market.

When SD decided to try and make an "EMG Killer" they went with the same connector so they'd be drop in replacements for the pickup they were trying to eat market share from.

Fishman did the same thing.

Currently, there is no standard solder-less system/connector for passive pickups. So if a brand decides to go with something, they're going to have to push it's acceptance, and hope it gets popular enough that other pickup companies start using it. Of course it would be great if DiMarzio and SD sat down and agreed on something, but if they haven't in 40 years, I don't see them doing it tomorrow.

There are plenty of aftermarket solder-less systems, so it's not like anyone is SOL if they don't want to solder.

c7spheres likes this.
  6. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

The only pickup change design I'm willing to accept is a compartment in the guitar where you store/load the pickups and then a pump action system, much like a shotgun, that you pump it, it ejects the current pickup used that flies off lime a discarted shell and loads in the next pickup in line.

Not at all practical or realistic but the live shows are going to be amazing!

7. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars SS.org Regular

I looked at these while I was at NAMM. They were interesting, but seemed pretty complex, and could only fit single coil sized pickups meaning you're already severely limited in tonality. Interesting gimmick but not realistic.

I didn't get to actually try one though, just flipped the switches (which had a pretty heavy feel to them since it's a direct linkage).

8. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 lifetime novice Contributor

Then pick up and throw overhanded at audience.

Solodini, c7spheres and Edika like this.
  9. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

Training day from 2001? :ugh::ugh::ugh:

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  10. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 lifetime novice Contributor

Ding ding!!!

Rosal76 likes this.
  11. williamsats

williamsats SS.org Regular

Very innovative idea but at these money i can get a Sky Guitar, "The One Guitar To Rule The Others" IMHO.....

12. Tuned

Tuned SS.org Regular

does it have a random spin option tho?

13. Tuned

Tuned SS.org Regular

"these go to 20"

and at the top position all coils are hot, all magnets on, and all the things metal in the proximity of 2 miles collapse on you?

14. Tuned

Tuned SS.org Regular

I do believe it is possible to evolve to humbuckers if the design itself lives long enough. I understand why they went singles only this time. With humbuckers, one will have to: a) find an engineering solution to reduce the minimum required height of a humbucker, and b) change the rotate pattern to lower-rotate-elevate. Simple as that, difficult as that. Softening the feel of the switches shouldn't be a problem.
    The only question is, really, the demand.

15. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Hey look!

13:40 is what I was curious about. I knew he'd do it. How could you not try that? : )

- And he actually takes the panel off and looks under the hood too.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  16. jwguitar

jwguitar SS.org Regular

Its a cool concept but I have to wonder how many people would utilize all of the pickups. If you know what you like (and I only use the neck pickup) then I just use a particular set of pickups. If anything it would be good in a store as a demo so potential customers could compare pickups. That or for studio musicians who need to get a whole lot of different sounds.

c7spheres likes this.